Print Thread
Rate Thread
#151851 Nov 15th, 2007 at 07:52 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Most of you know that we celebrate Chanukah.
The colors of Chanukah are generally blue and white - representing the flag of Israel.

Soooooooo, last year at WalMart's after Christmas sale, I actually found some crystal candle holders in the shape of the Star of David - otherwise known as the Jewish Star. (6 pointed, as opposed to the usual 5 points) I was soo thrilled, as they were 75% off, and a really great price and not something one can find everyday, and they do not look cheap at all - as a matter of fact they look like they come from a "fine" store. I bought 6, as all the others had broken points. rspb

Now, here's the problem!!!
I cannot find a blue candle to fit this holder!!! boohoo
It's tooooooooo big for a regular votive size, and too small for the typical chunky size. I have finally found an off-white just the right size at Michael's, but this color is not right for the holiday, plus it doesn't "do" anything for the crystal holder. It really NEEDS a blue candle to make it POP!

It needs to be 2 inches across.
Most of the ones I am finding are 3 inches, rolz and NO one even has them in blue.

All you Yankee Candle lovers... I will never shop in one of their stores again - last week I went in and found just the right size candle, only they only had it in red, green, or a goldish yellow. I asked the young cashier if they have any blue candles - NOT ONE IN THE STORE OF ANY SIZE! She said... and I quote..."I highly doubt that we will be getting any blue candles in right now!" I replied that surely they would have some blue and white, what with the HUGE Jewish population we have here in this county. She rolled her eyes and walked away from me. No manager in the store - only this one girl. I said out loud that that was the last time I would ever shop in that store. SHEEEEEEEEEEEEESH!

I called the company... NO BLUE candles!

I've looked in every other candle store around here... no blue or even white candles for the holidays in that size! I've looked online and have not found any except for the company that sells wholesale to Michael's, etc. And they won't order it in for me at Michael's. madd

Anyone... help???

I'd hate to waste these beautiful candle holders just because I can't find candles to work in them. why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #151854 Nov 15th, 2007 at 07:59 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Does the shade of blue matter? I can check at our dollar store tomorrow when I go. They have all colours, just not sure if they are 2 inches across or not. I will try my best.

I am so sorry your having such a hard time. I thought about you the other day and how you must feel left out with all our rantings on Christmas kissie and started a topic hoping you would fill us in on your celebration of Chanukah(you'll also notice I spelled it wrong lol but at least I tried).

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
plants 'n pots #151855 Nov 15th, 2007 at 08:02 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I PM'd you-- (when I pm'd you i was of the impression you wanted/needed tapers--sorry)
2 inches wide huh??
I will check into the party lite---can't guarentee the scent--but i am almost sure i could do it for you---
you will need 6 right???
2 inches wide & what size do you want the height to be???? although that will likely be what it will be, right??

& if in my travels i find more holders at a wal-mart do you need any more (I figure I could safely do it because a Wal-mart is a wal-mart don't ya think???)

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Sunflowers #151857 Nov 15th, 2007 at 08:06 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
That girl was rude to say the least. I hope you call the manager of the store. I'll look around here too. Trying to think back (my brain is on slow this am) I don't remember seeing blue candles before. Maybe I have and just didn't think about it.

Bestofour #151861 Nov 15th, 2007 at 08:12 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've seen different blue candles at the dollar store, they were blueberry scented as well.

Bestofour #151865 Nov 15th, 2007 at 08:18 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thank you all sooooooooo much! kissie kissie kissie

The thing of it is... we have a very LARGE Jewish community here - all sects, including reform, conservative, and a very very large Orthodox section in the village next to ours. It's very foolish of stores around here not to carry items for Chanukah - they are missing out on a HUGE portion of our holiday spending! And to some of us, it really is the ATTITUDE that is worse than the fact that they don't even stock the merchandise!

I'm so sorry to go on and on about it... it's just that a time of year that should be so very nice, ends up being frustrating to say the least...

