Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Here we go, new topic open and ready.

I got a few more things the past few days...already wrapped and ready to go.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'm not buying paper until what i have is all used up. but i looked at another gift today grin

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
If anyone finds gingerbread man paper please let me know. I wrap my daughters presents in it every year and I'm almost out and haven't seen any.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'll keep my eyes open.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Me too.

Mark likes to wrap all of my presents in paper with deer on it. He gets a kick out of that....he'd probably do camo if he could find it. lol

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I bet there is some out there! lol

I will look for that kind of paper Sheri and let you know if I see any.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
If anyone finds gingerbread man paper please let me know. I wrap my daughters presents in it every year and I'm almost out and haven't seen any.

Sheri I will keep my eyes open too--and I will have my DD keep a look-out too. I completely understand the need for certain paper.
FYI: My girls are 27 & 21, and both are married--I STILL use certain paper to wrap their gifts in.
they tease me because i have a roll of paper i have had since they were VERY small. (It is seseme street)
I am thinking it must have been a BIG roll, don't you ?? lol

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
Me too.

Mark likes to wrap all of my presents in paper with deer on it. He gets a kick out of that....he'd probably do camo if he could find it. lol

Well Loz, at least he uses PAPER---My DH folded over a brown grocery shopping bag one year & stapled it closed---Inside was a wooden school house-Bird feeder. he THOUGHT he was soooo funny---You see he was to buy me a curio cabinet for my precious moments---Oh well the cabinet is in my hall as I type---

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

they tease me because i have a roll of paper i have had since they were VERY small. (It is seseme street)
I am thinking it must have been a BIG roll, don't you ?? lol

I wish I could find big rolls of paper any more. They are very hard to come by.
Santa used to wrap all of his in one kind of paper different from the family paper and then leave us the end of his roll. One year it was a huge roll of thick crepe paper red bricks (like you would make your own fake fireplace out of) bought the year before in an after Christmas sale. Santa is a thrifty soul.
Back then Santa used to get the "best" and most plentiful gifts. For my second family Santa has only gotten them one or two small gifts and filled their stockings. I took credit for the bigger gifts. The reasoning behind that is that even small kids can understand that you are broke and can't afford as much this year. But it is harder to convince them that Santa is broke and can't afford it all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I get really big rolls of wrapping paper at Sam's Club. It is cheap and there is lots of it!! It lasts me a really long time. But of course I buy other paper too because I don't like to have all my gifts wrapped in the same paper! lol lol

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I don't belong to any of the club stores. So that isn't really an option for me. But it's nice to know where to find some if I do want it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
yep--I too always had "santa paper"--because how could santa and mom & Dad have the same paper??? BUT I taught my girls early on-----Santa had a lot of gifts to buy and could only spend so much on each child-----

BUT I also said that they had a better chance asking Santa for a certain item thant me---

About paper: I would have several rolls of "Santa paper" on hand and then-several rolls of "our" Christmas paper on hand as well--

________

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My presents for Athena are wrapped and she's already saw the pile....she just thinks that I send them to Santa so he can bring them on Christmas eve. lol It'll be sad when she quits believing in Santa one day.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
ya know Loz, one day--many years ago-- my cousin & I were talking about just that item (santa) she said her daughter confronted her with the words--there is NO Santa is there??? she was so shocked she said nothing, hence the discussion.

so I told her--well I will say "yes there is" if/when it comes up at my house--(the girls were all very small). because----there is----in this case my cousin was the Santa--
then much later when the girls are older, they will gradually come to the realization on their own and the true discussion can be had. it must have worked because she did not call saying she had a crying child at home---

________

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i solved the santa discussion once and for all. i told the kids when they were the middle ages (just the time when their wishes got bigger and more expensive) that there were 2 things to remember about santa. thing was was that he had many many helpers, and they might be asked to help too. thing 2 was that if they quit believing in santa, he could and would stop believing in them. that would mean the only gifts they got would be from me. since it varied from year to year whether santa brought the "good" gift or lots of little ones, they never wanted to take that chance.

and when their friends would try the "there is no santa, it's just your mom and dad" they would reply "i don't know about you but at our house, the minute you quit believing in santa, he quits believing in you."

i can't take credit for that. a friend with 7 kids used that to keep the olders from spoiling it for the youngers. it worked!

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
That's good for both of you....... thumbup I will tell Athena there is a Santa until the day I die.

Cute idea Jiffy.

Ya know my mom SWEARS when she was little she saw Santa....I'm serious she swears it.....and she said it wasn't her dad dressed up or anything.

Then when Cory was little we were in bed on Christmas Eve, it was a tradition---he wanted to sleep with me because I was the most excited about Christmas(still am)--so I was like a big kid to him. Well we were laying in bed talking about how we couldn't wait for the morning to come and we heard bells, like jingle bells from up on the roof....Now I know that everyone was asleep, and I know my dad would never ever get up on the roof of the house to do that....it's too dangerous.

So, a small part of me still holds onto the idea that maybe, just maybe there is a Santa out there somewhere. :wink:

BTW, I love leaving milk and cookies and carrots out for Santa and Rudolph...it feels "right" and Christmasy....Athena gets so excited.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I always told my kids that I believed in Santa. I still do tell them. Even the ones in their thirties. There are too many miracles on Christmas to disbelieve; battles stopped during various wars and such. Santa has multitudes of helpers all over the world. It is a wonderful thing to believe.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
several things:

1) when I was small the coal mine in the town had a man dress as Santa, he took a bag of nuts/fruit/hard candy/ & a small cheap toy to each child who had a parent working at the mine (so perhpas your mom DID see "Santa")--I am sure the traditon was held by many mines no matter what town-or counrty they were in.

