Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Every year around November I start thinking about what plants I will need to bring back in the house ,, and start debugging them. The last two years I've had a time of it bring in the rubber tree I almost had to lay it completely down to take it in by top in first,,

This year IT will absolutely have to be layed completely down and start back 7FT 10 inches to get in and that measurement is only from the top of the soil to the top leave, not including the pot,, Uhhhhhhhhhh anyone wanna come over and help me get it in the house egad
Also the last two years AFTER I got it inside I loped the top of the tree off and place what was cut back into the pot This year I am not going to that ,, Just because uhh welllllll I don't want to,,, lol lol serious tho I am going to do that in the spring next year when I take it back outside.

The Wind blew it over this afternoon so I took out all the stakes and re-staked it and tied up some of the branches . It was so one sided heavy that it didn't stand a chance in the wind. It is really fuller than it looks I have it tied back this way to make it easier to bring it in ~ after it's in the house I'll release or relieve some of the branches! thumbup :wink:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Wow! That is tall!!! Is your ceiling inside high enough for it?!
Does it need a bigger pot or do they like to be root-bound?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
It seems to like the pot it is in,, for 3 years now,, Yep I have another foot or two for ceiling,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
opps dbl posted rolz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wow! looks good though!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks Jiffy Truth be told I'm kinda scared to transfer to another Pot Maybe I should next spring ? why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i usually only repot my plants when either i need the pot, or there is no more soil in the pot for all the roots. but i'm kinda lazy that way. if it's happy, i say leave it alone!

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
That is soooo cool Diane....I remeber you taking it out and bringing it in the past few years. I was thinking the pot looked small for such a big plant....Mine isn't as big as your and it's in a bigger pot, I think it needs repotted actually and I've been too lazy to do it. blush

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I know Loz The pot is small I think it's 12" high there isn't even drainage holes although I do have horticuture charcol and some peagravel in the bottom,, I would probably have to break the pot to it out next spring,, Well I guess that leaves me plenty of time to find the right size, shape and color pot tho!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
thumbup Wanna come repot mine next spring while you're at it? lol

Mine didn't grow much outside this summer, I think it def. needs repotted. Now I just have to find the right pot like you! thumbup

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
WOW Diane!!! That is one NICE rubberplant!!! I never had much luck with them, but am glad to see such a happy, healthy one!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Okay My Rubber tree is inside now,, Where it is now ,,, I have approx a foot between the top of the plant and the ceiling,, Yep I'm gonna have to lob off the top I guess because I'm afraid the Heat will get to it,, the Heat vent is in the ceiling,, So I'm wondering if it would dry out the top of this too fast over the winter months, why

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'd wait to see if you lose any leaves first! good looking plant.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks Jiffy,,
I'm trying to avoid losing leaves,, I sent it against a wall that is furthest from the Vent,, Tho it won't get as much all day lighting,it will get afternoon light .. SOoo Now I wait and see,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i know you are, but i'd rather wait for leaf loss before i cut it back. it's a great looking plant!

How in the world do you get your rubber tree looking so good? I have one that tall that is now almost totally bare. I just don't know what to do with it...

Jeremiah 29:11
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wow, so that's what they are supposed to look like lol Mine was so ugly that it got scrapped.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by beginner_gardner_jmh2911
How in the world do you get your rubber tree looking so good? I have one that tall that is now almost totally bare. I just don't know what to do with it...

I wrestle it to get outside every spring egad it gets southern exposure but is against the house so it doesn't get direct sun in the summer until around six as the sun begins to go down. I have lobbed the top off 2 times already,,( last two years) but wanted to avoid doing it again this winter. I have the soil almost like a cactus soil but with a little more reg potting soil mixed in with cactus soil and a little bit of orchid mix mixed in it also,, ( I'm always experimenting with soils rolz) ,, Looks like this one worked out!! lol OH,, and there are No holes in the bottom of the pot ,, But I have horticulture Charcol in the bottom of the pot,, why all the above or just lucky I guess notme

If yours is almost bare,, Lop it off 6 inches under the uppermost leave growth,, and stick it back into the same pot,, it will root and grow,, then on the remaining stock Notch slightly at a 45 degree angle three alternate notches around the stock it will produce more leaves,,/Limbs,, Give it a good flushing of Superthrive 2 drops pergallon.. !! then don't water again for 4 weeks, then return to regular watering,, Remember in the winter don't water as often! :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thank you so much for being specific. I appreciate it immensely. Guess I'll give it a try!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
You're sooooo very welcome!! grin Please let us know the progress. You're welcome to use this thread to let us know!! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is my pitiful plant now...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
not pitiful at all. cut that tall leafless part off and it will bush some more. it is a beautiful plant, and will only grow "taller" if it is outside reaching for the sky.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by beginner_gardner_jmh2911
Here is my pitiful plant now...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

shock That plant looks good!!!!! grin Nice and full!! I can't see the top of the plant are there any leaves at the top at all?? IF there is Lop it off 6" in the leaves and put that in the soil.. then cut what is left down even with the tallest growth of a full branch,,,,,, How much light is it getting where you have it sitting> how far away from a window???
IF at all possible take it outside in the spring and summer months,, it will truely thank you for it!! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image