Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#153731 Nov 20th, 2007 at 11:24 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone, thanks for taking a look at my question. Here is my philodendron, I've had it for about a month, and got it from a reputable plant shop. It gets indirect light (no direct light from windows), I've been watering about once a week when I notice the soil is dry, and I don't over water, just enough to evenly moisten the soil. The problem is, it's getting these wet spots that are getting bigger and bigger. The soil is not soaked, and the pot has draining holes. I'm not sure how to attach pictures on here, or I would. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you all.
Ryan

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts

yikes

Hi Ryan......welcome to our Pod.

Did you check to see if their are any insects on the leaves anywhere?
Like white fly ??????/

Now how to up load photos on here..

First you put your photos on Photobucket .
After you do that....

There are 4 lines of words below each photo.
Click on the last line , it turns blue, then copy..(Left mouse)
Then come back here on this type of page and click on right mouse and paste.

See if you can do that.

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ryan, set yourself up a photobucket or image shack account (instructions are in the new members/welcome wagon section) and then you can post a photo and let us help. i have no clue by your description.

and welcome wavy we are glad to have you!

#154108 Nov 21st, 2007 at 09:27 PM
OP Offline
Hi guys, thanks for your help. There are no bugs at all. I have a few pictures now. Also to mention, when I touch the soggy part of the leaf, it actually breaks and drips water. Thanks again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bacterial leaf spot perhaps? Look like water soaked irregular areas that grow in time? Warm temperatures and high humidity help the bacteria develop. I would cut the leaf, dispose of it in the trash and only water when the soil feels almost dry. Also, make sure the soil drains well and water does not collect at the bottom of the pot.

OP Offline
Thanks Luis, It's actually on every leaf. Should I just cut the infected parts out of the leaves, or cut the leaves off all together? Thanks again.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!

The information I have says that removal and destruction of infected tissue is most desirable but it does not clarify whether to cut off the whole leaf or the visibly affected parts of the leaf. My assumption is that the bateria is everywhere on the plant by now so, first cut a couple of inches past the visibly affected leaf areas and see what happens. If the unaffected areas show sign of disease in the future, cut all the leaves. At that point, you may also want to consider replacing the whole plant too.

Happy Turkey Day to you too!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ryan, you can cut that back pretty hard and if it is healthy at the roots, it will come back healthy. dispose of any of the leaves in the garbage. do not try to compost them.

also, please resize the pictures to 640x480 as that is the largest we allow on this site. photobucket will let you resize them without reloading them, and then the next time someone looks at them from here, they will be ok thumbup thanks for understanding!

#154387 Nov 22nd, 2007 at 09:37 PM
OP Offline
Thanks again Luis, and Jiffymouse. I'll trim them all back, and let you know if all looks well in a few weeks.

And I resized them in Photobucket.

Ryan

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup thank you kissie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image