Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
WOW September is here already!! shock This has been a great spring/ summer with all of us starting Brugs for the first time!!

Thank you Njoynit for guiding us with our Brugs everystep of the way!! kissie

I now have Adora's budding up , along with the Snowcone, and Cotton Candy , Unfortunaley I won't be here when they bloom I'm estimating them to bloom when I'm gone and I leave in 9 days,, My Daughter won't be able to get a picture due to her living in a different town and her work schedules and the kids school schedule,, , Hopefully I will have more blooms after I get back from Vacation! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
5k Posts
5k Posts
shock another brug topic went by! wow,
flwr hope ya get to see em when you get back diane!

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
Wish I lived closer.I'd ask Colin too...but he's a love sick lil puppy on cloud 9 right now.He's gonna get married,he couldn't even tell me if his plants had buds or we're blooming!
Have FUN!
maybe you shuld put a cam on the plant...then leave computer logged on and can check cam...HAHA

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
2k Posts
2k Posts
Frosty pink.Yes thats about 10 ft.I'm going to try pushing for 2-14 ft.After this flush will remove some smaller trunks (ok you Yankee's)

[Linked Image]
I think its causeing my jamicia yellow to have trouble getting blooms ,by stealing all the light,but it looks good this year otherwise.

Unknown pink behind the bananana plant& seedling whiskers x butterfly in the B&B bed.
[Linked Image]

Dr suess
[Linked Image]
Dr suess with red castor bean.truely awesome.
[Linked Image]

This is another piece of unknown pink I started over winter its a bove the 'y' piece.
[Linked Image]

Bolero xGQ is close so is the other half of D/M delimia.looks like Betty Marshall gonna bloom next week too.Jean Pasco has a nice 'Y'I'd really love some blooms& I don't even LOOK at orange versiclor anymore.Versi color peach looks good.Charles has some buds for next month starting.The other trunk is forming another shoot on a 'y' area.The one from the ground.It will shock youhopeing the buds don't blow off today.unsure why 2 leaves got yellow on edges(I'm thinking...can a dog aim pee that spot?but they won't show me.)

its breezy here with Humburtio.about a 12 mph steading breeze,gusts 25 record last hour& no rain.I can hear my cans clanking!A good day for beer chimes!He snuck up on me.I learned about him about 3 yesterday& was like secure the yard?flying debree?(I was playing with my virtual villiage new home game)Then seen it was forming pretty good on the news,then durring david letterman it went to a hurricane...in like 14 hours(I missed the 1st 6 hours& we got the 1st US landfalling hurricane..zippidie-do dah!)

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
2k Posts
2k Posts
oh and the front shot.
[Linked Image]

my brain is shot.I got 2 females in heat& the boy dogs are just awful& the youngest don't care for doggie shuffleing& tried comeng through the gameroom window to get back in house.this will be a long 3 weeks

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I had to bring my brugs in the garage the other night because we had frost warnings. shock So, it got me thinking about what I need to do to overwinter them because it won't be long unfortunately. Got some tips for me njoynit?

ooo yes, i need some advice too. i got two starts this year. (white) I planted one in the yard but i left the other one in the pot.

I love my garden
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Cindy it seems like you had posted a picture once and said it was Dr. Suess!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Shooooot I don't have Dr. Suess or I would bring some of it to ya,, THe unnamed pink I have smell good too!!! I'm AM bring that!! AND I have several more that are budding right now I can cut and bring also,, I have no idea if they smell or not,First time for them!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Sure as long as they get full sun ,but will have to be cut down in the fall, or brought in if potted up

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
They do great in the pacific Northwest.you can still grow it indoors for the winter under lights or let them slow down.I know someone in Seatec WA and think he's a zone 8b.I think he tried 2 in ground last year and they returned.The soils mounded in the spot so it drains well over winter.I think you had both unknown pink & Dr Suess.Dr Suess was took with a sunset or sunrise behind it(I have it saved somewhere..........I know its in my screensaver slideshow show)They'd proably grow and look better cause not as hot.Boy...you sure did relocate...all the way across to other side.

growing them in cool temps like in 50s-60s is a good dormant temp.you don't want wet soil and cold temps,so if your temps lower you'd want your pots on the dryer side.I kept mine watered enough to keep from being limp& had them getting southern light and western light,but kept them rotated and some days that we're nice I'd drag them all outdoors.When trimming your 'y's to get the indoors or in garage you want to try to leave at least 6 nodes.your 'y' cuts will bloom sooner if you pot/grow them.

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Do I have to trim the y's? I had mine in pots and they are not too big to get into the house. My basement is in the mid 60s in the winter. So, if I keep them down there I should keep them watered but just enough to keep them from going limp. Did I understand all that right? They are in my garage right now because we had our first frost the other night. shock I know it is crazy! So I will be moving them to the basement soon and I want to make sure I do it all right.

