Page 1 of 2 1 2
#147697 Nov 1st, 2007 at 06:57 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
[Linked Image]

Here you go Barb---the is one of my "bloomers" I have several--they all have th same "belly" the tops and shoes can be changed.

I have a creamic piece to put on my mantle for every holiday

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Very cute Carol!! I like it!!

#147764 Nov 1st, 2007 at 03:01 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks, Jessica---

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Junie girl

Do you make the ceramic mouses?/ They are well done..
Love the Pilgrims.
Have any Indians?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #147877 Nov 1st, 2007 at 09:18 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
June Girl

Very nice.I used to do ceramics it was fun but got expensive. Great Job!

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
dodge #147902 Nov 2nd, 2007 at 07:12 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
Junie girl

Do you make the ceramic mouses?/ They are well done..
Love the Pilgrims.
Have any Indians?

Barbg if you are not in a hurry, I will ask about indians and mice when I can get back to ceramics--thanks

________

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by ladyslipper
June Girl

Very nice.I used to do ceramics it was fun but got expensive. Great Job!

Thanks ladyslipper

________

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I plan on being very low-key this holiday as we are so busy with so many things. I will put out our autumn decorations, of course, and dig out our Christmas CD's to play Thanksgiving night, but I'm not doing a big hullaballoo about it all.

I love this time of year and I want to have time to enjoy it and not be overly stressed about all the "must do's" that can be included with the major holidays.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #150723 Nov 11th, 2007 at 07:07 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

That sounds good......Do your own thing....Right now we have nothing planned. ha
My son and his wife eat like birds ......So they would be just as happy with a pizza......

We do our own thing and dont go for the huge gatherings.. DId a couple times and hated the waiting to be served deal.......Was starved by time we ate ..
Stay home and eat all we want.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #150736 Nov 11th, 2007 at 07:23 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
carol jean, those are too cute! i can't wait to see more.

for us, in years past, i would cook a HUGE dinner, and everyone would bring a dish and we would eat all day starting at 1. one year, we had over 30 at the first "seating" (at 1) and had 3 seatings with the last at 10pm shock we nibbled all day too. that year, my mother in law flew in and there were to sailors on her plane who were reporting to a new duty station in the town we lived in at the time, and she brought them "home" with her for dinner. they were scared to death that there wouldn't be enough food, or we wouldn't welcome them. even on that day, we had leftovers lol

this year, we are going to play it light. on t-day proper, all the kids are going to their in-laws (scott and i home alone! YaY!) we may go to huddle house (think southern waffle house) or just nibble here. then on saturday (i think is when they decided) we will have the "big" family thanksgiving with scott, me, the 3 kids, and their 3 significant others. kate will bring joejoe, ellie will bring her fiance jeremy, and matthew will bring wendy, his wonderful gf.

i'll make a turkey, corn, cornbread dressing, and a carrot cake. scott will make mashed potatoes, and the kids will bring fill ins. it will be good.

#150742 Nov 11th, 2007 at 07:28 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Your choice.
wavy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#150744 Nov 11th, 2007 at 07:28 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
We are going to John's sister's for T-day. And to his niece's baby shower on Saturday.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #150750 Nov 11th, 2007 at 07:33 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Good.....the reason we arent going too hep......The whole family had a picnic at my sisters at the end of september......ANd everyone brought a dish , and it works out well......So we mostly all go in different directions the rest of the year.
She came by for dinner on my birthday and brought the cake and Ice cream.So we have Turkey day,, Dec 8th is Haley's first birthday party, christmas, dec 30th is my husbands birthday..............
COmes January, 2 different sisters birthday....One we must attend.

Now it gets pretty crammed for us......Or we are getting lazy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina #150752 Nov 11th, 2007 at 07:34 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
are they nearby tina? that's part of why we are playing it light on t-day. ellie's future in-laws live 3 hours away, wendy lives only 20 min, but her folks are having company and she is expected to be there, although matthew is welcome. kate's in-laws do the whole big lunch thing, and last year, kate and joe were still to full to eat by the time they got to us, so we aren't even going that route this year.

#150770 Nov 11th, 2007 at 08:06 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
We need to travel a couple hours maybe. It should actually be less to San Diego. His sister wants to give thanks that their house was spared in the hardest hit area by the wildfires. Several hundred of her neighbors were not as lucky.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #150781 Nov 11th, 2007 at 08:37 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I just got a message on Windows Messenger from Valarie---she sent the whole family to go and check out our family web site, so we could find out & comment on what we thought about "splitting" up the family this year for the holiday dinners.
She suggests
1) my sister & her family--go one way ( DH 2 kids & their sig others & their in-laws)
2) my brother & his family--go their way (2 young kids & his sig other)
3) me and all my kids & their in-laws go another way--with val offering to host this side of the family on the actual Turkey day. if she does that she will also have HER in-laws and perhpas emily's in-laws--whew---

THEN the next weekend (or so) the dudley family will all get together & have
a itiaian meal (or some such) so that will extend the holiday---

The only problem is where do MY mom & dad go???--BUT in all honesty they will go to my sisters because that way they can drive there themselves----------

________

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
WOW carol jean. that's a lot to figure. although, i have to say, that is why my thanksgivings were so big in fl. my inlaws, and all the families and their sig.others, and inlaws, and siblings and scott was teaching then and all his single students too! lol

good luck with that one.

