Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#152370 Nov 16th, 2007 at 08:55 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I was just reading on a site that lots of flowers you can winter sow in containers with clear lid out side. Has anyone ever tried this and is it late to do that this year?

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
ladyslipper #152569 Nov 17th, 2007 at 06:04 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I tried it one year. I didn't have much luck. I found it much harder to talk myself into going outside to take care of things when it was cold. And anyway in zone seven I start seeds around January so I really don't need to do winter sowing.

My year starts with the 12 week before last frost seeds and then contintues until I have all the seeds started, and then I move into the hardening off stage, then the planting outside stage, followed by the weeding and watering stage. Which is followed by the harvesting stage and then the fall planting and moving things around and dividing stage and then it starts all over again. I love living in Virginia it's great for this gardener.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #152603 Nov 17th, 2007 at 09:49 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OH my Tammy--you make me tired just reading about all the work--it is a good thing that it is spread out, huh??--
I do all of the above except I do not start my seeds inside TOO often-(guess I should huh?) and I rarely move stuff around--my DH is a creature of habit when it comes to mowing-- lol

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #152659 Nov 17th, 2007 at 12:52 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I live in zone 5-6 so our growing season is short. Also, I am the world worst seed grower. I have never been happier since I discovered winter sowing. If you read the article on winter sowing you know that this is the best no care method for hardy to your zone perennials.

I do not start mine until Jan - Feb. I discovered it is best to start your seeds when you will not have long above freezing weeks. That is why I start mine in Jan. Last year we had a long warm spell but it was raining so things that came up did fine because they were getting moisture. Do not worry if they grow and it turns cold. Remember they have not been grown in a protected environment so they are tough enough to know how to slow the growth until it is warm again.

I think anyone that does not have a lot of seed growing time should try this method. I am not home sometime for weeks so I did not have time to water seedlings when they were coming up and that hardening off thing was out of the question.

I start my jugs after Christmas. I put my soil in them and put them in the garage until I am ready to plant. Then all I have to do is sprinkle my seeds put the label on the bottles set them outside and wait for spring/summer and plant. No need to harden off because they are ready to deal with the outside world because that is where they began.

So this is my timeframe
-Dec 27th - Get my Jugs ready put in the garage
-Jan New Years Day go through my seeds, plan and write my labels
-Jan - Presidents Day Plant my Jugs and label - Sprinkle and label set them outside. I put them in a box to carry them outside so I only make a couple of trips to take them outside.
-May-June - Plant in the garden. They are strong plants with great root system.

I found the only people that had a bad time with this method was thinking you could winter sow annual plants in the winter. Unless it is a marigold, or cosmos or any other annual that may self sow in the garden ANNUALS DO NOT WINTER SOW. Winter sow is good for hardy plants for your zone.

I hope this helps you. I am not an expert but if you have any other questions I will try to answer. It has been a life saver for me. It has been a joy for a full time travel job, not at home gardener.

Last edited by cinta; Nov 17th, 2007 at 12:56 PM.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #152761 Nov 17th, 2007 at 07:35 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks so much for all that info. It was very informative. I was wondering about annuals and you answered that question too! I too never have had good luck starting seeds inside or the room. I am going to try this this year with cone flowers, and cleome. the cleome are annual, but they self sow in my garden so I am going to give them a try. I am planning on useing foil cake pans with covers. That is what the site I visited used poking holes in the pans and covers. I can't wait for January to start. I too live in zone 5. thanks again
Ladyslipper

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
ladyslipper #155232 Nov 26th, 2007 at 02:08 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I do wintersowing...not always in jugs...sometimes in 4 inch pots in those trays. I start in january. I thought would not be too sucssessful being i'm a mild climate,I'm hooked now and thats how I start them. some perienals do better started in fall then grow over into wintersowing period. off top of my head.coneflowers.daylillys. things that need a cold-warm-cold period. another tip is to get a stokes catalog. It has germinateing tables with each plant.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #155284 Nov 26th, 2007 at 04:50 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am getting trays this week and have soil and can't wait to try this. I am in a much colder climate and hope I get hooked on doing this. Have tried starting seeds inside with out much luck.

[Linked Image]

ladyslipper #168452 Jan 5th, 2008 at 02:31 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Here I am again. I got my trays ready and labeled for winter seed sowing and DH shoveled a path to where I am going to put them. Next week will put the dirt in them. Husband thinks this is all for nothing so I hope I prove him wrong this time.

[Linked Image]

ladyslipper #179741 Feb 7th, 2008 at 06:03 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Well my project of winter seed sowing has been keeping me busy. We are getting so much snow and i didn't take them into the shed this week why Sooooo I have been out and unburied them several times. But today they got buried again. now I have to shovel them out tomorrow as we are getting another big storm Saturday night and one for next Tuesday. yikes I am going to take them into the shed and leave them there till brighter forcast idea We have so much snow i don't see spring coming very soon nervous Meanwhile I guess I will work on diet and exercise haha

[Linked Image]

ladyslipper #179779 Feb 7th, 2008 at 07:55 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
In my climate I did not have great success in trays I did better with plastic bottles.

I think you will have better success if you leave them alone. Snow it insulation. The only problem you should ever have with winter sowing is if we get a long dry warm spell in the winter. Winter sowing is suppose to freeze and thaw get snowed on and the seeds germinate at the proper time.

If you bring them in now they may start to come up and then you will not be able to put them back outside.

Did you cover your pans with plastic dome? Snow is suppose to melt and water the seeds and drain out the drainage holes.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #181045 Feb 11th, 2008 at 04:35 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I do have plastic lids on them. I don't have them inside the house but in a shed. I read on another site to take them in to a shed when stormy. We are buried in storms right now. Another one wednesday and then friday. most snow we have had in30 years. The snow would have crushed the lids we have so much. Oh well we will see. Probly should have waited a little later berfore starting them

[Linked Image]

ladyslipper #183096 Feb 17th, 2008 at 04:47 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh this sounds wonderful.. I wanted to start some things from seed this year.. but I don't have alot of room inside and I don't have special lighting or heating for the little seedlings.. THIS sounds sooo much easier.. I can't wait to try it!! I bet I could start getting some of my stuff ready now.. FUN! Thank you for this wonderful topic!!

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OH, do you mind if I ask what types of seeds you are starting?? I have no idea what to try.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image