2k Posts
2k Posts
sure...if your 'y's can fit for the travel.leave them be.I have double opening french doors so thats not quiet an issue for me.what will be intresting is the dig& removal of banana tree to the GH....and I'm putting a ceiling fan in the GH

Looks like Bolero x GQ will bloom about Tuesday-Wensday.D/M about same time too or a day behind it. BxGQ bud feels FAT!!!!!!!!

2k Posts
2k Posts
Bolero x Gypsy Queen

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now ain't SHE something.I like this one.It didn't smell right off,but after sunrise she did.
and here's D/M still a delimia
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She'll pinken up this morning& hopefully not go brown on me today.its 71 this morning....going to 91.Another good day for fishing.I got to watch Gary knock his self halfway out of boat and up under the pier yesterday.He was lucky I was fishing with him to save him.now the trolling motor is STUCK in the boat.the wood broke at the back and its stuck in it now.I lost my fish...it went in some trees& I had a time breaking my line& now my pole don't reel in.I know it was a good sized fish...he was dragging boat AND anchor.

2k Posts
2k Posts
This morning

And its Bolero x Apricot Queen

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And I've been setting winter cuttings as backgrounds....to solve my delima.We have Monika in bloom and have seen 2 flushes of Daydreams (*Paul Harvey voice*And now you know the REST of the story)

Monika this morning& as she turned.(which I think she opens& turns ugly,but looks fine afterwards)It was 63 this morning.it felt great!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2k Posts
2k Posts
Bolero x AQ flower lasted 5 days.Here is sundays
[Linked Image]
Saturday
[Linked Image]

Monika saturday

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's Betty Marshall today
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Her blooms don't photo well...with different flashes.I also tried pollinateing one of her flowers with unknown pink.I'm going for the smell.....

Dr suess.full moon flush.
[Linked Image]
Backside of frosty pink with jamicia yellow.frostys blooms I can't reach now..unless use a ladder.
[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OMG Njoynit I love the Monika!!!!!!!! clap
Well guess what grin The Brugs didn't bloom until I got back from Cedar Hill clap
\
Cotton Candy
[Linked Image]

Snowcone
[Linked Image]

Charles G and PinkBeauty in the back

[Linked Image]

More next post

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
continued from Up there ^

Adora
[Linked Image]

Pink Beauty
Look how short this plant is the first time it bloomed a couple of months ago there wasn't a Y this is the one I was telling you about.
[Linked Image]

unnamed Pink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
continued from up there ^

west side of the yard
[Linked Image]

Ohhhhhhh Njoynit Finally the tigerstriped canna bloomed clap you sent me a lonnnng time ago,,,,,,,, seems like it took forever to grow and bloom!! shock

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
The striped canna is bengal tiger.I got a xerox copy box FULL of tubers from Renee a long time ago.She fertilized her's with horse manure and they must like it cause mine have not done good this year but plan to go back to the horse manure,they did fine with rabbit poo too.don't why they stick their nose up about cow manure.we'll the one in pond has done well.I forgot about that one.

I like Adora,thats a large flower.

Is the white in west side picture snowcone?

My other buds dropped off Bolero xAQ so we have to wait on the others to grow now.Daydreams& Monica both are forming buds again.still waiting on jamicia yellow to get her act together.she'd got enough 'y' growth.I seem to always have frosty pink/unknown pink& seedling pink in bloom.Dr suess will bloom again wensday.betty marshall is on her last flower and her twin is now starting to grow buds.no 'y' on rosa turaum yet or martha stewert or pink perfektion.Versicolor peach& versicolor orange are in that 'lets drop our buds' mode.And I'm still looking for buds on jean pasco,but she looks good being taller than me...i'm just thrilled that after 3 years she's 'y'd!

Cindy Your lighting will be different from KY.you will need supplemental lighting.Might want to run to walmart.they have reflector plant lights for $11.When I get time and pop in the brug forum,I'll sent patrick your way.He's in seattle.
Diane...Did your huge EE give a bloom?I almost missed mine,but I did see it dieing.It looks just like a peace lilly bloom but larger like a philodendron's.I'm going to buy some more EE tubers.at least 2.

5k Posts
5k Posts
pretty pics diane
got my brugs potted up for the winter, gotta figure out were to put em, dont think they;ll all fit on the window sill thing, zoink
[Linked Image]

you can see the canna from njoynit in this pic, its huge!!! n pretty
[Linked Image]

Last edited by sibyl; Oct 1st, 2007 at 10:24 PM.

[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit I didn't know EE bloomed!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

Bengal Tigar That's it,, I wonder if it will like sheep manure LOL

Yep snowcone is on the west fence gets east sun til about 11 and they smell really nice tooooo!!!

CHristy Good to see you,, Everything looks great,, Is it getting cold there?? Willy Village has another Lonnnnnnnnnnng story waiting for you to read it! lolo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
and just think Christy your canna would be taller in Tx.Mine are about 10 ft tall.I do hope it will bloom for you.they bloom later.some of mine of those russian reds are blown down,then some have had a dog pass through them...so are blooming verticle.But someone sent me some twist ties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!so I get to play with my new toy.

