Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
by the way Diane, I got your seeds today. Thank you. I love the cool stamps you put on the back.

Ohhhhhhhhh Good!! glad you liked the stickers!

I believe the site I posted said depending on the season will the color differ in darkness It showed Dr,S blommed in spring summer and Fall I believe, I believe temp and Sun Exposure per hours in the day affects it's bloom color it's only slight but I'm thinking in the summer it would be somewhat darker in color tho the same color just darker,, Because of longer hours and more intense Sun

on that link you can click on the pictures Mannnnn that DR.S trees is huge and gorgeous! They also have a strong Fragrance,,, Do your blooms smell really good??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Here is a great site for Brugs Listing in alphabetical order

Great Pictures too,, http://www.brugmansia.us/galleries/v/brugmansia/

Just click on the albums! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Diane, I went out this afternoon late while the flowers were open and they do smell good. Not over whelming but sweet. I got Johnny to take a snif in case it was the power of suggestion and he said they do smell sweet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
so are brugs full sun?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
for you and I Jiffy part shade I have mine in part shade too hot here,, and I have to water dailey or the leaves get limp like wilted lettuce,, after an hour or so after watering they perk right back up tho...

Sheri,, It doesn't look completely opened with it's "wings" back ~ another day or two or and it will smell stronger and have it's true color ,,,,,Please post a picture tomarrow and the next day ?? grin clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I grow Dr Suess.so Dianne,your set for that one.

I'll have to look around my e mail files.I sent Bonnie brugs& I got Jamica yellow from her,But I should have what she offered after her e bay sales from 2 years ago& she DID have mega tons of dr suess cuttings,I think the other orange one she had was miama glow& she had some un unowns too.Jamicia yellow can throw some shredded flowers too and the shredded's won't smell.My jamicia yellow has not got buds this year yet,but does look alot better.it does have short flowers,but can't recall how they hung.She had charles G also.I just can't remember the rest off top head.

some of my brugs are in full sun.frosty pink is in full sun,but is mulched.Its 12 feet tall with 7 trunks.I bet If I'd have kept it to 2-3 trunks it would have been 20 ft tall.It did like LOTS of water 3 times a day.I've had to put a bungie cord on its trunks cause they we're wanting to spread out from the weight.I've had to do the same on unknown pink too.it gets full sun too,but is only about 9-10 feet.I'm really dreading all this cutting.I bet I use my saw saw more than the clippers.

Bolero x AQ is still been dropping more buds than blooming...so after 6 buds dropped off ..........I've got one working on opening.which after the last bloom,which 3 dropped then got a bloom then 4 dropped....I'm understanding why she got culled!
Monika is blooming right now& the blooms are weighing the branches down.someone took my fishing pole tips when they realized what I had planned to do them!(I was going to tape to branches and stick a pole in ground to tie off the branches too....BIL is a party-pooper...but Kalui makes us do strange things...not to mention hot Dam)so her apperance is...well as-is.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...th_Oct182007Monikabudemergeing.jpg[/img]

Daydreams is blooming,but they don't look too hot.I hoped they'd look better as the temps cooled down some.Maybe this one ain't for TX.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/njoynit/Brugmansia/Daydreams/Oct212007daydreamsplantshot.jpg[/img]

My Creamsickle has a bud forming...and logee's orange has a bud forming and will bloom this week.Dr suess will bloom again tonight..charles G has 2 blooms about ready.Betty marshall has buds almost ready.I've learned my pollinateing problem is my temps!I'm too HOT.so at least I grow them well!One of my seedlings looks good.Its Versicolor peach x Vixen.It site right under Daydreams.Versicolor peach X mountain Magic don't look bad either.since the temps have gone down a wee bit...they've perked up....and the headless seedling that lost its tag....is growing again.I'm culling the rest of the no tags& keeping those left far from Duke.He's not as bad about my plants now.I think he's got the hint from me popping him a few times...very hard headed dog.and his mom,dutchess is pregnant...due Thanksgiving Day.I'm so GLAD we will be getting her fixed.I wished I counted her days the day I went to breed her BEFORE breeding.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
500 Posts
500 Posts
....and here's my one and only bloom....arrghh why wont mine bloom lots like yours...??!