2) When my kids were small, one day they got a parcel stuffed with alfalfa in the mail--
it simply said that "Santa" was sending ahead something for his reindeer to eat when they reached our house, as he could not carry enough food along with him on his Christmas journey. To this day I h ave NO idea where that package came from.
3) we (the girls were small) had an experience similar to Corys.

4) No little ones here & I STILL put out cookies, milk and carrots for our "visitors"

I simply LOVE Christmas !!!!! :ding: bop

________

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
I always told my kids that I believed in Santa. I still do tell them. Even the ones in their thirties. There are too many miracles on Christmas to disbelieve; battles stopped during various wars and such. Santa has multitudes of helpers all over the world. It is a wonderful thing to believe.

Tina, I feel the same way

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I just wish the spirit of Christmas was around more all year. I love the giving and the underlying joy that is there in the season.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
I just wish the spirit of Christmas was around more all year. I love the giving and the underlying joy that is there in the season.

Once again--i feel the same-- shots

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hello all.

I went Christmas shopping yesterday for the whole day with my mom. And you know what? It wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be lol

I bought all my paper and gift boxes, bows, tags and cards and such. I am almost done with all my shopping.(I ran out of money grin ) I got some good deals also. I also bought myself a new snow shovel, Merry Christmas to me.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Today I am going Christmas shopping--(well via the catalogs) there are some things in them I want.
And then I am going to buy my SIL a Icel knife to put in his stocking.--I have to go online to do that !!!

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I might do some shopping from Sears as well. I don't like the crowded stores. I found them very bad yesterday since it was a government holiday. The stores were overloaded with parents and crying kids.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts

I love shopping without the hustle & bustle--a person spends less money too because you will buy just what you need instead of all the great deals there will be out there. But then close to xmas i like to go out just to see all the decorations, music & such. Having said that--I really DO love to shop.

ya know I hate that (crying children) I have kids & I understand it--but----

personally if I had my kids with me shopping and they acted up they either found out they should not have done that OR we simply went home.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
There was one store called "Holiday Home". It was all Christmas decor, it was so beautiful. I bought DD a few flavoured hot chocolate packs there to make up a Christmas mug(couldn't afford anything else with the prices lol ). If it's pretty ya just know it will be 'pretty' expensive.

I never have a problem with shopping. I make my list with an amount next to each person and a detailed list with what I need. I jot in the prices as I shop. I am never over budget that way.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
my whole family does the list thing--but we find it hard

when you budget say $20.00 for a gift you have to figure in the tax & such. I remember one year my Brother took his Christmas club $$, made out an envelope for each person he had to buy for, put the allotment in each envelpoe & still had trouble--we figured it was the taxes & eating lunch & such-- I guess a person should under budget & then if you need more, it will be there.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Our tax here is 15% so it's easier to figure out. I budget everything so it's 'normal' to me lol

Our dollar store makes it easy as well. I knew I could only pick up 25 items to stay in the $30 budget I had. The ten and twenty dollar gift baskets you get at Wal-mart makes it easy as well. Set price, set amount.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts

Gift baskets??? At wal-mart??? hummmmmmmmmm I must check that out---

but this year the girls are getting their stockings, a small gift or 2, then a check--mom will not be shopping so much this year--what i have done is pretty much what I will be doing. Luckily since I knew i was gonna have the hysterectomy in June i did some xmas shopping before it--so I think i will be ok.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Beautiful baskets. They had perfume baskets, soap baskets, hot chocolate or coffee baskets, scrapbooking and craft baskets and such. They had an aisle full and they were either $10 for the small or $20 for the large. I picked up a few different ones for DD.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
maybe I can get my DD to take me when we go to my dr. appt on friday---but sooner or later I am gonna check tht out--sounds good to me---

________

I have quite the collection of wrapping paper. I have paper from 10 years ago!! I use each paper one time each year so it lasts forever. I like to wrap each present with different paper. After I wrap one, that paper gets put back in the bag for next year. I usually buy it on sale or I will pay full price if I really like it. It has become a topic of conversation around here- Your mother has a weird obsession with holiday wrap!

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
hello Debnoel---I do not believe we have met

I too have paper from forever ago---i do not have your rule--but i have "Santa paper" (girls are 27 & 21, & married-- lol) & still use it as such

and I have other paper too, quite a few rolls actually,--& I too like my gifts to be different--preparing for my family xmas is MY Christmas

________

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Can't keep paper in stock here. lol I had to get a roll of dad the other day because I ran out again. I believe I'm on my 11th roll already if I counted them up right. rolz

Next year I'm not missing the paper sale after Christmas......I'm gonna buy at least 10 rolls. lol

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I used to buy alot of paper but I like the gift boxes also. Gift boxes are real cheap at the dollar store here.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I buy so many clothes as presents that boxes get expensive here after a while....a few years ago I kept about 25 boxes from Christmas but I didn't last year, so there are none this year....I decided I'm not spending the money on them....My one friend does pretty much all gift bags, she hates to wrap. lol

Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I'm a box and gift bag junkie. I always keep them from gifts we get. I have a closet full of them. I can't use bags for us, though. BT likes to peek into them!

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Gift boxes are 4 for $1 here. So I bought 20 boxes for $5., and two rolls of paper at $1 each.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by loz
Can't keep paper in stock here. lol I had to get a roll of dad the other day because I ran out again. I believe I'm on my 11th roll already if I counted them up right. rolz

Next year I'm not missing the paper sale after Christmas......I'm gonna buy at least 10 rolls. lol
uh, loz? if you are already on roll number 11, why would you only buy 10? why i mean, if it were me, i'd buy 12 at least!

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Here is what I do for gift boxes....whenever I buy clothes throughout the year I ask for a gift box with it. I put them away all year and come Christmas I have more than enough. lol That way I don't have to buy any!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image