Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#148378 Nov 3rd, 2007 at 05:20 PM
OP Offline
I mentioned to Dodge several months ago about being completely clueless on growing from seeds. I've only grown from tubers/bulbs. Well, it appears that I'm finally seeing something on my asiatic lily that looks like it may be seeds and I want to start a new plant them. This is the worst, most pathetic description ever but here goes....

After the last flower bloomed on my lily, the petals fell off and there was this long green pod like thing remaining on the stem. Since the last frost that pod thing has turned brown, crispy and partially open. Inside I can see many paper thin brown thingies stacked together. These must be the seeds right?? So if I want to start a new plant with them, what exactly do I do? Also, would I be able to keep it grown in a pot next season? I've googled some info online but am still unsure so any info would help! Thanks in advance...

Life can be crazy. Digging in the dirt keeps me sane.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup very good description and yes, those are the seeds. i'm not sure about the sowing technique on them, and i couldn't find these lilies specifically in my books, but from what i read on similar plants, they should be sown in full sun while the soil is cool (55-60) and they should germinate in 15-20 days. good luck and let us know how it goes!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
idea egad

daaaaaaaaaaa I just planted some lily seeds this morning and the temperature is 40...... yikes Is that sure death??????

I also planted some indoors.......72ยบ is that sure death???????

This is a new form of show an tell.

devil

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
from what i read, they need to be kept from freezing, and won't grow if it is too warm. i'd suspect that if you have a cool basement bali, you could germinate them there if you have flourscent lights for them.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap
Thanks

Jiffy

I arent too worried.....I have many lilys growin my beds and just like to make seeds start.. Mine are bulbs that I love.........

Someone shared seeds so I thought I would try.
I adore the blackberry lily which I grew from seeds.. Took 2 years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
Speaking of asiatic lilies, you people don't have a problem with the lily leaf beetle? I did and got rid of my asiatic lilies as I could not get rid of the beetle. I switched to day lilies, but i love the asiatic more, but couldn't stand the bugs boohoo

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
OP Offline
Thanks for all the info! Actually, the sowing process is what I'm unsure about. Honestly, I donot know what on earth "sowing" means. Sorry I'm an idiot...anyone wanna explain to me anyway?? I love this plant & only have one in my garden. The blooms give off a lovely scent , puts me in a happy place!

As for the beetle problem, I had none. I think all the bugs were to busy eating my dahlias instead.

Life can be crazy. Digging in the dirt keeps me sane.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

Just be cool, your here to learn just like us......When we talk of sowing seeds we are making a place in the dirt and put seeds and fertilizer into it water, cover and and water again........That is sowing seeds.......

NO we are bug free in Lilys in Pennsylvania........Guess it depends on location.

and time?
Hope I can help.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
I hope the lily bug doesn't make it to your area. It was devastating boohoo
I heard they came over on a ship in the Boston area and then spread.

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Gees............all we need is another bug.........
Along with flys.
idea

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sorry to revive a close-to 5 year old discussion but in reading the description from the OP, I had some questions. It almost matches my description of what's going on with some asiatic lillies I planted but I didn't notice seeds inside the dried up brown stalks but rather at the base of those stalks on the outside of them. Are there seeds inside those stalks? Once they turn brown, I just pluck them out of the dirt and throw them away but keep the seeds that were outside the stalk.

Should or could I just leave the seeds as they were naturally created in the dirt to germinate and do their thing naturally or do I need to do something to them first?

I'm very much new to all this...

Thanks in advance,
Jaci

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image