Print Thread
Rate Thread
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
friday was a 'PA' or professional activity day for teachers to meet. I went to the mall and found went crazy shopping! at walmart I saw the lady start to unpack a two tier cart of orchids, there were two carts and I ended up buying two, though I've never tried my hands at orchids before. the orchids were 9.97 each, some had two stems, but the ones I got only had one. there was a really nice old lady who helped me pick them and taught me a bit about care. one is a pink phalaenopsis and th other a white one with a yellow tint in the center. Pink one in full bloom, and the white one had four opened blooms with three buds which one is opening at this moment. the blooms are about 5-6" in diameter. also got some aromatherapy scents: citrus bergamot, freesia, gardenia, rose, lilac, and lavender. That was the morning.

evening, my brother (in grade 2) had Chinese school and we went to the mall again. went to walmart...there were 3 orchids left from the two carts! went and bought some really nice handmade glass beads and made myself a little peace chaplet...and bought some felt pompom kitty and doggie kits. went to the bookstore to find a little kit with a travelling gnome...cost $11 for the 3" gnome but its cute! next year I'm going to buy a bigger one at walmart (the 24" ones)for a fw dollars more. I also got some really nice 100% pure beeswax candles on sale for only $12! That was the evening.

And so ends a hard day of work..made up for it by sleeping a full 8 hours (my first since I can remember in a long while) I may go back to the mall again tomorrow to see if there is anything else to buy, most likely not

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Do you have a warm sunny spot for those orchids? I've never grown them but I think they like it real warm.

How old are you? We hear a lot of bad stuff about teens but for a teenager I think you're way cool.

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Do you have a warm sunny spot for those orchids? I've never grown them but I think they like it real warm.

How old are you? We hear a lot of bad stuff about teens but for a teenager I think you're way cool.

I've never grown them either, but so far I've given them very light morning and evening sun and afternoon shade from the sun. I read about temperature fluxes for them so one is on top of the stero system right beside the window and one is on the tv. I got both the stero and tv for free, my dads friends didn't want the tv and gave it to him to put in my room, and the system is from my grandfather's room before we moved and I ended up getting it. I think I'll maybe keep them a bit warmer...

I'm 16...I know what you mean by bad things...it is kinda cool being a teen...most people are scared of you and they avoid you...so when I was choosing the orchids...people moved out of my way lol gets quite useful for sales and everyone's pushing and crowding...I never get pushed! lol I'm not 'that' cool...most people think I'm kinda weird, I mean how oftern do you find a guy growing flowers?

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
guys who aren't secure in themselves probably won't grow flowers but they have more issues than I care to mention. Being kinda wierd is a good thing these days. Who wants to be mainstream!!!

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Being kinda wierd is a good thing these days. Who wants to be mainstream!!!

thumbup

[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I tried to post a comment on your blog but couldn't because I don't have an account. Someone sent me some jobs tears. I'll have to get those planted next spring. Very cool stuff.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oooo, you had the shopping bug Kenny! lol Sounds like you got some nice things, especially the orchids.

BTW---men gardening is cool to me....My grandad gardened all his life. He even had greenhouses. I think it's great that you enjoy plants as a guy that's younger. clap

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I didn't realize the links were still there..I forgot all about those two! I didn't grow any this year, but I will next year definitely! and they're so easy as well!

[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
do they need full sun or shade?

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I had mine in semi shade, but I read they do well in sun...they're like corn (grass family, coix) so you should plant them in a block to help pollenation, via wind

[Linked Image]

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Good luck with the orchids Kenny. I dont have enough light to even try here.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I really want a dig camera...this child's one doesn't have a preview screen and its a pain to upload after every 20 pics to see if they were in the frame

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by kennyso
I mean how oftern do you find a guy growing flowers?

Kenny, our Mr. Bill might raise his eyebrows at that!!

lol

kissie
Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Good point Merme.

