Print Thread
Rate Thread
#132051 Sep 21st, 2007 at 05:02 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

I was wondering how one harvesterd seeds from this plant. if I take off a spent bloom there is but 1 seed at the bottom---does this mean that I have to only get 1 seed at a time?? or is there sometihing I am not getting?

I am assuming it will come back itself??

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #132983 Sep 22nd, 2007 at 10:44 PM
I was hoping someone else would answer this for you because my description is so poor, but here goes:

Most Salvias have a fake thing at the base of the caylx that some people think you peel open to get the seeds because it is black and looks like it should yield something useful. I'm not sure what it's called, and I'm not sure what they are, but they aren't seeds. The fake seed is sort of attached to the pod, and you have to pick it loose, whereas seed is not attached as long as the flowers have all turned brown.

The real seed at the bottom of each husk (dried flower pod), one-four per flower. They are round, not flat, and usually oval in shape, and a chestnut brown to black, depending on the kind of Salvia. If you have a *dried* scape with many flowers, you can sort of hold it horizontally and tap it against something and the seed pods facing down will drop their seed. Rotate it, and they keep dropping. You don't want to beat it like a crazy person or they'll come out and fly off the plate, just sort of tap it.

You will have a bunch of junk mixed in with the seed, so just lightly blow and the chaff will blow off and you'll be left with the seed which is relatively heavy.

There are many red salvias, and some will come back for you, and some are annuals which will not come back for you unless they self-sow.

I never throw away the chaff of Salvias because I always miss some seeds...I just crumble it up and toss it out in spring to see what might germinate.

PG
PartyGirl #133412 Sep 24th, 2007 at 07:54 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
thanks so very much. I think you gave a good explanation--i will go try it today.

________

JunieGirl #133679 Sep 25th, 2007 at 05:14 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
If you peel the brown thing....you can useually find the seeds inside...mostly 1-4.I sow mine chaff and all& some of my traders do the same as I don't always clean them as gives me a headache serching for the seeds and makes my eyes burn.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #134166 Sep 27th, 2007 at 05:39 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Njoynit: I like the way you think--I may do that--for myself, anyway-- thumbup

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image