Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#146076 Oct 27th, 2007 at 07:13 AM
OP Offline
Like many in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic we have been under severe drought conditions for months now. I long ago gave up on the raised beds of veggies and things, but had hoped for the grass to survive. I don't know what the spring will bring but the little bit of rain we've been getting recently has been kind to the drought resistant weeds and other non-grass plants.
I'd been considering zoysia(?) plugs but the 5-8 years they take to spread is a long time to look at crab grass and other less desirables. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a faster way to regain a decent grass cover? Any varieties of grass that are more appropriate for my region (coastal Delaware)? I am not looking for an immaculate lawn, but something that is more like grass than weeds would be nice.
Under normal circumstances clover and crab grass made up a large portion of the "lawn".

Last edited by delawaredrew; Oct 27th, 2007 at 08:32 AM.
[A tongue-incheek reply]:
just mulch your yard over and go the botanical, or natural, style like how I've gone. Here,for example, is a drift of botanical tulips T.tarda:

[Linked Image]The only grass I have is a 30' by 30' panel in the back surrounded by a perennials and hedge border.

Perhaps our water issues aren't as severe as what you're experiencing, but give it a thought.

Last edited by neko nomad; Oct 28th, 2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: replaced photohost
OP Offline
We have been experiencing what people call a 100 year drought. We have had some rain in the last few weeks but in the 90 - 100F summer we had little to no rain. Most summers I have to trim the bushes and cut the grass every weekend; this season the bushes got it once and the grass 3 times. I like your idea though. I have been looking at ways to reduce the overall landscaping needs by going with more native plants, this area would have been coastal lowland pine forests with before farmland.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
once you put zoisa in and it gets situated you will NEVER be able to get rid of it. it's very invasive, also. so REALLY think about it before you put it in.

it turns an ugly dry yellow/brown when dormant and it stays dormant longer and turns dormant earlier than regular grass, too. the only plus with the dormancy is that, in droughts, it'll go dormant almost immediately and that is what saves it.

it's also very rough - if you like to walk barefoot on your lawn, it won't be too comfortable to do so on the zoisa.

yes, it does take a long time to get established - you could always put in twice as many plugs to get a jump start on it. or, if you really want it that bad, i'd be willing to give you my front lawn (the previous owners put it in) - i'm going to be pulling some up next year to make more flower beds and chunks of sod would give you a better head-start than plugs.

so, think about it. a lot!! and if you still want it, you can have mine.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image