Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#151482 Nov 14th, 2007 at 11:30 AM
dave41 Offline OP
OP Offline
This is my first post -- so I hope I do not post something that is not acceptable to this group.

I have an 84 year father, whom has been a farmer, now a gardener all his life. He lives in central New York area. I would like to get him seeds - for his 2008 garden -- that produce "very large" produce items. I have often seen out sized pumpkins on TV, maybe "giant" tomatoes etc. I have no idea where one could buy any of those seeds - that I would like to give to my Dad as a Christmas present. He sure takes a lot of pride in his garden - I am sure he would really appreciate the novelty of any of those items (aka bragging rights among his peer group).

Any ordering advice would be sincerely appreciated (sure hard to buy anything "new" for an 84 year old).

Thanks for your consideration of my question.

dave

dave41 #151486 Nov 14th, 2007 at 12:07 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi Dave! What a great idea for a Christmas present!

I am in a rush right just now, but when I come back around dinner time (EST), I will look in our archives for you. Several years ago I posted about giant produce brands and will dig it all up for you. Meantime, I'm sure others will also have likely suggestions!

Back later --

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #152190 Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:48 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sorry for the delay...

Okay, here's what was in our archive.

From the Thompson & Morgan catalog, you can order giant varieties of tomato, cucumber, marrow, squash, carrots, parsnip, cabbage and pumpkin. Also, the Football Onion which weighs in at 5 lbs.

Gurney & Mellinger's carries the giant bell pepper called The Big Bertha as well as the Bushel Gourd. The Bushel Gourd grows to 100 lbs but gets lighter as it dries down to 1 lb. It can be cut open and used for a planter or a toy box, etc.

The largest varieties of watermelon...

The Black Diamon from Jung can grow to 50 lbs.
Cobb Gem from Gurney can get to 130 lbs.
Caroline Cross #183 from Burpee can get to 200 lbs.

I would suggest you look for these seed suppliers on-line.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #158611 Dec 5th, 2007 at 12:53 PM
dave41 Offline OP
OP Offline
Merme-

A sincere thanks - for your most informative/ "right on" reply. Alas I have been without net access for a couple of weeks - unable to pass along my sincere thanks for your info. I am sure my dad will enjoy the inexpensive seeds I have ordered, as much as anything he receives for Christmas!!

Again THANKs-
dave

dave41 #159013 Dec 6th, 2007 at 08:41 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Glad to help!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image