Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello all! My fianc� and I just moved into a beautiful new house bop! The previous owner did a wonderful job with planting and gardening. However, there is one spot in front of the house (see pics) that is rather bare. Because it is in the front of the house I would like something "eye catching" and appealing with lots of year-round color. Not sure if I want many things that are tall but if it helps in creating atmosphere and appeal then I'm all ears!

I'm pretty new to all this so if you could provide me with pictures or visual examples I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

flwr Meshella

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Hmm... i'm not sure exactly what USDA zone you're in, or what types of flowers you prefer, but might i suggest somethings that bloom in the fall, some that bloom early spring, but stay green all summer... I'm not sure how much sun in blocked by that tree either.
Another thingi would suggest is to be very cautious with how tall the plants you choose are. I'd expect some smalller, lower to the ground plants, as to not 'overcrowd' the area, or take away from the tree in the middle, and turn it into a jungle. simple flowers that are common in your area, spread nicely, almost pattern-like or symmetric, would look great thumbup

I'm sure you'll also get a bunch of other opinions soon, too, so don't go by eerything i said lol :wink: kissie

best of luck!

--Mark--

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I just had a thought. That area maybe a bulb bed and you have just missed all the flowers because it is so late in the season and has been such a strange season to begin with. I can't think why else it would look the way it does if you say the previous owners were gardeners. But if not then here are some suggestions.

first things first you need a tall bendable solid edging around the trunk of the tree. Approximately 6 to 8 inches tall and 2 or 3 inches away from the trunk all the way around. That way you can do a raised bed so that the plants you put in won't be competing with the tree for water and nutriment. Which will make for a healthier tree and plants.

Your tree is to small to provide a lot of shade now but with time that will change so for the time being I would say go with sun or part sun loving plants.

Badplanter is right in that your choices will depend on your tastes to a large degree. But here are some possibilities.

Monkshood 3 to 4 feet tall and come in a number of colors.

Adenophora "Lady Bells" 3 feet tall lovely blue flower.

Hollyhock 4 to 6 feet tall on average comes in all colors. It is a biennial which means it comes up as foliage the first year and a flower the second year and then dies. But it produces lots and lots of seeds so if you plant two years conseculatively you'll have plants blooming every year if you don't dead head the plant and let the seeds fall on well maintained soil.

Alchemilla "Lady's Mantle" This comes in a variety of sizes from 18 inches tall to 5 inches tall. It spreads and comes in a variety of colors.

Amsonia 'Blue Ice' "Blue Star flower" 15 to 18 inches tall. Comes in blue.

That's all I have time for today but I might come back and add more later.

As far as pictures just put in the name of the flower and google images of them.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
What a charming house, very pretty 'flower power bug' as well, too cute.

First I like to ask if you are adding an accessory as well? Do you plan to sit out there or just admire the view? What colours do you like, do you have a favorite flower? Do you want to have varying heights or tall to short.

Can you give us a little of your likes and dislikes?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
Do you plan on having the whole thing solid plants?
...or are putting anything else there...like a water feature or a bird bath, etc?

I could put a bird bath there. However nothing that requires electricity. The electrical outlet is on the garadge side wall by the front door and the cord would have to stretch across the walk way so a beautiful water feature would be out.

I like things to have order and not look like a jungle. So I would say no on the solid plants. And even though "wild flowers" are pretty I would say no to them here too.

flwr Meshella

500 Posts
500 Posts
ooooohhhhh! I think a small fish pond and sitting area would be nice under the shady side of that tree, with med. growing foliage and some small flowers,like pansy,etc................................ flwr flwr flwr

OP Offline
Originally Posted by badplanter
Hmm... i'm not sure exactly what USDA zone you're in, or what types of flowers you prefer, but might i suggest somethings that bloom in the fall, some that bloom early spring, but stay green all summer... I'm not sure how much sun in blocked by that tree either.
Another thingi would suggest is to be very cautious with how tall the plants you choose are. I'd expect some smalller, lower to the ground plants, as to not 'overcrowd' the area, or take away from the tree in the middle, and turn it into a jungle. simple flowers that are common in your area, spread nicely, almost pattern-like or symmetric, would look great thumbup

I'm sure you'll also get a bunch of other opinions soon, too, so don't go by eerything i said lol :wink: kissie

best of luck!

--Mark--

Hi Mark,

I think I am in zone 8a. It's really hard for me to tell on the map here. I am in zip code 97540. As far as what kind of flowers I prefer.... Hmmmm well pretty much all the ones you see in professional landscaping. Some flowers and plants I like are pansies, petunias, mums, I love alyssum, grape hyacinths, tulips, coleus, daisies, I would like a tree rose, Echinacea, lavender, Dianthus, snapdragon, clematis, Chrysanthemum, haha anyway I hope that helps. My biggest problem is the designing and choosing the colors.

