Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#140048 Oct 11th, 2007 at 11:25 PM
OP Offline
Hello, I haven't posted in a very long time, but I do enjoy looking at the topics and reading about all the wonderful advice given on this site. Anyway I have some questions about grow lights.
I live in Illinois and just this week have had to bring my many wonderful house plants indoors because of the weather. My house has very little light, specially during the short winter days and would like to provide some artificial light, but am not quite sure what type of grow lights to buy. I have many succulent type plants as well as palms and a beautiful hibiscus tree. I'm not quite sure what type of lighting is necessary being there are many to choose from such as florescent, halogen, sodium.....Anyway if anyone has some suggestions please let me know.
Thanks,
Erica:)

ericaeeh77 #140162 Oct 12th, 2007 at 08:57 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I also must supply my plants with winter light. This is what I use, on a timer I bought at a local hardware store. I looked into the different kinds 3 years ago when I bought it, and don't completely remember the reasons for my choice. However, my plants and I are completely satisfied.

http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product245.html

I have the 4 tube size and use 2 warm and 2 cool loght tubes. I built the stand out of 2x3's but I think they offer one somewhere here. This is a nice site, with good plant products, even if you're not into roses, which I'm not. I love their measuring spoons in the kitchen!

http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product245.html

Shipping is prompt, the tubes well packed and unbroken, a good place.

Mine:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/mepcharm/DSCN1101.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/mepcharm/DSCN1100.jpg

May God bless the WHOLE world!
margaret e. pell #144346 Oct 21st, 2007 at 07:46 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i almost forgot to post here.

if you can't spend that kind of money for grow lights, you can use flourescent "shop" lights with a warm and a cool bulb. it takes more effort to set up, but works great.

ericaeeh77 #146121 Oct 27th, 2007 at 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by ericaeeh77
Hello, I haven't posted in a very long time, but I do enjoy looking at the topics and reading about all the wonderful advice given on this site. Anyway I have some questions about grow lights.
I live in Illinois and just this week have had to bring my many wonderful house plants indoors because of the weather. My house has very little light, specially during the short winter days and would like to provide some artificial light, but am not quite sure what type of grow lights to buy. I have many succulent type plants as well as palms and a beautiful hibiscus tree. I'm not quite sure what type of lighting is necessary being there are many to choose from such as florescent, halogen, sodium.....Anyway if anyone has some suggestions please let me know.
Thanks,
Erica:)

Regular flourescent lights like shop lights are just fine. Don't fall for the "specialty" lights or bulbs.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image