Yep diane the EE blooms& I didn't get a picture,but hopeing it gives another bloom.It looks like one might be forming again.I don't know about sheep manure.I know the farmers alamac has a chart about the amount of stuff in each kind of manure.I don't know which year one it was in&I'd proably never find mine.My computer room needs overhauled.I just dug up a cracked cup this morning to plant a teacup garden in and found 3 twist ties(that went stright out to garden)and a baggie of unmarked seeds,a day lilly seed pod& a lone caster bean seed and a rubber band& a partial stale bag of recess peices.

nothing new blooming.I bought a huge variegated ginger yesterday on clearance for $10.it wasn't easy to divide either to share with SIL.It took a shovel AND a tree saw.too much work.Carrion flower is still blooming.I repotted yesterday and shared some of it.It was pot bound too.I bet by spring the new pot will be pot bound too.

2k Posts
2k Posts
Ruthann grows brugs in Canada.I thought this post with pictures would help you yankee gardners.she's always so good about them details.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/4446...91368209/Bringing+in+a+Brug+for+dormancy

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Heyyyyyyyy thank Njoynit That was a great explanation !!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I plan of digging Creamsickle and one of the jamicia yellows(and thinking of maybe the 2nd jamicia yellow as well) and doing this.I know the pictures will help many of you.And we owe a big thank you to RA as I did not know she had fell and injured her back and still tried getting those posted for those further north.Its so hard for me to think of some of ya'll prepareing for winter...even as we speak,while I'm sitting here sweating in the mid 90s wondering when FALL will arive.The only sign I have of fall is the leaves i've raked for compost pile and sometimes the morning temps are in 60s...briefly till the sun pops up.Its 94 right now.i'd kill to have some highs in the 50s right now,but then I'd not get to see the rest of mine bloom....so I'll just sweat it out and keep thinking.'It don't feel like Oct'and turn my AC up higher.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Looky, looky. What kind do I have?

[Linked Image]

plenty more to come.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
clap Sheri clap I didn't even know you had any brugs!!! Where did you get it from??( a starter or Nursery?}
Remember after it is fully opened does it change to it's true color,,, Be sure to post a picture in the next day or two,, It looks like it may be a dark pink or orange,,

Possibly a Dr. Suess?? How long have you had it??

boohoo I want a start of Dr.Suess!! boohoo I don't know of anyone with those,,, tears

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
Originally Posted by njoynit
Ruthann grows brugs in Canada.I thought this post with pictures would help you yankee gardners.she's always so good about them details.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/4446...91368209/Bringing+in+a+Brug+for+dormancy

clap thanks njoynit!!! thats a great site! lol i learn better with pics zoink lol

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
There used to be a lady on here named Bonnie (Servants Heart) that had some one time and she sent me a starter. Actually 2 starters. I kept them in pots for a while then moved them outside. One of them has a thing growing from the root I guess. If Cindy will tell me how to get it away from the main plant without killing it I'll send it to you Angelblossom.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Thanks.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
SHeri ~ When I went to CedarHill I cut some pieces above the Y with bloom buds still on it to give to CIndy,, BTW CIndy Have they rooted yet?
Sheri I will have cuttings on all of mine when it's time to cut it back to overwinter them Let me know If you want starts!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
thumbup Alllllllllll Righty Then!! clap Your welcome! kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
SHeri ~ When I went to CedarHill I cut some pieces above the Y with bloom buds still on it to give to CIndy,, BTW CIndy Have they rooted yet?
Sheri I will have cuttings on all of mine when it's time to cut it back to overwinter them Let me know If you want starts!

I'm mucho confused now. Do you want a cutting if it's a Dr. Seusse or did you get cuttings and doesn't Cindy live at CedarHill?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot

Originally Posted by angelblossom

boohoo I want a start of Dr.Suess!! boohoo I don't know of anyone with those,,, tears

I left about 7 or 8 of them ready to bloom in Kentucky.
...maybe Andy will send you some cuttings. lol

Very Funny CIndy!! neenee

I'm mucho confused now. Do you want a cutting if it's a Dr. Seusse or did you get cuttings and doesn't Cindy live at CedarHill?

Sheri Yep CIndy is in CedarHill,,
When I went to visit her I brought cuttings from my Unnamed Pink and Adora brug with me to give to Cindy, ,,
I do not have Dr. Suess Brug BUT would like a cutting from someone,,

I will be cutting My Snowcone. Adora.Unnamed pink, pale yellow,cotton candy, charles grimaldi down to over winter soon and was asking you if you wanted any of those cutting to root over the winter> grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
How will I know if I have a Dr. Suess?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hang on I will link you a picture!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Here Ya go Colors varies Per time of year of blooming

http://www.brugmansia.us/galleries/v/brugmansia/brugD/album52/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
by the way Diane, I got your seeds today. Thank you. I love the cool stamps you put on the back.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
so is Dr. Suess several different colors? I think mine does look like one of those pictures.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image