Carol - thanks so much for your offer to pick up more holders for me - I do have enough for now, and they are sooooo heavy, that mailing would be quite expensive! I've been carrying one around in my purse the past week while looking for candles and there are times that I have to take it out and hold it in my hands because it weighs my shoulder down too much! touched lol

I'm going to do a search for Party Lite - maybe I can contact them?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #151866 Nov 15th, 2007 at 08:21 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
just PM'd you--there is a web site--but I know a few people who know dealers if it is needed---

________

plants 'n pots #151867 Nov 15th, 2007 at 08:22 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Deluxe Hanukah Candles - Blue/White

That is what I found at the Target.com site. I don't know what size they are but they ship in 24 hours and are cheap.

Bestofour #151876 Nov 15th, 2007 at 08:39 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
I just spoke with the Candle Lite person - one needs to spend $500 to buy from them! But she mentioned a few more stores for me to try here, and said that some of them will special order - so hopefully tomorrow my stomach will be feeling better and I'll make the rounds. Some stores she mentioned are Pier 1, Party City, and Joann's. I'd call them, but you know how that usually goes! rolz

Sheri - thanks for finding that kissie, but it's not the size I need.

Carol - I will keep your offer in mind - I went to their website but it's pretty vague as to what they carry.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #151904 Nov 15th, 2007 at 10:35 AM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Do you have a Bed Bath and Beyond store near you? When we lived in the city, I always shopped there and they had a good amount of Chanukah items there....compared to other stores. You might want to check there... I can't really remember if they had candles in the store. They always have the coolest menorahs there and I've ALWAYS wanted one (I'm 1/2 Jewish, but my dad left us when I was really little and I was raised Christian...but I've always been interested in the Jewish traditions). ANYWAYS, you might want to check there. Also, do you have a Boscov's near you? I know there are a few in New York. The Boscov family is Jewish and so the store tends to carry some items that are used for the various holidays.

I'm hoping to go down to the mall this week to have Maddie's picture taken with Santa. While we are there, I will look around for blue candles for you. :)

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #151907 Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:08 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks, Jenn. We do have several Bed, Bath and Beyond, but here, they carry Yankee Candles! But we also have Boscov's - I rarely go in there, but that is a good idea to check that out as well. I didn't know that the owners are Jewish - interesting. I don't go there often, as the mall they are in is pretty much a "ghost" mall, ever since the very large one opened just down the road.

The real problem is not just finding blue candles, but also finding blue candles that fit this holder - 2 inches across!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #151911 Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:20 AM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Yeah....2 inches is a weird size. Hmmm....ya know, if you haven't found decent candles for your holders by the time crunch time is here, you might be able to get away with some taller 1 inch candles with some festive decorationy stuff around the base of the candle on top of the holders. Does that make sense? It wouldn't be something soo big that it would cover or even take away from the holders...just something to maybe compliment them. ya know what I'm saying?? {I almost typed "kwim"....Know What I Mean....I use that alot at the pregnancy board that I visit...haha}

The owners of Boscov are a very nice family that actually live down in Berks County where we used to live. Al, the father who started the store, has passed away a few years ago, but the family continues the work that he has started. When I was younger, I used to do the babysitting for the synagogue that they attended services at. I took care of two of the Boscov children.....such wonderful kids! Actually, most of the kids I watched there were really great. ...and the parents were really nice too! When an older sibling was having their Bar or Bat Mitzvah, I was always invited to the "after party" to join in the celebration. ...and the Canter's wife always made sure the speaker in my room was on so that I could listen to the service (which I LOVED). I couldn't understand a word he was saying from the Torah, but I love listening to it.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #152006 Nov 15th, 2007 at 06:47 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
How come Target.com spells Chanukah with an H?

Bestofour #152026 Nov 15th, 2007 at 08:25 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Sheri - there are actually MANY ways of spelling Chanukah in the English language, because Hebrew letters do not translate directly to ours. I just happen to prefer this spelling with the "C". All are pretty much acceptable though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #152056 Nov 16th, 2007 at 05:56 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I had to take grandma grocery shopping yesterday afternoon. Would you believe the '1 to 5' store had tons of blue candles and none were two inches across the bottom. They jumped from an inch and a half to the three inch pillers.