I hope that helps and thanks for the input!

flwr Meshella

Last edited by Meshella; Sep 28th, 2007 at 10:19 AM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I just had a thought. That area maybe a bulb bed and you have just missed all the flowers because it is so late in the season and has been such a strange season to begin with. I can't think why else it would look the way it does if you say the previous owners were gardeners. But if not then here are some suggestions.

first things first you need a tall bendable solid edging around the trunk of the tree. Approximately 6 to 8 inches tall and 2 or 3 inches away from the trunk all the way around. That way you can do a raised bed so that the plants you put in won't be competing with the tree for water and nutriment. Which will make for a healthier tree and plants.

I'v asked the previous owner, and it's just bare :wink: but good thinking! I LOVE the idea of a raised bed around the tree. I've seen that before and it always looks sharp. The tree by the way is an apple tree :)

flwr Meshella

OP Offline
Originally Posted by tamara
What a charming house, very pretty 'flower power bug' as well, too cute.

First I like to ask if you are adding an accessory as well? Do you plan to sit out there or just admire the view? What colours do you like, do you have a favorite flower? Do you want to have varying heights or tall to short.

Can you give us a little of your likes and dislikes?

Thanks so much for your compiments! The flowers you see on the back of my Beetle were added via photo shop to cover my plate angel. I don't think I will be doing anything in that area but just enjoying the view. I have neighbors with small kids and I wouldn't want to attract them with a pond or bench. I would be too worried they would fall in or accidentally step on the plants. Something more on the simple side. The main attraction will be the flowers themselves.

As far as my likes, see my reply to Mark. thumbup

flwr Meshella

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
zone 8? You just lost me there. I live in zone 4 so I couldn't recommend anything. I think a feature of some sort would be nice then build around from that.

Gonna try find some ideas for your zone though.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Please be very careful in thinking about a raised bed around the tree. Some trees get easily smothered when you come too close to the trunk and/or root area. This happened just this summer to my next door neighbor - he planted impatiens and hostas around the trunk of a very large maple tree, and the tree is now pretty much dead! These trees were planted by the town about 30 years ago, and he smothered this one by accident!

So please do some research about the tree before planting right up to the trunk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Ooooo that's too bad tears Thanks for the info! Are apple trees among those "smother" trees? The mound wouldn't need to be too big I supose.

flwr Meshella

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I made a raised bed around my crabapple tree. I slowly tapered the soil up on the outer edges but didn't add any around the base of the tree. I have a flat 12inch circle around the tree and only added the soil from that point out.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by tamara
I made a raised bed around my crabapple tree. I slowly tapered the soil up on the outer edges but didn't add any around the base of the tree. I have a flat 12inch circle around the tree and only added the soil from that point out.

Tamara... could you possibly provide a pic of this :wink:

Thanks,

flwr Meshella

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, I'll check if I have one. back in a sec.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You can't see the base of it in these pics but they'll give you an idea. the poor tree had to be staked this year after damaging winds from a tornado went through. I'll take a close up pic tomorrow to show you exactly what I did.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I just started adding soil a foot away from around the tree and am slowly tapering it out and up over the years.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It's about 3 ft by 5 ft now and am hoping to get it to 5ft by 8 ft in the next two years then I'll add flagstone rock around it(Like this)[Linked Image] and a birdbath or statue.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have to go With what Wild Willy said for that area. Certainly you'd want Curb appeal, and as you already stated you wanted it to remain "Clean" and orderly.. and It's great you considered the neighbor's kids ( Tho they should be taught to stay out of the neighbors yards unless invited> notme)

Starting with a theme is always a step in the right direction,,,

i,e. Fairys ... Lavender(s) , ,varigated hosta, or flowering sedums, bell flowers, dianthus, Herbs, panseys , bulbs of delicate flowers, sooooooo many colors to choice from grin
OR***********

Different sized solar gazing balls..... placed accordingly so it's not cluttered ,,,,, with flowers of color choice to allow the gazing ball to compliment the foliage and blooms and vise versa,,,

Solar water fall feature small but attractive Like the kind where it flows from basin to basin 3 tier ,, noone can fall in it and a statue of something on the other side and S shaped rows of flowers connecting the two sides leading to the statue and solar fountain ,,setting a theme i/e/classic theme

OR rock garden using any choice of landscapng deco rock .....smooth/rolled, or rough and rugged, Incorporating a couple of large rocks/small bolders sitting next to each other in one corner of the bed with cascading flowers cfrepping phlox( or a mix of cascading flowers,,,, Vinca, Blue daze, rockcress, spruuing from the center between the top of the two large rocks/ small bolders and cascading over them like a water fall would be the focal point and work your way to the opposite corner adding different heights and colors but planting in a diagonel direction ending with a low growing flower( Dew plant) cascading off the opposite corner so it will appear as a fountain of flowers using the deco rock to border the "flow" and in the opposite corners where there are No flowers a small solar Whimsical item of your choice,, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think I just gave myself an idea with the two large rocks idea lol lol lol

Any way here is a list of theme gardens >>>>>>>> Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm idea

Annuals

Astrology

Biblical

Bulb

Butterfly

Children's

Cottage

Cut

Egyptian

English

Fairy

Fragrance

French

Heirloom

Hidden

Historical

Hobbit

Hummingbird

Japanese

Jenni (non-bee attracting)

Moonlight Evening

Native American

Perennial

pepper

Rainbow

Salsa

Secret

Shade

Sheila (worm girl)

Songbird

Specialty

Sunflower

this could give you more of an Idea thumbup
http://d21c.com/Sherry727/seasonal/pgs/themegardens.html

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
What if you carry the plantings already on the side on down making the area you need work on smaller and then just add a bird bath and maybe a hummingbird feeder on a shepherds hook or some type of bird feeder. Then possibly some large containers that you can keep filled year round.