[Linked Image]

i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Do you give it lots of feeding Alba??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
well Diane... I THINK i do...but ...emmm may b d brug doesnt 'think' what i gave was enough... may b i should feed more frequently...s leaching is a big problem here! Well..this bloom has opened more since i snapped that pic...

i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
2k Posts
2k Posts
I been busy in GH.Thought I'd at least SHOW where i've been.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm starting to move some things in so not doing it all at once.cause will cutting BRUGS soon as they finish flushes.I'm sitting here pricking out epi seeds so Diane can have rest of pod.My camera has had a major malfunction.I fineally found the book to it and tried the re set button and have a code of a 'irrereversable damage has occured' refer to page 93 which tells me if repeatedly re seting reset button don't resolve problem,find nearest service center....after 4 days of no CAMERA.I bought a new one from geeks and its arriveing in 3-5 days.It shipped yesterday.A ploaroid 6.1 MP and it has TWO video modes.so now my pictures will look even better!I took some photos with the sony in its malfunctioning mode...it has no flash or video mode right now.
Betty marshall is in bloom.
Bolero x AQ dropped its lone bloom after lasting a whole 11 days!It threw a triple,though camera was not FUNCTIONING for that& this morning after 11 days she dropped off.I think it came close to haveing a quad,but did not look formed all the way,but will cut open before going to town.My dropping disaster smells good durring day but that drop issue is annoying.I plan to dig the whole thing for GH and see what she does over winter with cooler temps & maybe try some pollon.Jamicia yellow has decided to grow some buds....and will likely drop them when I move her.I might move her from ground today so can keep some bud not there yet.
Dr suess has had a bloom last 8 days,edges slightly browned,but its still opening.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/njoynit/Brugmansia/th_Oct242007BoleroxAQ02-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...52007BoleroxAQmorningshot42o-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/njoynit/Brugmansia/th_Oct262007boleroxAq6pm-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/njoynit/Brugmansia/th_Oct2720079am-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/njoynit/Brugmansia/th_Oct312007BettyMarshall.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/njoynit/Brugmansia/th_Oct262007Drsuess6pm.jpg[/img]
If you look back at sept's bloom pics....you'll see how much Bolero x AQ grew in a month.
Diane,so you know...I want snowcone cuttings.I still have your christmas cacti cuttings in the shot glass too.And I've forgot what colors they we're too.I'm going to guess ones not red as the edges aren't sunburned.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Sure thing Njoynit You'll get some snowcone cuttings!! thumbup Do you want some candy cane cutting too?? grin All of my brugs are setting more buds! This will be the third time!! clap They;d better hurry tho before we get some cold weather!! nervous May I please Have a Dr. Suess Cutting!? You should see the MOT you send me it is TALL!!!!! I still didn't get it in another pot,, Guess I have to wait untill spring now?? why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
you can still pot it up a size,just whatever is easier for wintering for you.I have some babies that dropped on deck& rooted and grew beside the pot.I'll try some candycane.there's seed you got I want too.I just got to remember which ones..lol

2k Posts
2k Posts
logees orange
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
these we're day after it opened.It smells nice.

Betty marshall
[Linked Image]

Dr suess
[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
njoynit, you have some beauties. Would you like to trade some cannas for a double bloomer. The only new brugs I got this year was Axle rose, Maya, Sanguinea if these intrest you I could take cuttings but they would be green cuttings. I have Herrenhauser Garten that I have had for 3 yrs it is 7' tall and has the Y but has not ever bloomed. I am ready to shoot this thing. LOL

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit was it the dble petaled Purple datura?? you wanted or the dble petaled white holly hocks?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I'll take some Double purple dauntra dianne,I know its something growing in the front yard around a tree with the coneflowers.Maybe its bergamont?I've had a few drinks over the summer.I was going through my bottles earlier getting discusted cause they all have only 2 or 3 drinks left in them...meaning its time for a trip PAST the county line to the middle of next county.I told Russell he needed to go scrap yard this week.We pass 2 liquir stores that way.I can re stock my tequilia& I think I want some rum.

cinta
let me go through my trade list tomorrow.If I have to.....I'll sacrifice some of my pink perfektion (I was keeping a trunk to root to see blooms as its not 'y'd yet)I got axel rose on my WANT list.I LOVE guns& roses.I'm wanting twisted sister too so can have a 'rock garden'.I'd like Maya too.I lost shirleys over the winter.

I got a POD forming.I found it on limb was cutting for shipment this morning.I freaked my neighbor out....she thought I was running from snake...lolShe came running to rescue me in housecoat with her mop.

