Rate Thread
#144439 Oct 22nd, 2007 at 09:49 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi all,

I've got questions. My horseradish has been putting up leaves all year this year. And it still is. Do I wait until it dies back before I harvest it?

And after I harvest it what size of chunks do I need to be able to use as divisions?

And will it be ok if I don't have any of that fungal powder to put on the divisions?

Thanks for your help. I have a friend who likes horseradish and I what to give him some starts depending on how big my root is.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #146744 Oct 29th, 2007 at 10:21 AM
Horseradish is one of those wonderful plants, that despite our best efforts, refuse to die, and is forgiving of almost anything.
If the ground doesn't freeze where you are at, horseradish can be harvested at virtually anytime of the year, though its flavor is strongest and most aromatic when its dormant or in my zone, 9, in the fall and winter.
To replant, save the biggest and fattest portion of a root cut into 2" long sections. I've found the fungal powder optional, if you wish, you can let your cut parts rest for a few days to dry out a little before you replant. As long as your garden doesn't stay overly wet, you should be fine.

tkhooper #167012 Jan 2nd, 2008 at 02:26 PM
when I used to do mine ( I need to replant now) I would wait til the first easy frost, not a hard one, then take the roots.... it always came back very well when I did it this way.....
;) I love the stuff myself, and learned if you make horseradish stone ground.... please do it outside,lol, your eyes won't water as much.
;)

Elfinone #174721 Jan 23rd, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Somehow my root managed to get perpendicular and it headed straight for china. I couldn't harvest the whole thing so I guess I'll be leaving some to do pretty much what it wants.

I got 1 large root section about 3 inches long and then three baby ones. One which is pretty long so maybe I can make that into 2 pieces for planting.

I'm definitely going to plant it at a shallower angle next time.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #193811 Mar 19th, 2008 at 07:37 AM
27 August 2007 Preparing Horseradish condiment.

http://maiwe.notlong.com/ 27 August 2007 Preparing Horseradish condiment. There are two large horseradish plants. I dug up one plant and will prepare the other later in the season. These plants are difficult to dig up, and much effort is required to get the desired product - the roots.

http://xaere.notlong.com/ 6 Octgober 2007 Processing another plant of horseradish.

I treat the plant as an annual, and save a piece of root for next years growth. This plant can be invasive, and every small piece of root left in the ground will sprout. To prevent this I rototill extensively, and remove all remnants of root. The small seed root is put in a pot and allowed to grow until about August, then I put in in the ground to overwinter. Usually two plants are sufficient for the home garden. If treated as a perennial I find the roots are sometime too tough and fibrous.

Durgan Zone 5
Durgan #202940 Apr 20th, 2008 at 07:46 AM
Durgan, thanks for sharing those great photos. Do you process your horseradish in a water bath canner for storage? I will be transplanting some this week in the garden and hope to have some to harvest this year.

Becky - Zone 6b/7a

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -- Mark Twain

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image