Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#146097 Oct 27th, 2007 at 08:19 AM
OP Offline
I have been able to find advice here on many different plants that I have been trying to grow. So I thought I would share a few pics of my successes. I only have one window that receives good light year-round so there are many varieties in these pics. The vine (Rhododendron?) that you see across the window starts in the "corn plant" at the far left and is now about 25 feet long. It has survived being uprooted by a dog's tail and has produced many cuttings. In the window are a couple of different Jade plants (big and small leaf), a "pencil plant", a wandering jew (I think), a xmas cactus, and an unknown palm-like thing in front of the red curtain. Next to the TV is a snake plant that I cannot kill, despite it being 2 years or so past needing a bigger pot. If anyone knows the plant in the last pic let me know. It is having some difficulty, we just can't find the right combo of light and water to make it thrive.
Anyway, a gigantic thanks to all who have posted advice for me and others.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The last plant looks like a schefflera. They need lots of light and moderate regular water. But I am unfamiliar with growing indoor plants. So I will leave that to the experts.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #146110 Oct 27th, 2007 at 08:59 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
The last plant looks like a schefflera. They need lots of light and moderate regular water

Yep that's what it is,,, the plant in front of the red curtain is a dragon tree.. It's leaves should 'lift' and extend straight out ~ if you put it in front of the window but back away from it some( if you have the room,, or just slightly off to the side) it should start to lift,,
Here is mine ,,just to show you what I mean by lifting .
[Linked Image]

I have a pencil cactus as well,, as for the snake plant/mother-in-law tongue plant,, they love to be root bound,, Last year Mine gave off a flower,, and I have it off to the side in of a window getting indirect south lighting,, the bloom is very sweet smelling ,, here is a visual,, Just so you can see what it will look like should one spring up in your! clap [Linked Image]

All your plants look great!!!!! clap clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you got good advice from all. the shefflera can tolerate irregular watering better than not enough light. right now, mine is outside in full sun, but will come back in to morning light soon because we get too much frost. i just have to repot it. it is about 15 years old (i cut it back hard, regularly)

#146733 Oct 29th, 2007 at 09:25 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I'll have to get a pic of my schefflera. I refuse to repot it, it's 6 ft plus tall and I drag it out in the summer time, rarely water it (inside or out) it does better outside because It does get watered more and gets more light. Mine was a gift to me in the hospital when I had my oldest daughter who will be 22 years old on her birthday November 14th. So mine will be 22 years old I guess, because it was pretty small when I got it,

if you repot it in a bigger pot it will grow. That's why mine is not getting a new pot. I have started several small plants off mine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #147017 Oct 29th, 2007 at 06:30 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
mine won't be in a bigger pot belinda, it will just get new dirt because a cat used it for a litter box :rsp: it's in a 14" square pot. and loz has the cutting from it!

#148056 Nov 2nd, 2007 at 05:13 PM
OP Offline
The snake plant is a cool plant, tough as heck and the variegation om the leaves in low light situations makes it a visually stunning plant. I've never seen a flower on it in the 8-9 years I've had it.

So less light for the dragon plant and more for the schefflera. The dragon was a gimme from a friend whose cat liked it a little too much, the ends are still chewed up if you look closely... and her cat also liked it as a litter box.

Any one have any info about the different sized jades? The large leaf one is a cutting off a plant that fell during a move 3 yrs ago. the crazy looking large one in front of the pencil plant wants to spread, guess it needs a bigger pot. It can't support its own weight anymore.

Last edited by delawaredrew; Nov 2nd, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
OP Offline
Oh and that x-mas cactus is confused about the seasons, it'll bloom in the next few weeks and there is usually at least one flower on it until august-sept. Is that typical?

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
You probably have a Thanksgiving cactus, not a Christmas cactus if it's going to bloom soon. They have different shaped leaves, and flower at different times.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image