Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#145298 Oct 24th, 2007 at 05:29 PM
BrianJM Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello

We are planning our new garden for next spring (in our new home). The most ideal spot (sun, air circulation, exposure) is on a moderate slope (6 feet verticle over 45 feet horizontal). What does everyone think is the best way to build our garden? I'm thinking small (1 foot) terraces built of something. Our soil is primaraly sand and gravel so we will be bringing in top soil. We are in zone 4.

Thanks.

BrianJM #145304 Oct 24th, 2007 at 07:12 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you probably want 2-3 ft terraces, with part of that gravel or mulch to step in or kneel in to do the garden work. at least, that is what i would do. with at least one break in the horizontal for a walkway. so you can access the gardens from the middle as well as each end. think arm's length for whatever you do. sounds nice and let us know.

#145417 Oct 25th, 2007 at 08:52 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Check:

Expert Terraced Gardening Tips

Before digging, be sure to call your utility company or your city's public works department to determine if there are underground pipes, electric wires, or gas lines on your property.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #145469 Oct 25th, 2007 at 12:38 PM
BrianJM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks I will check out the link.

BrianJM #145642 Oct 26th, 2007 at 07:42 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Definitely I would plan on using rebar and burying it deep to anchor the railway ties or whatever you would choose. I like the look or the railway ties so that's what I would go with but beware you will have to replace them over time because they will degrade.

I'd be raising the ground rather than digging in it adding compost and some clay to your sandy soil. And definitely plan it so that you have at least 18 inches on each level to put your feet so that you can weed and plant with ease. That makes a total width of 3 1/2 feet if you have a two foot planting area on each terrace. I made mine to narrow and when I went to try and weed from an upper level where I had a walkway I had a bad case of vertigo. Not at all fun for me. I had to watch the weeds take over the second level because I couldn't get to it. Another consideration is if you have a tiller that you plan to use. How much space do you need to operate it safely?

Depending on how it rains in your area you also might be concerned with errosion control. Since you will be taking up whatever groundcover that currently keeps the soil in place you will have to consider ways to hold your soil in place especially if you have heavy rains during the year.

The addition of the compost and clay will help somewhat and the terracing but I would still consider a winter cover crop and possible a heavy mulch during the growing season if there is an errosion problem.

Congratulation on the new house and garden.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image