Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#135981 Oct 3rd, 2007 at 03:56 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
flwr gotta mow a few dandelions today, the grass hasn't grew in a month but they don't seem to mind the frost one bit lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
I haven't done much in my garden. I will be taking it all down this weekend. I still have a ton of tomatoes left on the plants, but it's gonna start getting really cold and even though I have built them a little hoophouse of sorts, and it has kept the frost off of them, it's not the best and cold air is still getting in. So in I will be bringing in a whole bunch of green ones. Next year I will build a greenhouse. We haven't sold the house and the market has gone soft, so now we are going to wait until spring to sell. The only problem with doing that is I am torn between starting things indoors or waiting 'til we move. I know I could send my seedlings to ontario and they would survive the trip, but would it be worth it? This year I sent my sister a few tomatoe seedlings to Ontario and they all survived the trip so that's a possibility I guess. Maybe a little too soon to be thinking about that isn't it?

Nuria
500 Posts
500 Posts
I collected seeds today. First time for me clap Never had good luck starting things from seeds, but this site has given me inspiration :wink:

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
Congrats Ladyslipper! This was my first year from seeds and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I just made the mistake of starting too soon. But I had great results with those that I managed not to kill off. Stay tuned for when we start to share tips and ideas, there quite a few ladies and gents that have excellent tips.

Nuria
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I need to reseed the lawn soon, bought a small (1kg) bag of lawn seed for $10 (I though I was ripped off, but then again this is my first time buying lawn seed)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I paid $7 on sale for a small bag Kenny, you didn't get ripped off.

I got the lawn fully mowed and weed wacked. not that the grass grew, it was just weeds.

500 Posts
500 Posts
I can't wait for all those tips! I think I start to early too!

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts

I don't have the room to pre-start seeds. Wish I did though. I usually just collect the seeds and throw back into the same area in the spring, then divide and move as needed.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
I paid $7 on sale for a small bag Kenny, you didn't get ripped off.

I got the lawn fully mowed and weed wacked. not that the grass grew, it was just weeds.

Good to know! I just bought mine at walmart, they wanted to clear out all the garden stuff for chrismas displays

Since monday is thanksgiving for us up here, I'l going to dig maybe saturday, but I found out it was going to be 28*C then! I want to have everything done by next week, we're supposed to expect our first frost on the 5th

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
We've been getting frost for over a month Kenny. I still never bought more bulbs yet. I better get to it and get them covered huh?

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Tamara, it's only human nature lol you won't believe all the things that I 'meant' to do in the garden and didn't get to lol

this morning I raked up more leaves, and spread lawn seed (apparently something bit holes through the bag and I had a pile of seeds on the ground, oh well...I'll going to plant the mint I got (it's been sitting in the same baggie for about two weeks now and it still puts out new growth...tough! I spread some leaf bits over the tulip and daff bed and also around the arum bulbs that are putting out leaves. my muscarii are putting out leaves now like the arums (I freaked out about them cuz I though they were spring blooms, but found out this is normal) very weird temperatures this weekend so I don't expect to be doing much
Today (saturday) 28*
Sunday 17*
Monday (Turkey day!!) 27*
Tuesday 21*
if I do end up digging it'll have to be tomorrow

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
wow, warm weather.

I'm waiting for DH to bring me a bucket of topsoil this afternoon to do some more 'rut' fills.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
As always I watered things--so so dry here-- BUT the rain DID green up our lawn---(It sure is getting hot again today)----- why
then about an hour ago my oldest DD & I dug up the bush my neighbor gave to her. She is all happy as she had one like it and now she has 2--so her yard will look balanced. it may be a barberry bush but I am not sure---she knows but I will have to ask to be sure---

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Still waiting for that topsoil lol

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
A little birdie told me(my niece lol ) that at the grocery store where she works they are going to put all the bulbs on clearance this Friday for $2 a box. I'll be there for when the store opens. grin

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I cut back all the withered perennials. Now my gardens are ready for winter.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
As always I watered things--so so dry here-- BUT the rain DID green up our lawn---(It sure is getting hot again today)----- why
then about an hour ago my oldest DD & I dug up the bush my neighbor gave to her. She is all happy as she had one like it and now she has 2--so her yard will look balanced. it may be a barberry bush but I am not sure---she knows but I will have to ask to be sure---

blush I see that apparently I cannot type (or perhpas it is that I cannot spell)--at any rate the bush is a Bayberry bush---"sorry" blush

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hey, barberry is a bush as well. We would of never known if you didn't tell on yourself lol

500 Posts
500 Posts
Its been raining here for 3 days. So no garden work getting done. Need to get the veggie garden cleaned up.

