Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#156165 Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:04 AM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a hydrangea. It is in a big pot on the porch and I thought I would like to plant it on the North side of the house now. But it's almost December. Is this a bad time to transfer in to the ground? I don't want to kill it! Next year it will most likely get too big for its pot and I don't think they make pots much bigger than the one its in other than barrels! It would make a nice addition to the garden on the north side anyways.
I'm in zone 7. (Oklahoma)And really, the winters aren't too brutal here, but I am a little concerned about the northern cold fronts. However, the hostas come back every year, so maybe it will be just fine.
Thanks for you knowledge!

Johnna in Oklahoma
Johnna #156197 Nov 29th, 2007 at 12:02 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Is your ground still workable? I'm in zone 4 and I've replanted in October.

As long as you get some time for it to be watered well before freezing temps set in, it should be o.k.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #160570 Dec 13th, 2007 at 03:35 AM
N.O.A.A. has forecasted warmer than normal temperatures for our region this winter so you may be fine planting it any time that the weather cooperates. It sounds like this is not a small specimen and therefore should be tough enough to withstand planting/transplanting.

Just remember to mulch it with 3-4 inches and water it deeply after planting. Our soil in TX and OK does not normally freeze so watering is required when the winters are dry. Of course, water again later but at reduced levels (such as once a week or once every two weeks) if the soil feels almost dry to a depth of 3-4".

The plants should go dormant soon and loose their leaves so they will not need much moisture. However, since our winter temperatures vary wildly and winters can be dry, going dormant here is like sleeping with someone who snores.

Do not fertilize with any type of product now. Better wait and add some manure, cottonseed meal or chemical fertilizer in May and July only. Hydrangeas are not heay feeders so a little food goes a long way.

For more information, review the information on http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/planting_fert.html

Luis

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image