Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#133874 Sep 25th, 2007 at 10:23 PM
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a zamioculcas zamiifolia, aka "ZZ Plant" & I think it is bursting out of its current home. When I purchased it a few mths ago, it was in a non-draining glass container with, what appear to be, tiny purple glass beads @ the bottom, then fibre (coconut?), topped by very soft, shaved bark. This was how the grower supplied it. The care instructions said to repot in 12 mths, but already the bark is way above the top of the container, as if the tuber is growing & pushing the contents out of the "pot". The plant is thriving at the moment. clap Does anyone know what sort of potting medium I should use? teach I have seen larger plants in normal potting mix, but don't if that is the way to go. The grower is in our area, but has not answered my e-mail asking him for his help rspb even though I said I wanted another of his plants!!! Ordinarily, re-potting would not faze me, but this plant is, sort of, different. Any advice would be much appreciated wavy

I'd say a well draining mix, similar to cactus mix. They like to dry out between waterings.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Yes, Tom is right. Pot your ZZ in a pot with drainage holes just large enough to accommodate the tuber. It'll develop root rot otherwise. ZZ's are drought resistant plants.

Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice. What did surprise me was that the grower placed it in its non-draining container without any soil whatsoever. Looks pretty but makes it hard to do the right thing when repotting. The grower's website gives all info re its background & optimum growing conditions but nothing about its best growing medium. At least it is still doing well. Thanks again.

A well draining potted plant mix suitable for succulents is fine for ZZ's.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image