Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#153810 Nov 21st, 2007 at 06:41 AM
OP Offline
Right after we unplugged the filter our pond turned brownish black. I know it is due to the leaves falling in the pond. I scooped out what I could but I'm sure there are some on the bottom. The fish have been at the top of the water a lot. They appear to be getting air.

My question is, do you think they'll survive the winter with the water looking as it does? We do have a heater in the pond to keep a hole open. Do I have to pull the hose back out and try to flush the water a bit before it freezes?

Thanks!!

Sharon

Nicksgram #154023 Nov 21st, 2007 at 07:31 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
the pump provides 2 things, one, it stirs up the water to oxengenate it. and second helps you filter it.

the water color is due to leaves and stuff settling and decaying in the water. i'm more concerned about the fish at the top. usually fish will head to the middle of a pond when it gets cold as that is where the water is most consistantly a good temp for them. can you run the pump even when it is cold? to give the fish air?

#154030 Nov 21st, 2007 at 07:44 PM
OP Offline
The pump goes through an outside filter and then down a waterfall. It would freeze for sure. They were staying in the lower middle part but lately have been at the top. It was raining today so I didn't get to see where they were. As the leaves decompose will the top of the water return to a more normal state? Or will that take all winter?

Thanks for the info.

Sharon

Nicksgram #154035 Nov 21st, 2007 at 07:52 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you might want to get a small pump to go in the middle of the pond to make a small fountain (i got one for $15 at walmart, end of season) to keep it aireated (sp). and i'd scoop as many of the leaves out as you can, the color won't go back to "normal" because of the tannin in the leaves.

#154437 Nov 23rd, 2007 at 08:54 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Jiffy!

Nicksgram #155893 Nov 28th, 2007 at 12:26 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I agree with Jiffy it would be best for you to put a small pump in and try to pull out as many leaves as you can. If the fish are surfacing alot they are needing more oxygen added to the water. I wouldn't add or change any of the water till spring.

Donna

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image