Print Thread
Rate Thread
#144517 Oct 22nd, 2007 at 04:05 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Has anyone heard from Tina and how they are doing in the awful fires that are spreading in California? The pictures on tv are horrific!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
She's been posting in the Webkinz topic Lynne. thumbup

#144519 Oct 22nd, 2007 at 04:09 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks loz!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
No problem! thumbup kissie

#144785 Oct 23rd, 2007 at 11:48 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hadn't seen this thread. Moving this from the CH.

Hello, just checking in. There are 10 major fires in S. Ca. One little one (not a news maker) surrounded two sides of my house yesterday.Very closely. We have no power. We have our big generator up and running now. We evacuated for a few hours just out onto our big lawn where we could watch from. The firefighters did a spectacular job of saving our house again. We slept in it last night. But we are still surrounded by firefighters. (according to Jonni, most of them are HOT!) .I don't know how long the elec will be off in the area. But our roads are closed to travel right now and our most local stations don't have power to pump gas either. So we don't know how long we will be running our generator. We loaned some gas to a couple of people so they could evac.

We have shelter, food and propane to cook. We are good.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #144786 Oct 23rd, 2007 at 11:49 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
And this:
I was not freaking. It was an adventure. Jonni helped a lot and Ted was a total trooper even though he is sick. We only moved a few yards away from the house into an open spot and watched the progress. We couldn't go any further, our roads were all closed. We wouldn't have anyway unless the fire got too close. I didn't lose any trees from fire this time just the wind took out a huge black walnut. Our vehicles are still packed just in case. But it is looking good for us. Over a thousand structures burned so far. More going up every second. I am one of the lucky ones so far.
The thing that bummed me out the most is that our big generator wouldn't work. The battery went dead. John maintains it every month to six weeks but he has been ill. I take such pride in being prepared for disaster and that really got to me more than anything else that has happened in the last few months. It is up and running now, though. That is why I can be here

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #144788 Oct 23rd, 2007 at 12:04 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Our small generator we are loaning to a series of neighbors to keep their freezers cold so they don't lose everything in them. We decided we need to buy another when this current disaster settles down. One with a bigger tank so it will last longer.
Right now John is taking some cinder block to another neighbor who's tin roof is blowing off.
For the last few years we've had really mild wind event years. The winds stayed under 75 mph. The winds we got this week are more normal of 100 plus that we get an episode or two of most autumns. My newer neighbors just found out that we were telling the truth when we tried to tell them that different additions they were making to their homes were not going to withstand our winds. Mostly mobile homes, I am talking about here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #144790 Oct 23rd, 2007 at 12:14 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Glad to know you are okay,Tina. I have a friend here at work who used to live in San Diego and is keeping a close eye on all the progress down there. she has her in laws in town there she is really worried about.our prayers are with you that everything continues to be okay for you.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
All prayers, always.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #144810 Oct 23rd, 2007 at 01:57 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Hi Tina. I'm glad you posted too. It looks horrible on TV I can't imagine seeing it in person.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Thinking and praying for you and yours, Tina. Please keep safe. kissie

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
So glad you are safe, Tina--continued prays for good luck where the fires are concerned--it hear they are calling for lower winds in Cali today--perhpas that will help. prayers
youngest DD was living in San Diego for a year--so glad she is home now---

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I had taken Ted to school on Monday but brought him right home again because he had diarrhea immediately when we got there. I was so glad because getting him home from school while we were evacuated in the afternoon would have been trippy. And maybe couldn't have gotten back in anyway with the roads closed.
He was still under the weather yesterday so I didn't take him. It's a good thing because all of our city schools were closed and I didn't know it. I did get an automated call last night that the schools would be closed today due to fire danger. I got another auto-call saying that schools were canceled for the rest of the week due to poor air quality.
I'll say. The wind has died back considerably and we are in a fog (hot and dry fog). It was 95 degrees today. Supposed to be hot again tomorrow. But I didn't go to work today so I really have to go tomorrow. I can go early. John will be here and I don't have to take Ted to school first.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
tina, how scary! i could not remember who lived there until i saw this post! glad you and your house is ok....keep us posted! kissie

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Tina #145326 Oct 24th, 2007 at 07:51 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
hope ted feels better with his tummy troubles and with the school break. although, he likes school, doesn't he?

#145330 Oct 24th, 2007 at 07:55 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
He does like school just fine. He likes home better. He is much better, Thank you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #145334 Oct 24th, 2007 at 08:01 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
good glad to hear that. and jonni? how's she adjusting to being back home and then the fire crisis?

#145347 Oct 24th, 2007 at 08:13 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Jonni is adjusting. We all are. She was very helpful at home and with neighbors during our wind/fire storm and evacuation.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #145354 Oct 24th, 2007 at 08:19 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup glad it's going for you. homecomings are always hard, even if they are wanted. kissie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image