OP Offline
Oh man! These are some great ideas!! Will I only be able to start this come spring time? Is there anything I can start now? I like the idea of an Asian theme but don't know how feasible it is in my zone and what I could plant that would be hearty. Wow I feel like we are really getting somewhere! Can't wait to start and take pictures!

thumbup Way to go everyone!!!! I'm soooo excited!!!

flwr Meshella

What is the white object by the tree? Is a septic system in that area? Was some sewer or drain repair/replacement work done there recently? If work was done you will want to wait a season to do any planting. If that is the case a mulch cover would be a start. Should a septic system exist you will be limited in what can be planted there.

Check this website: www.lonepinepublishing.com
The company publishes three Washington/Oregon books: Annuals, Perennials and Trees/Shrubs. These books are written by local gardeners and geared to plants that will grow in your area, have excellent color photos and descriptions right down to soil type, sun/shade, etc. You can compare the suggestions you've received with the books suggestions. Your library may have a copy.

Your county extension service (locate using google)will have your zone and is a good source for local info. If you find you have a septic system ask the extension for possibly a soil conservation department that could recommend planting for such an area.

I also caution building up soil around an established tree. Be aware roots of the tree extend out to the end of the branches (called the dripline) and can extend a few feet beyond. Mulch around the tree with a groundcover or 2" layer of an organic product.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by herbalyn
What is the white object by the tree? Is a septic system in that area? Was some sewer or drain repair/replacement work done there recently? If work was done you will want to wait a season to do any planting. If that is the case a mulch cover would be a start. Should a septic system exist you will be limited in what can be planted there.

Check this website: www.lonepinepublishing.com
The company publishes three Washington/Oregon books: Annuals, Perennials and Trees/Shrubs. These books are written by local gardeners and geared to plants that will grow in your area, have excellent color photos and descriptions right down to soil type, sun/shade, etc. You can compare the suggestions you've received with the books suggestions. Your library may have a copy.

Your county extension service (locate using google)will have your zone and is a good source for local info. If you find you have a septic system ask the extension for possibly a soil conservation department that could recommend planting for such an area.

I also caution building up soil around an established tree. Be aware roots of the tree extend out to the end of the branches (called the dripline) and can extend a few feet beyond. Mulch around the tree with a groundcover or 2" layer of an organic product.

Thanks for the wonderful link! I will definately explore it further. The "white thing" I think you are referring to is a bucket that I put all my fallen apples in. We are JUST barely within city limits so we are on city services, no septic :wink:. There is also a box full of rakings on the right side of the picture facing the house. Maybe that was what you were referring too.

flwr Meshella

Yes to those city services of water and sewer. We have two septic vents with tops that look similar to that bucket. I thought the white object by the tree 'looked' like a bucket but never hurts to make certain.

Consider choosing plants along the fence line high enough to block playing children from entering garden space but low enough so your view isn't blocked when backing out of your driveway. You might place a few objects of varying heights in that area and back the car out to arrive at the height you can see over. Avoid having to prune whenever possible.

Have you thought about adding grass to the road, and put more flowers on the side??

I was just thinking, if that's an apple tree, you wouldn't want to have to go in the flower bed to pick apples.

It's just a thought...

[img][IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/LF_from_MC/Land2.jpg[/img][/img]

OP Offline
Originally Posted by herbalyn
Consider choosing plants along the fence line high enough to block playing children from entering garden space but low enough so your view isn't blocked when backing out of your driveway. You might place a few objects of varying heights in that area and back the car out to arrive at the height you can see over. Avoid having to prune whenever possible.

I've thought a lot about this. I really like Burning Bush. Don't know how asian that is but I like the firy red. Do you know if they are red like that all year or if they loose thier leaves? I also thought about planting grasses there or some Lavender. Again not sure how Asian that is but I'd like to try and stick to that. I don't mind if it's not ALL Asian. rose

flwr Meshella

OP Offline
Originally Posted by LF from MC
Have you thought about adding grass to the road, and put more flowers on the side??

I was just thinking, if that's an apple tree, you wouldn't want to have to go in the flower bed to pick apples.

It's just a thought...

[img][IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/LF_from_MC/Land2.jpg[/img][/img]

That is an interesting though! Will have to kick that idea around some!!

Thanks!!

flwr Meshella

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image