Rate Thread
#152162 Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:11 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
This year, we are limited on money, so I want to make mini loaves of different breads or muffins for people. One of the recipes I am going to try is one that I got from Emeril Live. It is a recipe for Lemon Poppy-seed Muffins with Raspberry Butter. The butter is what is giving my brain a challenge. First of all, it calls for fresh raspberries.....I'm going to try frozen ones because fresh this time of year is INSANELY expensive. Also, it says to place the butter into molds or onto cheets of plastic wrap and roll into logs. What would I use for molds???? Maybe like a small chocolate mold from the craft store?? And how would I ship these without the butter melting!!?!? ACK! HELP!!

I'm going to make all of my recipes for Thanksgiving and use the family as guinea pigs... lol

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
that sounds so nice, Jenn.

and yes you can use anything as a mold--whatever strikes your fancy-- I have even made a flat sheet of butter and then cut out forms like hearts. But to give away why not put them in small xmas bowls with lids (like glad has)?? or go ahead & use the lid of a stick margarine holder to shape it like a stick of regular margarine??

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I like the idea of putting it in those holiday bowls that Glad makes....GREAT idea. Do you think they will keep their shape in the bowl during shipping???? ...or do I need to maybe put ice in a slightly larger bowl and then put that bowl inside of it and then put the big lid on it? I really didn't want to have to put ice in the boxes to ship.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
no on ice--it will melt and you will have water---I would put either dry ice--OR those ice packs, forzen well of course, inside of ziploc bags--you can get them for $1.00 each--one to a box should do it, very close to the butter--if they are not going too too far--say being delivered in 1 day or so.--all should be well.

although my DD keeps the stick of butter (real butter) that they are using out until it is gone--& all is well. MY grandmother kept hers out all day & only put it away at night . I really think you will be ok with the ice packs. Look at a Dollar store or Wal-mart--they should have them.

also, I know you could freeze the breads to help keep things cold--and you may be able to freeze the butter before shipping---I know I keep extra on hand that way. you should just thaw out the butter in the icebox.

you could always try a sample out on yourself & stephen first.

good luck

________

hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
We keep our butter out all the time also....I'm not afraid of that. I just don't want the butter to melt and not be in cute little molded shapes.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well it will have the raspberries in it, right?? so cool is better---

but when I suggested the tiny glad containers, I really ment that you should just fill each container up--I don't think the little ones hold more than 1/4 to 1/3 C.--if that much---
I checked mine & I must have just used the last of them---because I no longer have the container they come in with the amount each hold on it.--

If you got the Christmas ones that would make it festive & your work is done,
However:
If you wanted to make small molded butters, you could wrap each in plastic wrap and then put them in a larger glad container. If you froze them then, and added a frozen ice pack then I do not think they would melt out of "mold"

________

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if you froze them hard, you probably wouldn't need the ice this time of year.

#152739 Nov 17th, 2007 at 06:59 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
That is what I'm hoping for, Jiffy. I looked for those Christmas containers that Glad makes, but couldn't find them at all at our grocery store. I did see the Ziplock ones but they are really big...I think they looked like quart size...way too big for what i want to make. no worries, I'll find something. :)

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
jenn, about the containers--I think you are going to have to go to a Wal-mart or Target--someplace like that. Although it is possible that a large grocery like shop & save, schnucks or deirbergs might have them as well--and if you look around I am sure somebody will have something to suit your needs.

good luck

________

hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I will keep an eye out for them. We are going down to Altoona for Thanksgiving so I might venture to Walmart down there (although I'm sure there will be shopping frenzy there and I DO NOT shop Walmart anytime near Black Friday...that is just dangerous).

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I checked in the grocery store today--the small containers are 1/2 cup size--although my store had NO hiliday containers--just the blue top ones---

keep me posted

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image