#150799 Nov 11th, 2007 at 09:22 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks Jiffy, but really it just sounds complicated. the actual "doing" of it is simple---I just feel bad this year because I cannot ofer to actually "Host" any of the hoilday meals here--- nono

________

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
oh, you'll get over that feeling carol jean, when you aren't exhausted from the day! hang in there, you can take your turn next year!!

#150809 Nov 11th, 2007 at 09:40 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yep--and you know next year will be here before we realize it!!!

about the rest/& not being wore out--yes I know i will appreciate that part for sure!!!!--

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I didn't do my first Turkey until I was in my thirties. So I haven't gotten to the point where I want to do less. Of course my diet would be much easier if I would.

So I plan to do a BIG Turkey, stuffing, candied yams, Cranberry Sauce, Green Beans a la Tammy, Mashed potatoes and Gravy, and Dinner Rolls. And I plan on living on left overs for at least a couple of weeks. And I'll use the carcus for turkey noodle soup. Ooooops, I've already packed the tupperware. Any ideas on how I can freeze my soup?

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Turkey carcus soup--my favorite!! I will not get any this year tears--my SIL will deep fry the turkey & I never see the carcus after that.

Tammy: have you any butter bowls/cool whip bowls/etc?? you know what I mean--that is what I use all the time--I save my Tupperware for other things.

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I didn't do my first Turkey until I was in my thirties. So I haven't gotten to the point where I want to do less. Of course my diet would be much easier if I would.

So I plan to do a BIG Turkey, stuffing, candied yams, Cranberry Sauce, Green Beans a la Tammy, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, and Dinner Rolls. And I plan on living on left overs for at least a couple of weeks. And I'll use the carcus for turkey noodle soup. Ooooops, I've already packed the tupperware. Any ideas on how I can freeze my soup?

Freezer you soup?????
First you need a freezer..
2nd put some in a baggie or any margarine tub or any thing that seals.

My you do lots............. my son and family eat at her moms first and she is really a drag when she comes here........Ever heard of one who dont talk?/ Yep that is how she acts to us........Her boss told us the same story.

cant even fight ... Joke

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #150854 Nov 12th, 2007 at 09:59 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Perfect I didn't even think of those. I will definitely have turkey soup saved for these cold winter days. Thankyou all.

Yes I do a huge bunch and I'll probably be sending goodie baskets to anyone who doesn't have leftovers for whatever reason. I love being able to do that. Along with having sisters over for open face turkey sandwiches for lunch yummy. I can't wait.

Yep I'm one of the quite ones when I'm around family and so was my Aunt MaryAnn. It wasn't that we were being mean we were just shy around our more outgoing family members. I'm sure one on one you would find her approachable if she is like me and my aunt.

I remember my mom saying that aunt MaryAnn was stuck up. So it was a couple of years before I approached her at a Christmas party. But when I did we had a great time. We found that we had many similar tastes and ideas and had fun sharing our thought.

You should see me at our church pot lucks. When I get all done with my share of the work I find a place out of the way and sit quietly where I can watch everyone. I enjoy seeing people have a good time. And then when the line is down to practically nil I'll get my food and then scurry off to a corner to eat. Or if I am invited to a table I just eat quitely then excuse myself and wonder off. And believe me I've enjoyed myself immensely and don't want anyone to feel bad that I wasn't the life of the party. I just don't do well in crowds no matter how loving they are.

I have a half-size top opening freezer so I have plenty of room for the soup. That at aleast is not a problem at this time.

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

you sound lots like me......On the crowd part.....
When we have to go to his families......we both shiver.. Ha No matter what we say , his 2 sisters are teachers, and the other 2 in the medical world........
It isnt a good crowd to chat with..
Us farmers would rather be outstanding in the Field.. ha ha lol lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Jiffy ~ your plans sound great! I love that the two sailors were invited that year! How cool is that?!

When I was a kid, my mom and dad always hosted Thanksgiving. We had a huge dining room in the farmhouse. They'd set up the two long dining room tables end to end and then add the coffee table at the far end. She'd cover that massive table arrangement with snow white cloths. We'd be scurrying for days to get ready. And as the youngest, my job was to polish all the silver. It's a good thing that is a task I enjoy, huh? Mom had LOTS of silver and painstaking care had to be taken with each piece. But when we were finished, Oh my! How lovely that room was! The sideboard and the buffet would be waxed to a fine shine, all the candles and silver sparkling, platters heaped everywhere. And in between it all would be the floral arrangements she'd make from things harvested around the farm.

After dinner all the younger crowd would go outside to "walk off" dinner; the men would gather in the living room and the ladies would clear the tables for dessert and coffee later on.

