Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#144373 Oct 22nd, 2007 at 12:02 AM
OP Offline
Hello every,
So I have a Venus Fly Trap. I've had them before when I was younger but could never keep it alive. Now I've had this VFT since sometime around the end of May. It's done very well so far, even bloomed (which I found out later I probably shouldn't have let it fully bloom). Anyway, it survived and as winter approaches, I know that a VFT has to have a dormant period. Now that I've had this plant for this long, I find myself concerned that I'll do something wrong. I've tried to look up how to do the dormancy and although I do find some info, there are still questions. I'm hoping someone here can answer them.
Does it need to be in a constant dark area? Or just the cool 45-50? Will it need watered during this 3 month period? Is there anything else I should know in order to have a successful dormancy and have my VFT survive? I'd appricate any more detailed info someone can give. I'm really afraid that I'll end up killing my beloved VFT that I've managed to keep alive this long (which is a record for me with VFTs. bop)

Thanks alot.

Note: Eep... not sure I posted this in the right spot... my VFT is indoors.

Last edited by Savahnna Rose; Oct 22nd, 2007 at 12:11 AM.

"I consider the day misspent that I am not either charged with a crime, or arrested for one." -- "Ratsy" Tourbillon
I answered your post in another area here, I didn't know it was grown indoors. They are outside plants until fall/winter. They do NOT do well inside. Next spring after last frost place it outside in FULL SUN.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Are you using it for flies or ? We had a couple once and found that good bugs were getting eaten so we got rid of the plant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image