Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello and I'm not sure what is the difference between sedums and succlents would like to make a pot full of them but do not know which ones I want?Hope someone can help me out here?Thank you all Rita

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
sedum is a succulent. not all succulents are sedums, tho. there are even some plants that have both succulent and non-succulent varieties - pepperomia, for example.

do a pic search on google for sedum - there are many, many different types. also, do a succulent pic search too...even more varieties to choose from!!

Zone 6b
500 Posts
500 Posts
"succulent" is the general word for water storing plants. There are root succulents (plants that store water in their roots like calibanus hookeri, fockea, kedrostis, and dioscorea), stem succulents (like cacti, adenium, and pachypodium), and leaf succulents (like sedum, sempervivum, aloe, and agave). Some plants are combinations like jades, which store water in stems and leaves. It's like squares and quadrilaterals; a square (sedum) is a quad (succulent) but most quads aren't squares.

OP Offline
thank you both for answering my question and I understand succulent water storing plants but then got lost from there ha,ha,ha. My mind can only whole so much?So there are a lot of plants that I can grow together in a flower pot without worrying about them?Bye for now

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I would put a few low growing types of succulents in the same pot. If you have a big enough pot...like 3-5 types would be nice. I used to have this cool ice plant (it has cool triangle leaves) that cascaded down from it's hanging pot like an ivy. I wanted to put it with some other type like baby's toes, but the ice plant ended up getting attacked by one of our cats and died. :(

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image