Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#139311 Oct 10th, 2007 at 01:28 PM
cgs Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello there. Not exactly your typical gardening posts on this forum, but we still want your assistance :)
We are students in the computer science department at SMU attempting to design a gardening assistant system that allows gardeners to monitor factors affecting plants’ growth such as humidity, water, temperature, light intensity and so forth. However, before we design anything; we have to determine what the users require from us. This survey will address some of the inquiries we have for potential users. Your participation in this survey is voluntary and your identity will remain anonymous.

Q. How experienced do you consider yourself in the field of gardening and plant care?
A.

Q. If we were to develop a monitoring system as described above, which do you prefer? Having a new system that covers everything (including new factors not monitored before) or getting an add-on that is compatible with old existing systems?
A.

Q. Currently, we are considering designing a mechanism that detects possible fungal infections before they occur. From a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the most important, and 10 being the least important), how important would you consider this feature?
A.

Q. Another feature we’re thinking of designing is an electronic manager that controls all any windows in the gardening environment by collecting data from photosensitive sensors. If the user desires to keep the place warm during the night (for instance), he could customize the program to close the windows when the sunsets down. From a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the most important, and 10 being the least important), how valuable would you consider this feature?
A.

Q. Finally, one of the features we’re considering adding is a plant encyclopedia as a quick reference for gardeners. Do you consider this feature useful for you? If yes, please rate its importance to you from 1 to 10 (1= most important, 1 = least important)
A.

Q. Is there any feature you would like to see added? If yes, using the previous 1-10 scale; please rate its importance.
A.

Q. What would you think is a reasonable price for such a system?
A.

Those are all the questions we have. Thank you for your participation!
Have a good day! :wink:

cgs #139704 Oct 11th, 2007 at 10:24 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I consider myself slightly more experienced than a beginner but not by much.

Your second question is a bit mystifing to me. I would want it which ever way was the most user friendly and didn't delete any information that I had in associated working files. Does that make any sense?

Maybe a 7.

Maybe a 3.

Definitely a 1.

It sounds like you are designing an automated green house. I would definitely include a drip irrigation system that would come in at about a 2. And there should be a way to partition areas so that different plants could have their own space meeting their specific needs that would be about a 4.

the price would depend on size.

Good luck with your project.

[Linked Image]
cgs #144349 Oct 21st, 2007 at 07:55 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Q. How experienced do you consider yourself in the field of gardening and plant care?
A. i consider myself moderately experienced

Q. If we were to develop a monitoring system as described above, which do you prefer? Having a new system that covers everything (including new factors not monitored before) or getting an add-on that is compatible with old existing systems?
A. for your purposes, developing both would be a smart way to go. i don't have a green house, but if i did, i'd want an add on system. since i don't, i'd need a new system.

Q. Currently, we are considering designing a mechanism that detects possible fungal infections before they occur. From a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the most important, and 10 being the least important), how important would you consider this feature?
A. probably not very. fungi have a place in the garden

Q. Another feature we’re thinking of designing is an electronic manager that controls all any windows in the gardening environment by collecting data from photosensitive sensors. If the user desires to keep the place warm during the night (for instance), he could customize the program to close the windows when the sunsets down. From a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the most important, and 10 being the least important), how valuable would you consider this feature?
A. i'd consider that fairly important as a greenhouse can cook all your plants in a very short while on a sunny day.

Q. Finally, one of the features we’re considering adding is a plant encyclopedia as a quick reference for gardeners. Do you consider this feature useful for you? If yes, please rate its importance to you from 1 to 10 (1= most important, 1 = least important)
A. that would be helpful, but not something i'd pay extra for.

Q. Is there any feature you would like to see added? If yes, using the previous 1-10 scale; please rate its importance.
A. i think you said you are looking to monitor humidity, right?

A. not the first clue, but i'd love to see one that worked like you are hoping for.

sorry i didn't use the number system, i hate trying to assign a number to something.

#145640 Oct 26th, 2007 at 07:27 AM
cgs Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks tkhooper and Jiffymouse for completing the questionnaire!! Your input is highly appreciated!!

cgs #146057 Oct 27th, 2007 at 06:25 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
your welcome

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #146065 Oct 27th, 2007 at 06:50 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Hello there. Not exactly your typical gardening posts on this forum, but we still want your assistance :)
We are students in the computer science department at SMU attempting to design a gardening assistant system that allows gardeners to monitor factors affecting plants’ growth such as humidity, water, temperature, light intensity and so forth. However, before we design anything; we have to determine what the users require from us. This survey will address some of the inquiries we have for potential users. Your participation in this survey is voluntary and your identity will remain anonymous.

A. I have been doing it for about 30 years or so--but I still have a lot to learn

A. an add on---
A. 6
A.

A. 1
A.

A.

Those are all the questions we have. Thank you for your participation!
Have a good day!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image