Print Thread
Rate Thread
#148227 Nov 3rd, 2007 at 08:35 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I was soaking my orchids today and notice that one has put it's roots over the side of it's pot. Now I know they don't need normal soil but can they really manage just dangling out in the thin air?

[Linked Image]
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
[Linked Image]

My orchid has been growing it's roots out of the pot for over a year. As you can see, it hasn't hurt it at all. This picture was taken in September. It has grown about 8 inches since then. It kept these blooms for 5 months. Within one week of losing them, it started blooming again.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
fantastic!!!!! I can't wait until mine blooms. And I'm so glad that the roots are ok like they are.

[Linked Image]
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
The wonderful thing about the blooms is they stay for months. Not like regular flowers that last a week or so then die off.

Do you keep yours in water? The bowl underneath mine has decorative marbles in it and I keep about 1/2 inch of water in it.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That's interesting I was told they were prone to root rot so I'm careful not to leave any water in their container. But I do have humidity trays around so that they don't get dry. Since it is going into the cooler months I've decreased the watering but they still get a 20 minute soak every week. And they all have the fat stems so I know they are retaining water.

Mine will be 3 years old next year and so I expect that if I have the right light conditions I should have blooms next spring. I'll be crossing my fingers anyway.

Moving in Mid winter I may loose all of them.

[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
tammy, when you get ready to move, put them in a box, then wrap the box in a blanket or comforter for the trip. that will hold the heat for them and keep them from getting frost bit.

and, take them in the car with you, not in an unheated trunk or truck.

#149096 Nov 5th, 2007 at 09:08 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks for the information Jiffy. I've put it in my moving notes so I won't forget. There are going to be a lot of plants in that vehicle lol.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image