Print Thread
Rate Thread
#149777 Nov 8th, 2007 at 07:30 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I still have three clumps of these growing in the garden. And I do mean growing they aren't dying back at all. Do I just continue to wait before I dig them up to move or would they manage in a somewhat small pot until they are relocated.

And how am I going to get all of these pots to the new place. I don't think they are going to fit in one car load and I can't make 2 5 hour trips each way.

Is there anyway I could chop off the tops of the onions and just save the bulb over the winter?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #152612 Nov 17th, 2007 at 10:04 AM
At the top of each stem a small bulb starts to grow. From this develops the onion for next year. When the plant gets top heavy the stem bends over and the little onions plant themselves into the ground. After several years if left to do this on their own the onions would "walk" around your garden. I tend to pick off the little onion sets and plant them myself so that I can control the "walking".
So to answer your question...yes, you can pick them off and save them...or just let them have run of your garden (I don't advise this as they 'can' get carried away and "walk" all over your garden)

chrissy fair #152618 Nov 17th, 2007 at 10:24 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Thank you for that post Chrissy!!!
This is the first time I actually knew WHY these are called 'walking' onions!!
I've seen post on here about them but had never seen one and did not know how they grew or propagated themselves!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
tkhooper #152632 Nov 17th, 2007 at 10:51 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I still have three clumps of these growing in the garden. And I do mean growing they aren't dying back at all. Do I just continue to wait before I dig them up to move or would they manage in a somewhat small pot until they are relocated.

And how am I going to get all of these pots to the new place. I don't think they are going to fit in one car load and I can't make 2 5 hour trips each way.

Is there anyway I could chop off the tops of the onions and just save the bulb over the winter?

TK--I dug up my prized chive plant when we moved, put it in a pot and kept it in my besement by a window for the winter--I just watered it enough to keep it alive--it went pale yellow/green--Then when my DH made my raised bed I transfered it--I am glad to say it is alive & well--I even h ave another plant started that I plan on giving Valarie for her heerb garden this next spring.

you could try putting your onions in a pot, couldn't you??

Are you really moving that far away??? will you be closer to family that way??

I guess you could take the dirt & plants out of their pots,(I would wrap the dirt in paper & tape it shut though--and then pile them up in one place/box and pile up the pots in another place & simply put them back together when you arrive at your new home=--After all companies ship plants to us in boxes like that---Good luck----

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #152949 Nov 18th, 2007 at 06:03 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The area I'm looking at is approximately 228 miles from my current location but nothing is settled yet including my stomach. I'm just trying to be prepared for anything. I have so much to do before the move. I don't know if I'll ever be ready.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #152973 Nov 18th, 2007 at 08:33 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
The area I'm looking at is approximately 228 miles from my current location but nothing is settled yet including my stomach. I'm just trying to be prepared for anything. I have so much to do before the move. I don't know if I'll ever be ready.

tamara: Do not worry (I know easier said than done--but---)

I know from presonal experience--it will all work out ok.

we moved frpm a 5 acre "farmette" and everything still got done--and i am here sane & sound to prove it. You will get this done & be ok at it end shots

first we had a November yard sale--and people still came.

then we got a 17 cu yd dumpster and filled it up to brimming.

I took clothes & stuff left over from the yard sale to good will & salvation army.
then we just moved the rest.

Except for the part where I still remember having had some stuff & don't know if i threw it away OR just put it away someplace--everything is ok now--and you too will survive your move--just relax and know we are all here for you--i just wish we could help you move--- kissie

________

JunieGirl #153307 Nov 19th, 2007 at 07:22 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
you are so sweet to say that. I think I have about half of my stuff packed up at this point. And I've gotten rid of the furniture that I don't want. Next is to take the close that I don't want and take it too a friend. Then it's just a matter of keeping at my credit score until I raise it to the point I can get into a new place.

I'm doing my best on that one.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #153354 Nov 19th, 2007 at 12:56 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
sounds like you have it under control--keep up the good work & know tht at lesdt we are here to "talk' to and give moral support, even if we cannot give actual support. thumbup

________

JunieGirl #153509 Nov 20th, 2007 at 09:46 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The importance of moral support is huge, really huge. I'd have never made it this far without it. I really really appreciate you all.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #153511 Nov 20th, 2007 at 10:00 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
rose rose

Keep thy faith tk and come out smelling a rose......
You have waited veryyyyyyyyyyyyy long for the move.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #154032 Nov 21st, 2007 at 07:48 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
hang in there tk, and like your walking onion, you'll be in the new place blooming in no time.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image