Print Thread
Rate Thread
#152913 Nov 17th, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
how do you do this? i keep my hardy water lilies in the bottom of my pond....but for an experiment, i brought a water fern and some water lettuce in to see if i could keep them till next year. i put them in my upstairs bathroom in a indoor fountain that probably holds 5 gallons.....the water started stinking after only 2 days and now it looks funny in it. sooooo, why and do i just ditch them????? why

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
5k Posts
5k Posts
Are the plants getting lots of light in the fountains? You will need to mimic natural lighting for the plants inside and that probably entails a fluorescent light near the plants. And, also, what is in the fountain water, any chlorine or bleach? Plants will naturally decomp older leaves and pieces, so a filter on the pump might be a good thing. A charcoal filter will keep the smell out. I brought in my anarchis and hornwort and keep them in a fish tank that I turn on from 6:50 in the morning to around midnight when I go to bed. The hornwort slowly fell apart and died but the anarchis looks good still. It's probably been about 2 or 3 months inside.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
2k Posts
2k Posts
I have tried overwintering and have had luck with water lettuce and salvinia. They take more than a window for light. I had to put a heat grow light down on them and keep it on almost 24 hours a day for them not to rot.

My lilies and all hardies get left in the pond.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image