My maternal grandmother taught me the tradition of saving the wishbone, wrapping it tightly in tinfoil and hanging it on the Christmas tree. I still do that to this day.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #150866 Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:15 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My mom will be here to do our dinner, although her house is in a bit of a mess now with Mark drywalling the living room and foyer....all of the furniture is in the dining room right now...not sure how we'll fix that.

We always split the day and go to Marks parents too....that's when we swap names for the Jingle Gift with his extended family, and usually everyone hangs out and watches football for a while. Takes about an hour to get out there and an hour back home so by the time we get home the tryptophan from the turkey has kicked in and I'm about half dead. lol

#150876 Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
devil

i know the feeling.......
Poor Jeff yesterday.....
I think Johnson smerks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #150877 Nov 12th, 2007 at 12:01 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
loz ~ that sounds like a nice plan for the day. If the drywalling isn't finished by then, might she be able to prepare the meal at your house?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #151014 Nov 12th, 2007 at 09:13 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Merme
Jiffy ~ your plans sound great! I love that the two sailors were invited that year! How cool is that?!...

Merme, for 17 years, we had sailors at our house for meals. if there was a single sailor, or a geographical bachelor, i fed them. not just holidays either. one of my best friends i call my "little sister i never had" was one of those. she came home for dinner and we joke that she never left. for years, she had a key to her house, and i was one of 2 matrons of honor at her wedding. i even got to put on her shoulder boards at her commissioning ceremony after finished her degree on a navy scholarship. my kids call her aunt, and i'd be lost without her.

...My maternal grandmother taught me the tradition of saving the wishbone, wrapping it tightly in tinfoil and hanging it on the Christmas tree. I still do that to this day. Merme
i've never heard of that, but it sounds cool. do you let them dry completely first? how do you do it?

tk reminded me that i usually do candied yams too. i use scott's mother's recipe. we did them different when i was a kid and i didn't like it.

#151016 Nov 12th, 2007 at 09:16 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, I clean the wishbone completely off and allow it to dry. Then I use thin strips of tin foil to wrap it tightly. They last forever.

Very cool about all thos sailors, Jiffy! Isn't it interesting how a "chance encounter" can lead to such wonderful friendship?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

dodge #151025 Nov 12th, 2007 at 09:38 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Gee, tammmy--barb--you guys are related to my DH. he does not like anything where there is a large # of people either---

he will go to very few church social things because of all the people--Did I mention HE was born into this church?? yep he has known them his whole life-- lol But now, I will only go if he does, so lately he goes more

________

Merme #151032 Nov 12th, 2007 at 09:50 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
loz ~ that sounds like a nice plan for the day. If the drywalling isn't finished by then, might she be able to prepare the meal at your house?

Merme

That is a great idea, I suggested it to dad...but mom likes to be in charge and I bet she'll figure out a way to move things so we can have it over there.....Not that I'd mind having it here at all.

Sounds like nice plans everyone has!!!

BTW, I saw christmas lights up on a few houses tonight ALREADY!!! Can you believe that? I at least wait until Turkey day to put mine up.

#151080 Nov 13th, 2007 at 06:08 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hoping you all have the best Thanksgiving ever kissie

You know here alot of people start lighting up their outside lights on Nov.1st. We have our Thanksgiving in October so it's full force after that.

I never put up my lights until the week after Rememberance Day. Hoping to get them out and up by the week end....if I can get a day above 0* so they aren't all frozen together lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
#151111 Nov 13th, 2007 at 07:09 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I love cranberry pie with koolwhip....Pumpkin pie with koolwhip..........
Tangy cranberry sauce.

clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
Hoping you all have the best Thanksgiving ever kissie

You know here alot of people start lighting up their outside lights on Nov.1st. We have our Thanksgiving in October so it's full force after that.

I never put up my lights until the week after Rememberance Day. Hoping to get them out and up by the week end....if I can get a day above 0* so they aren't all frozen together lol

I don't get hog wild about decorations and lights outside......A watt saved is a penny earned in my book.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #151133 Nov 13th, 2007 at 09:21 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Please please share the cranberry pie recipe? Please, pretty please?

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes, cranberry Pie--Now that sounds good!!! recipe please?????

________

Merme #151146 Nov 13th, 2007 at 10:00 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes, I clean the wishbone completely off and allow it to dry. Then I use thin strips of tin foil to wrap it tightly. They last forever.
Merme

Merme: is there any significance to the "decorating of the wish bone??

although my 27 year old SIL has never made a wish on the wishbone--so it is my mission to get it and have him make a wish this year.---

(now how to do it so as to NOT offend his mom--she will be ther as well)-----

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Cranberry pie...recipe.......This one is in my head an may not work for all.

First I make / bake a regular pie shell.

Bag of cranberrys ..
Wash
add water just enough to make it cook well.
Cook them till soft and mushy
Add tsp vanilla
Sugar to taste

Thicken with cornstarch or flour water......
Pour it into the baked shell and cool.....
Add koolwhip before serving...

I love it .
I will hunt and see if there is another recipe ..ha ha

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image