Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#154548 Nov 23rd, 2007 at 03:39 PM
lookie Offline OP
OP Offline
I purchased an amarylis last year, it bloomed nicely. After bloom done, I cut off stem but kept watering and fertilizing the plant until late Aug. then I ceased watering and left alone.
Mid Oct I cleaned up roots and re potted. put in nice warm bright lit place and waiting. very soon some greenery started. I have two leaves about 2ft high now but not bud in sight. I don't think I will have a flower for Christmas.

what did I do wrong?

lookie #154553 Nov 23rd, 2007 at 04:18 PM
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
I treated mine differenty:

I bought one last year as well, but when it finished blooming, i let the plant die down on it's own. Once that happened, i cut it[it was all brown and dry by then], and took it out of the pot, so it could "rest" awhile before planting it again a week and a half ago. It was starting by then on it's own. I planted it, and it's been growing much faster, and i think i already see some blooms on it thumbup

I wouldn't have kept it in the pot growing so long, or planted it so early. It usually only takes a few weeks to grow.

Try moving it to somewhere where it has a LOT of light, and don't water as much. If not, save the bulb, and try again next year thumbup

Best of luck with it!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
badplanter #154558 Nov 23rd, 2007 at 05:31 PM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts

Wild Willy #154600 Nov 23rd, 2007 at 06:35 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I do not think there is much you can do to guarantee the bulbs will bloom Christmas. It sounds like you have done everything right just be patient. Since it is growing I would continue to water you will get blooms eventually.

I see this question all the time "Why will my plant not bloom"? This has to be the most tortured bulb ever. LOL!!! Everyone seems to concentrate on putting it to sleep vs growing the plant.

I would like to tell you what I do. It works! I always get blooms without fail.

My first bulb. Brought for 1.00 in Jan.

Jan - Potted bloomed in February.
Feb - April - After the flower died continue to water and fertilize once a month.
May - after the last frost put outside in sun continue to fertilize and water.
Oct - when the first frost comes bring the pots in put in the window and water once a month.

My plants flower every year from Dec - March.

That is my method. I hope it helps some see these beautiful blooms. I think if we concentrate on growing the plant vs When to put it to sleep and when will I see a flower, maybe a few bulbs will be saved from the trash.

A well grown bulb with lots of nurishment will flower every year if you give it really good treatment it will bloom twice a year. One of mine bloomed in February and again in August this year. I found the more leaves I could get it to grow and keep growing as long as possible the stronger the bulb was to give me more flowers. Leaves feed the bulb.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image