Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#147865 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 07:20 PM . Red Hot Poker  
annie2 Offline
annie2  Offline
Wisconsin, USA
Hi, new member from Verona, Wisconsin trying to get some info.on how to winter my red hot pokers. I threw some seeds in a pot this spring, not thinking they would grow, but they did and I have 9 of them. I haven't put them in the garden as they are only about 5 inches tall. I am zone 4, am wondering how I can save them to plant next spring. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
#147869 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 07:36 PM Re: . Red Hot Poker [Re: annie2]  
angelblossom Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
angelblossom  Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

Arlington,Texas
Hello annie2 wavy [Linked Image]

Welcome to the Gardenhelper flwr ,, Glad you found us! grin
WOW You just threw them in a pot?? Geeeez I've been trying to grow those here outside for the last three years and Nada! boohoo Maybe I'll try tossing some seeds in a pot inside this winter! notme

I'm sure your question will be answered ,, obviously I can't grow them SO I'm interested in the answer to this one my self! teach IF you post this question in the plants and flowers forum more will see it and you'll get answers much faster,, thumbup Go to the top section above this box and you'll see forum list,, from there you'll see "plants and flowers" start your topic there,, and I'll follow up to see the answers too! :wink: clap

Glad you Joined us!!! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
#147876 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 08:14 PM Re: . Red Hot Poker [Re: angelblossom]  
Tina Online content
California Queen
Tina  Online Content
California Queen
30k Posts

So. Cal.
Welcome Annie2. I have mine outdoors in my zone 9. I'm not familiar with wintering most things. They should be slow growing over the winter though so should do well right in their pot. If you can give them light and light watering they will probably need separating and repotting next spring. My friend in Penn. just puts them in her unheated garage all winter and they live over and bloom for her. I cut mine back to stubble sometime during the winter but that is only because I think they get too ratty looking otherwise.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
#147897 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 05:43 AM Re: . Red Hot Poker [Re: annie2]  
dodge Offline
Hot Rod
dodge  Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Rural - Western Pennsylvania
Welcome....
Red hot poker................

You must be a carrot top. SO is my dil.......Hope you have lotza fun here and good luck.........Any questions just post an I bet someone answers.
We're happy to see you .

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in October
Gardening in November
Gardening in December

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, and Amazon.co.uk (this does not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Shout Box
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,010
Posts224,764
Average Daily Posts6
Members15,993
Most Online1,775
May 26th, 2014
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tina 71