[Linked Image]

I crossed 4 flowers on unknown pink with Betty Marshall.I think this was the one I left the pollen in when done dabbing.I'm so hopeing it will still form rooting in water.I learned last month Its not me haveing problems with pollinateing....its my climate.I'm too hot...so my chances are better in fall& early spring.I got my new camera today...but think the pods got me more excited.Anyone else& they would have thought I was crazy.Addie is nuts about plants like me...so she just thinks I'm normal haveing a great day.shes who got the seedlings my dog dumped that lost the tags.so shes excited she can grow a few seeds of this....away from my dog of course...lol and know where they came from.

logees orange again getting darker.
[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit here is a picture of the tree ring,, taken late spring,,

[Linked Image]

here is the other side of the tree ring not shown in first picture ,
white datura.moon flower shrub

[Linked Image]

is it anything here you wanted??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I'll go look through them blooming month photos,but not today.I need to work in yard.I grew your moonflower seeds.one of the plants bloomed & Brenda might take my smaller plant to try crossing with a brugmansia.someone has successfully crossed a dat with a brug.I'm on the list to trial seeds.

I had a POD form and found it after I cut the stem!here is another shot of it in kitchen.
[Linked Image]

I'm hopeing it will keep,but its iffy...BUT know I can hybridize now!so I'll proably dig more plants for GH...for that very purpose now.

500 Posts
500 Posts
cinta
let me go through my trade list tomorrow.If I have to.....I'll sacrifice some of my pink perfektion (I was keeping a trunk to root to see blooms as its not 'y'd yet)I got axel rose on my WANT list.I LOVE guns& roses.I'm wanting twisted sister too so can have a 'rock garden'.I'd like Maya too.I lost shirleys over the winter.

OK, I do like A/rose. The colors are pretty and it tried to bloom but it is getting cold and I had to bring it in now so it may bloom inside.

[Linked Image]

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
2k Posts
2k Posts
I've heard the variegation passes on in the seedlings...but coudn't tell you which forum I was in to read that.But i'm in BGI the most so that may be where.

I'm waiting for darkness so can go play with my camera and its settings.I'll proably run my batterys down,but will be fun all the same.sunsets at 5:35 so by 6 I'll be playing.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
The cold got my brug. It's all wilted and the flowers have fallen off.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Sheri Give it a deep watering and start cutting it back,, and put some cutting in a water to start rooting again for the spring,, I think it will be fine and come back next spring HEavy mulch what you have cut to the ground,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
sherri,when I further north in east TX I would take a bucket and stuff with leaves and place the bucket over the plants roots leaveing about 1-2 inch stub above ground. pine needles will work good too. The woody parts should be fine as they would have matured more. The greener stuff will proably turn to much. so get them cut and rooting and we'll see how they go. I was a 7b zoner then.And when you get freezes...water you plant in ground good the day before...it will make the ground freeze slower.

My pod is still holding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit.....Heres' My last Flush of blooming for the season,, I will be cutting back the next two weekends,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These pictures were taken today,, Nov 30, 07

I have several request for Brug starts off these, How soon after I cut down Must I mail them out,, and do I let them dry out first ,,?? If I have to mail as soon as I cut , then I will prolong cutting them $$'s are a little tight right now for mailings and can I send to Canada and northern states where it is so cold right now, is it safe to mail them and not freeze them.??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
WOWZERS Diane - that's a LOAD of bloooms for this time of year!!!
You REALLY have the magic touch!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
you can mail canada.pack the boxes with newspaper...something to insulate. I mark the forms as crafts-gifts for CANADA. I understand the $$ tight part. I just mailed out $70 of plants shipping cost,plus took me 4 hours to pack all those up. its really time consumeing when you do alot of them up. The woodier cuts will travel in cold areas better.You can use those one time use hand warmers when someone don't grab them off counter..or newspaper if someone don't take it to pack dishes. noprmally I like to wrap the cuts in newsprint. I actually used diapers...and I had a dream last night that kenny put those diapers on his feet as slippers and was running down his sidewalk slideing. I woke up laughing & couldn't get back to sleep.

I got blooms in GH.....gameroom as creamsickle & laundry room has dr suess trunk...with 3 blooms.I took pollon from those to dab in GH and dried the other 2. I did some as trunk cuts,till got some cuttings out of way. I still have a jug of trunks to cut up in kitchen. I've not got around to pictures yet. I just got caught up online. I got to take pups to vet to get stitches out& going to lowes,walmart & hope somewhere to eat. I'm going to try re doing things in ?GH...i ran into a problem...i've got a 10 ft brug plant i dug and its got some blooms opening tonight that I can't REACH.I can't fit a ladder either& my bucket...just ain't cutting it. I can't pull the limb lower cause its OVER a rafter. But HEY it smells good at night& I like the way Whiskers x Butterfly colors up in winter in there.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Wow! You must have been busy. Hope it wasn't too much trouble having to send them to me, sorry if it was. Would you reckon it'll work if I did put them under my feet lol

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
2k Posts
2k Posts
It was funny enough to wake me up laughing.

