Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#147660 Oct 31st, 2007 at 10:33 PM
OP Offline
Does anyone have a favorite type of pond heater? We'll need to put one in soon but would appreciate your opinion.

Sharon

#147673 Nov 1st, 2007 at 05:09 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Does a pond really need a heater though? My pond book said that if you don't heat your pond that you can just float a few balls in it so it doesen't freeze over solid in the winter and there is air pockets for the gases to escape out from....so that's what I'm shooting for. I didn't use one last year with the small pond but I brought the goldfish inside then....they are too big and too dirty for that this year so they are on their own, although it does say that if your pond is at least 3 ft deep in a spot that they will overwinter in our climate.

Don't forget everyone, when the temp reaches 40 and below in your water to quit feeding your fish....their digestion system slows down and feeding them can kill them when it's too cold.

#147723 Nov 1st, 2007 at 11:29 AM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i keep my pumps running all year so nothing freezes up. does anyone else?

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
faerywatcher #148682 Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:35 AM
OP Offline
I'm afraid to keep the pump running all year here in Illinois since the filter is external. Plus I read that if you keep the pump running, it brings the warmer water to the surface and colder water down. I can just see the waterfall as a frozen lump LOL. The fish are already pretty inactive. I sure hope I dug it deep enough! The goldfish are way too big to bring in the house. DH brought in one big snail though. All the froggies disappeared too! We had a giant owl perching on the garage so not too sure if "he" got them or they're already hiding somewhere.

Sharon

faerywatcher #148683 Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:35 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I was wondering about that....if that would be harmful to my pump with our frigidly cold temps we get???? why

Sharon they may just make it.....last year I thought I caught all of my warm water mosquito fish but I guess I didn't because there were some huge ones in the small pond this spring......the small old pond was only 18-20 inches deep and they made it so hopefully your goldfish will too. I hate leaving mine out there but the books say they should be okay.....I hope so because I will be devestated to lose one...they are my pets and I'm attached. touched My snails are all either gone or dead...I had hundreds this summer...and the froggies hopped away a month or so ago.

Last edited by loz; Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:38 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image