I looked pretty funny with a measuring tape in hand measuring them lol
I can check at the 'Holiday Home' store next week when I go into town. Hopefully someone close can find them quicker for you. kissie

Sunflowers #152059 Nov 16th, 2007 at 06:23 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks so much for checking for me, Tamara! kissie
I don't think you would have looked funny measuring - I do that all the time for items! touched
And yes, that's exactly what I am finding here too - the votive sizes, and then it jumps up to 3 inches and bigger.

I am going to the large mall today - will look in the candle side of Bath and Body Shops, the dollar store there, Target ( a different one than the one I usually go to), Penney's, Hallmark (if they don't have Yankee Candles!), Bed,Bath and Beyond (this one also stocks Yankee Candles - can you say they have a monopoly around here???).

Doesn't this seem like such a ridiculous task, just to find some candles? rolz
Whoever would have thought it would be so much trouble?!? uhuhh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #152060 Nov 16th, 2007 at 06:27 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well hopefully someone can find them for you, after all we are doing a full Canadian/U.S. search lol

Sunflowers #152061 Nov 16th, 2007 at 06:31 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
THAT is soooooooooo embarassing!!! blush lol shock

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #152074 Nov 16th, 2007 at 07:50 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
no it is not embarassing, Lynne--we want to help you.

that is what we do for each other

________

JunieGirl #152077 Nov 16th, 2007 at 08:09 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I agree not embarassing at all but it will be ironic if we can't find them.

Sunflowers #152126 Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:16 AM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I'm going to fred meyer today and they usually have a good selection of candles. I'll see if maybe I can find you some. If not it might be a fun project for me to make you some?

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #152274 Nov 16th, 2007 at 05:30 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks, Cheryl kissie - I'm waiting to hear back from a friend who is friends with a Party Lite rep. I am so very frustrated because Michael's put more of those candles that fit perfectly, out on the shelves, but NO BLUE. madd And I spoke with that department manager and asked if she would special order them for me, but she told me that Michael's is no longer dealing with that supplier. boohoo The candles they put out were in back-stock! PHOOOOOOOEY! rspb

Party City said that they never heard of that company and never carried their candles, even though the company lists them as one of their retailers - HUH??? why

JoAnn's is also listed but did not have ANY of their candles either!
SHEEEEESH - how can this company claim to sell them in all these places when they've never heard of them??? why

Anywho... Here is the candle holder of so much frustration!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I found this cheap candle in a dollar store, but it's a bit wobbly, and I really would prefer a lower candle in the holder, and it's made pretty cheaply and looks it in person. The other candle in Michael's is just sooooooooo perfect in size, but wrong in color!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #152300 Nov 16th, 2007 at 06:53 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
perhpas you will have some luck with the partylite rep--remember to ask about old stock--since you only care about the color it would not matter if the candles were say from last years stock--

The holder is so very nice---

I have faith that you will find what you need---I could always get some of the white candles for you from Michaels--ya know--if push came to shove???--

and I will keep my eyes peeled until you tell me differently thumbup

________

JunieGirl #152313 Nov 16th, 2007 at 07:13 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks again, Carol! My Michael's actually has the white candles - maybe I should buy them when I go back on Sunday just in case, huh? But ours were not on sale, as you mentioned you saw them in yours. I'll have to find out how long one has to return there...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #152420 Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:25 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
If the candle is too high, maybe you can just cut off an inch or so from the bottom. I've done that alot with some too tall candles. To keep the candle from being wabbly, you could use double sided tape on the bottom of the candle.

I really like the candle holder. It looks nice and heavy.

[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #152436 Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:47 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
yea, Lynn I am thinking so--I would hate for you to be totally without in the end--surely this time of year the return policy is like 60 or 90 days--with receipt of course---

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image