I was actually more busy sending cuttings out last year,but didn't send this many out in one day.Its definately NOT a habit sending 14 boxes in one day.I actually got a partial taste of what its like to have a JOB packing& shipping plants for a day...well at least 3 hours of it.

i'm updateing my media player so can use my MP3 player....then will go visit photobucket& be back.

I mailed you yesterday Diane.Here's info on your TOY!
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/...h&page=g_col_sutton_catfish_yo-yoing

2k Posts
2k Posts
Here are some pictures.and yep....I got blooms in Dec,Creamsickle has been open 9 days and slowly dropping its 2nd skirt,but is indoors now (but outdoors on bar right now till sunday) I've got blooms on 2 plants and 3 cuttings in GH.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/njoynit/Brugmansia/th_Dec62007GHlookingsouth.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...007WhiskersxbutterflybloominGH.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...v232007Creamsicklebudemergeing.jpg[/img]

pod on whiskers x butterfly

charles last flower (besides the 3 on cuttings and on trunk in laundry room)

Creamsickle on the 3rd in gameroom

2 shots of creamsickle on 30th
2 shots of creamsickle on 29th

Dr suess

3 shots of GH rearranged so can get a ladder in to pollinate brug blooms on a whiskers x butterfly which is 10 ft and mostly in center towards the right a lil.

Bloom on whiskers x butterfly

creamsickle bud nov 11th-it emerged. (I told ya it was s-l-o-w)

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
clap WOWWWWW njoynit! We both have blooms this time of year!!!! Tomarrow they are allll coming down to the ground we are Expection freezeing temps this coming week boohoo

Just ONE question!!!!!!! DO they HAVE to be mailed out as soon as I cut them down?? Like the next day?? I've been prolonging it due to Short on funds for mailing,, .

I have seen the Yo-Yo ,, That is Sooooooooo Cool!!!!!!!!! grin clap clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
no but some hold up better in water than others.It just makes it a lil harder wrapping for packing if the roots have just started?like when are 1/4 in- 1/2 inch. I seen ya already had cooler weather.your haveing 40s while I'm down here sweating in upper 70s& the rain showers have made real it muggy.We won't get cooler till Wensday and your getting more rain than us.

I have 21 blooms in the GH then creamsickle has its bloom on porch railing(day 12 but looking shabby on edges) I got 4 more blooms for tonight 2 Dr suess 1 betty marshall 1 whiskers x butterfly.And my AC is running on day 2.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
IT's coooold here now! good thing I got your box today!!! Thanks!!! grin I'll send your out this weekend! You may get a few of each if that's okay,, The Pink beauty didn't get very big but had lots of Y's . I'll send you a solid Y branch so you can make three if them if you want,, ! :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
When i get back from christmas....I'll have cuttings.They'll be rooted.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Well All the brugs I had in ground has been cut back and topped with leaf filled buckets to over winter,, That was a killer to cut them all back, boohoo

I have mailed off many starts to a lot of you here,, and taking the rest of the starts to work to let them get theirs share as well/ This has been a great year learning about brugs and watching them grow into the beautiful blooms they have presented to me!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have questions for you..

why are some of the cutting peeling their skins after placing in water??

Even tho I change the water every day some of them are getting mold or fungus,, can I cut it again and start again with those pieces??

And sadly I think I have lost the two pieces of day dreams you sent,, boohoo tears tears tears

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I hope NJOYNIT hurries up and answers your questions, Diane - a couple of my cuttings have peeled, and one got so mushy I just had to throw it out just now. tears

BUT... I did pot up most of the other cuttings this afternoon! clap thumbup
Most have at least one teensy leaf growing out of an old leaf spot. bop
Here's crossing my fingers that they continue to grow now that they are in soil.

[Linked Image]

(Ya think I like [color:#3366ff]BLUE
pots or something?!? lol)
[/color]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I googled peeling brug, and one reseult said that loose skin indicates that the brug had frozen and thawed, and the person added it there is no hope for those :S The only ones that seem to fair the best are Charles Grimaldi (I remember some calling it the king of brugs) and frosty pink, maybe they're a bit more frost hardy? I have all my cuttings potted up now, and they're sitting on a heating mat (the seeds starting type) A few that Njoyinit send me are really leafing out now, and the ones Diane sent me are still hanging in. The top of some are starting to wrinkle, but I think they're supposed to do that. Most of the cuttings are nice and firm, the soft ones I had to toss, oh well. Hopefully they'll make it until June so I can put them outside!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I wish you both the best with growing!! luv

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thought I'd update you on 3 of my brugs that you sent, Diane.

Charles Grimaldi
[Linked Image]

Charles Grimaldi
[Linked Image]

Adora
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Those are doing well, Lynne.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image