Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#136346 Oct 4th, 2007 at 03:11 PM
OP Offline
Goodness we have pretty much totally begun anew in the front yard....Lost both the elm trees, but hey they made really nice firewood for the wood burner. The year started with a new roof, siding windows. Then I told him I was going to just plant really tall flowers for the hiding of the foundation, so he suprised me with a totally new brick bed that goes all the way aroud the house. I had no clue until he brought the guys over to do it... I had just planted 20 hostas on the side of the house...he got all excited, (he thought they needed lots n lots of sun), he wanted me to move them to the places where the elms were... nuh-uh nono. Needless to say he is leaving the dirt to me now,lol.
I planted a purple smoke tree/bush right smack dab in the middle fo the yard...I think I am going to get the book out and see if now is the time to cut it back or in the spring. It is a year old now, hasn't done anything jsut yet, but I sure can't wait for it to go. I have 4 main limbs going straight up in the air and the base is all full, well for being a year old. He and I had been thinking of what kind of trees to put in for shade. Neither of us wanted maples. Jeez, everyone has maples around here.... I am sick of looking at them. So again, he calls me up, and says no worries I got 2 trees. zoink what kind? He said red oaks, zoink 2? yep.....2. Well, we will have every squirrel int he neighborhood over when they start to do what they do grin. The brick went in late summer, no mid summer, July sometime, I still have to schelp about 40 bags of dirt, peat and maure to fill them up. then I will let it all settle and begin in the spring. This way I can come up with something thru the winter...I am loving this,lol. The back yard, well I let it lay this year... I am going to schlep some manure and peat then turn it right before winter time. I have bene working these gardens for close to 20 years with no break...again, I get to plan, plot out and decide all thru the winter what to do with the back.
The river,,well remember I had that boat? I have a pic fo the boat before the Aug 2007 flood. I lost half of it, but the boat is still there and half of the plants are still there. I had 2 cut out people sitting on the back side lookin like they were fishing,,but the high water got them... We have to totally redo the grass and the beds around the cabin base itself. The only things that hung thru like little troopers were the white mums, they are about 2 inches tall now, and the purple cone flowers. So we have a huge amount of work to do there to... bow planning plottin and drawing the lay of it all with a full season to do it in, I am loving this,lol.
I do hope all things are going well with you guys... It is nice to be back!.
grin

Elfinone #136530 Oct 5th, 2007 at 03:58 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wow, a lot of work.

Any pics for us? grin You knew we'd ask lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #136845 Oct 5th, 2007 at 04:40 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
That IS a lot of work, and I too would really like to see some pics! thumbup

#141716 Oct 16th, 2007 at 10:33 AM
OP Offline
I have pics,,,, I will post them as soon as i can.....quarter taxes to figure out this week........ but I have started getin the bubls for naturalizng the front yard,lmao.... My motto is more flowers less mosing,lmao.
;)
I'll get on those pics quick like

Elfinone #142208 Oct 17th, 2007 at 02:32 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
thumbup If I had my way I'd have a yard FULL of flowers and no grass! lol Too bad the hubby doesn't agree. rolz

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image