5k Posts
5k Posts
You know, I used to be considered weird (still am, most likely). And I've always thought: Would you just want to make average money? Or have just average friends? Or maybe live in an average neighborhood? Well, I'd rather make great money, have fantastic, trustworthy friends, and live in a phenomenal, beautiful neighborhood. So, what's so great about being normal/average when you could be so much more? lol lol

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
I mean how oftern do you find a guy growing flowers?

Kenny, our Mr. Bill might raise his eyebrows at that!!

lol

kissie
Merme

egad touched lol
me head is sore snooz ...look at the effect of peer pressure lol...

that is a good point, and also considering a lot of famous plant names were discovered by guys...poinsettias, forsythias...

You guys are such confidence boosters! Thanks guys! kissie this year my garden may be th laughing talk of all the relatives but next year its going to be all full and then we'll see whose laughing! Weird is normal I suppose, in a society like ours today. Be weird, live happy and live to the fullest; that's all that matters: that you're happy

[Linked Image]

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
blush

Kenny your acting like me.. I have 3 of the Phal.. orchids and one I had for 2 or 3 years and it is a walmart one...
Those don't require sun...........Mine is in the south window without sun. Inside.
YOu must keep water under Phal.. type ......They are water freeks. Put those into the orchid potting soil ........I have a tray under mine and keep it with water.
No sun on those..
Mine blooms , quits and you cut the stem to 2 inches .. In about 6 months it will rebloom........

My other orchid is Dendrobium.....It requires Bright indirect sunlight.
It is a week old here and is looking better.

i feed them weak miracle grow once a month.
Dend...........is planted in a little log......SOme orchids grow on trees in florida.

This needs sun.....The Phala. doesnt .......Mine has tags on it.

Good luck..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Please Kenny. Don't act like dodge.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
madd madd madd bow

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
flwr
I concur''''''''
There are many men growing flowers in my area........
One of my special friends is a Florist ..Male.

And Kenny is also in making Jewels which he isnt bragging about.. He made me one of the sweetest red rosarys which I carry to church all the time.....
At 15 boy and girls are still developing the great talents.......Of anything...
Look at everything not just one talent.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
I'm not 'that' cool...most people think I'm kinda weird, I mean how oftern do you find a guy growing flowers?

Kenny...I think you are pretty cool...and as far as "how often do you find a guy growing flowers?"...not often enough, sad to say.
I'm glad you grow flowers...real men aren't afraid to grow flowers! kissie
kenny, when my mother was your age, the most famous floral designer and teacher in our town was a man. just invoking his name "i was trained by brooks thornton" was enough to get anyone a job anywhere that had anything to do with flowers. growing them, arranging them, etc. and, when i was your age, his legend was STILL there!

you will be great like that one day. or like bill. i like being able to say "bill beaurain, THE garden helper" is a friend of mine!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Hey kenny,

Did you know flowers were started by a man named Luther Burbank?
Do you know in america, I have yet to see a Public green house owned by Ladies.
The men do it .. I have friend in Maryland whose man actually raises the flowers for his green houses and uses tractors to do the plowing and planting n watering .
Ps He supplied the White house here with the flowers for the President when he was sworn in..........Yep HE IS A MAN......

Now this no death sentence, It take all kinds to make a world....I been a farmer all my life an i am a lady.........SO I am a crazy mixed up kid too.....Retired one.. Still on the farm.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Kenny: My great grandfather had a greenhouse business in England--(although he also worked in the mines) My grandfather & his brother moved here in their teens--& they both had huge gardens--(flowers and veggies) My dad who is 81 still puts in a very large garden--he begins with seeds in his greenhouse in february--. His flowers are around the garage,gazebo&yard. Men have been working in flowers for generations---I congratulate you !!

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse

you will be great like that one day. or like bill. i like being able to say "bill beaurain, THE garden helper" is a friend of mine!

thanks everyone, you won't believe how good you guys make me feel and how much more confident and proud! Jiffy, one day I WILL get a job by saying that, and I'm sure you, Loz and Cindy's names are going to help an awful bit too! thanks guys! kissie bop

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image