Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I read somewhere that castor beans are considered perennial in places like Florida, etc so I got the brilliant idea ideato bring in my 1 potted castor bean and see what happens. Problem is I have no idea what to do with it now that I have it inside? whyLight/dark? Fertilize or not? prune or not? etc.
Please help!!

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I've never overwintered mine here in NY, but did you know that that plant is highly toxic? Especially the seeds - they used to use them in warfare years and years ago. Just wanted to let you know in case you have any chewing babies or pets.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
For years they were actually banned in California. The seeds are too colorful and attractive to kids. To me they are a weed to get rid of. I have no idea how to winter them.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Well no chewing babies - 2 or 4 legged to worry about. I had my outdoor plants grow to 8ft the last 2 years and the stalks are like tree saplings so I am thrilled with them and wanted to try them inside. (Of course the potted one did not grow that tall.)

Thanks anyway, No worries, I guess I will just see what happens to it - I saved lots of seeds to plant again next season.

seeds are put away out of sight of any curious little visitors I may have between now and then though!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
make sure that the plant is too. here, they grow, but die back each winter and come back each year. and 8ft is about right for outside.

OP Offline
Hi Jiffymouse,
So do you think I should cut the plant back now? or wait for spring? or just leave it be? It has new shoots coming all up along the stalks and I had already cut the seed stalks off the top before I brought it in. I am actually just enjoying the plant inside. I have never had any luck with indoor plants. I take cuttings from my impatiens, coleus, and geraniums for planting outdoors the following season but this is the first time I will try to nurture an actual plant overwinter!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

back at the farm I planted them at the edge of my garden to keep the moles
out of the garden. That worked well for me. Then I harvested the seeds & let the plant die---then in the spring started the process all over again.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image