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Raining here as well. I did get manure and fertilizer spread in my veggie plot. Just never worked it in yet...I am hoping to pick up a 'garden claw' thingy this week end.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
'twer it that you ladies could share ! lol

Today I am going to go buy dirt to make a raised flower bed.--It will be this weekends project--I talked about it before before--it will go on each side of my bird feeder. I am thinking I will make half of it this fall & the rest of it next year.

OH--did I mention my Blackberry plants came?? I will have to plant them as well (will likley do that today)

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Sounds funny whem you hear 'buy dirt' lol Can't wait to see some picks. What variety of Blackberries did you get?

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
it is even "funnier" to have to buy it !!! nono
I am used to having enough dirt of my own, just like you are, huh?

I bought 3 triple crown plants from Stark Bros. They are thornless.

I had 6 to 12 plants of the black satin thornless at the farm.

I will post pics but there will be no trellis until next year--but after the trellis goes up I will add a Clemantis or 2 to the trellis as well
(that was how I had it at the "farm")

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Cool, ya we used to sell 'dirt'. We sold the last of our topsoil(that we had for sale) last week. Kept a load for myself though.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
the thing about the dirt is, our dirt at the farm was top notch--this stuff here in town is so light & sandy (when it is dirt & not clay) that it makes me very unhappy.
When we still owned the farm, we even dug out my first flower bed and went to the farm & brought dirt to refill the area--
took man many trips with many 5 gallon buckets.

About the blackberry plants-Yesterday DH saw that i had planted my 3 blackberry plants & said--only 3 plants??? so when he makes the trellis I will have him extnd it to make an "L" shape & get more plants in the spring. :wink:

________

Been busy with work and just plain tired. So it's a good thing that summer is over. All I am doing now is waiting for the toms to ripen. But I keep picking them off when they r ready or close to. This is very cool, because even tho we have had some not so nice weather most of the plants have survived under my Hoophouse so I don't have to pick all of them off and have them ripen indoors. There's no way I'd be able to eat them all at once if that was the case. I am already eating them every day as it is. Lots of salads and today an Old German will be going on my Hamburger. Yum! first time with that one as well. It is not yet quite ready but it had split on the plant and was starting to not look so good. I did a taste test and it is good to go tho.

Just like the not having to buy "dirt", it's great not to have to buy Tomatoes. I wouldn't usually buy as many as I am eating now but I save at least $10 a week on tomatoes that I would usually buy.

Tamara how have u been?

Nuria
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
.......and still waiting for my top soil lol

Yay more plants for Junie and yummy tomatoes for Nuria.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Nuria, you guys eat a lot of tomatoes like we do. We both eat them with everythiing and cook with them too.

It is odd to have to buy dirt, but we also buy water (because we are on a well and ours tastes funny), and the other day I bought air to put in my tire. It was .50 to get the air machine to come on at the gas station.

Tamara, where have you been?

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've been busy....went shopping yesterdy.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Nature is so amazing. We have not had 1 drop of rain since September 14th. Not one drop. If a bird has relieved themselves passing over it evaporated before it reached the ground. But my tomato plants keep on producing. 2 of them don't even look wilted. I quit watering in July because we're on a well. My pepper plant looks wilted but I got a pepper today and there are more little ones. The flowers I haven't watered have given up the ghost but these vegetables just keep on going.

Tamara, don't get too busy for us boohoo

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
lol lol lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
500 Posts
500 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me Tamara. I don't have a lot of room to start seeds early either, but I think I will do what you do throw them out and then move them. I just wish our growing season was longer up here.

today I collected cone flower seeds and zinnia. Also harvested some carrots which am cooking right now for supper.Yesterday my daughter helped me get my swing apart to store for the winter. My husband is recouperating so am on my own getting ready for winter. boohoo

[Linked Image]

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
yikes

Sounds like your on the same tide with me for winter .
Count down.........My parsnips will stay in till spring.
Do you raise those/

bar

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
No I never have done parsnips. I never have even ate them lol am i missing something good?

[Linked Image]

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

Depends who you talk to ?????????????/
We love them.
Long white things similiar to carrots but larger and fatter.
Let them in till spring......Did peel cook till soft and fry in butter .Till crispy.

Oh yummy.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I've never had parsnips either Barb. Do you plant them in the fall and leave them all winter?

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
No
you plant them same time as spring veggies......I save the seeds off some and have loads to sow.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Oh that "let them in till spring" confused me which is not too hard to do.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
grin i worked in the garden today, on my pond! grin first time in 7 weeks. it was fun!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Jiffy

Hows the pond going? I like to listen to them.. My sister in Ohio had one on a flat surface......They put a pipe in the middle and the water ran down and it looked like a real thing......
She had all sorts of frog statues around it .......Everyone kept bringing them to her ..........She even has a frog with a bikini on .. Pink ha ha .
She move back here to Pa. and still have the frog in a bikini in her flower bed here..No pond.

Bet your loving it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image