Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#135599 Oct 1st, 2007 at 03:14 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I have 2 cactus that turning yellow. I don't know what kind they are but have had then for a long time and now all of a sudden they are turning a yellow. Does any one know what could be causing this?

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
ladyslipper #135602 Oct 1st, 2007 at 04:02 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
overwatering can do that...and, from what i understand, it can be some time after the event before the effects are seen.

could also be caused by not enough light or maybe some kind of bug infestation.

can you post some pics?

Zone 6b
Joclyn #135604 Oct 1st, 2007 at 04:41 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are the pics. I really don't over water them. Some times i quite neglect them actually. I have moved them a year ago as we had our bay window removed and couldn't keep them there. They aren't getting as much sun as they were. I just noticed it today. Other cactus in the same area seem to be fine.

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
ladyslipper #135704 Oct 1st, 2007 at 10:50 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the first one looks like mammilaria elongata (a more mature version of the little grouping that i've got.) and it definitely looks like it has been lacking sunlight. they really like full sun.

the other looks like it might be a ferocactus. again, loves the sun. i'm still new to cacti and that one might be something other than a fero. the spines look about right tho...the flower is what seems to make/break id's tho :)

neither needs water more than once a month (if that) over the winter. make sure that the soil you've got them in is very well-draining...since they're in clay pots, i'm going to assume they've got drainage holes. if not, repot. if there are no drainage holes in the current pots, then, even tho you don't overwater, the soil at the bottom may remain wet and that will cause rot over time.

if you really want to be sure that there is no rot, you'll have to unpot them and take a look at the roots. if you do, be very, very gentle with the roots. if you do see any rot, just trim it off and then repot it and let it sit, unwatered, for a few weeks so the roots can recuperate a bit.

regardless of the possible over-watered issue, they definitely need more light. is there any way you could put in hangers and hang the plants by the window you mentioned? what about a shelf on the wall near it? or another window that gets sunlight for most of the day.

if you have no window that will provide the right lighting, i'd say you'll need to supplement with a light fixture if you want to save them. that's actually easier to do than you might think! you're not stuck with the long fluorescent tubes any more (altho, they do come as small as 6 inches). they make the same type of lights in 'incandescent' style so you can use any lamp that you have that is nearby to where you've got the plants...just set it on a timer (on for at least 10 hours a day and up to 12 hours) and you and the plants will be good to go!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #135775 Oct 2nd, 2007 at 08:49 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
thanks so much for the info. I think it is probably the light problem so am going to set them in a different window with more light. You sound like you think they will rebound and that is encouraging. prayers

Thanks also for the names. I bought the first one at Wal Mart and the second one I actually grew from seed. It was a package of mixed cactus seed. I love this site, some one always has some helpful information for you.

Thanks again and I will post another picture when the recouperate flwr

[Linked Image]

ladyslipper #135852 Oct 2nd, 2007 at 03:01 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
yes, i do think they will bounce back!! and, yes, please post some pics when they are back to their normal selves!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #144828 Oct 23rd, 2007 at 03:16 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Today I had to bury my cactus. They both did not make it. One the smaller one got yellower and white stuff started in the creases. The other got very brownish.
When I dumped them the one with white stuff seemed to at dirt level separated from roots. The other one did not seem to have much root. some kind of rot I guess. We tried and thanks for that.

[Linked Image]

ladyslipper #146038 Oct 27th, 2007 at 01:16 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i'm sorry they didn't make it!!!

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image