3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Mark, this one's for you and me! I found this on facebook

You know you're a band geek if...

1. Band is your favorite sport.

2. You hum band songs in other classes.

3. You've ever done roll-step while walking with a full plate or glass to keep things from spilling.

4. You've never been on a Friday night date, thanks to the football games.

5. You walk in step with any music you hear.

6. A snake is a favorite activity, not an animal.

7. You would never go to a football game if not for band.

8. "Hey Baby" really is the only pick-up line you know.

9. You hear the phrase "tongue harder" on a regular basis.

10. You know that "one more time" actually means "four or five more times".

11. You can't watch Pirates of the Caribbean without wondering what formation you should be in.

12. It bothers you when the person walking next to you isn't in step.

13. Your band director's phone number is on speed dial.

14. When you retell some of your favorite memories of summer, you start with the phrase, "This one time at band camp..." and mean it.

15. All your friends are in band.

16. You've actually been to band camp and consider it the highlight of your summer.

17. You know how to play 10 popular-stand tunes, but know the words to none of them.

18. You point out key changes and dynamics when you listen to the radio.

19. You've never had to pay to get into a football/basketball game.

20. You've never sat in your class section at a pep rally because you're always playing.

21. You start humming a showtune from three years ago and your friends join in with their respective parts.

22. You listen to band demo CDs in your car.

23. You know that "push in" and "pull out" are regular tuning phrases and are in no way sexual.

24. You see no pervertedness in the words tongueing, blowing, and fingering.

25. You are late for band because you were at another band rehersal.

26. You think there should be horn pops in symphonic band. (for marching band geeks)

27. You laugh at all of these because you know they're all true.

28. You realize you are out of step with the song in your head and you adjust your step.

29. You have constant arguments as to why your instrument is better.

30. You insist (no, KNOW) marching band is more physically and mentally taxing than football.

31. Even after you graduate, you still go to every competiton and sit with the band.

32. Someone asks you who your favorite band is and you say "High school or college? DCI? Which division? I, II or III?"

33. You have a mnemonic for the different modes... "I Don't Punch Like Muhammad A-Li" (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian).

34. The entire floor of your trunk is littered with sheet music.

35. You're walking to class to the tempo of the ballad, the late bell rings, and you suddenly walk to tempo of the 3rd movement.

36. You carry a metronome in your pocket.

37. You feel the overwhelming compulsion to tap out a drum cadence on the nearest hard surface, even if that means tapping it out on the stranger standing next to you.

38. You know what it's like to have a reed frozen to your lips.

39. You know just how many people can fit into a band locker (from experience).

40. You get upset when an audience can't clap in time or on the right beats.

41. You use the excuse, "I can't, I have rehearsal" more than five times a week.

42. You can tell what someone plays just by looking at them.

43. You only know how football is played because
you are forced to sit through the games.

44. You know your school song by heart, backwards, in the dark, sleeping, and in every key because you have played it so many times.

45. When you hear a school with the same fight song, you want to join in and play.

46. You can look at a little kid and guess what instrument they are going to eventually play... and guess right.

47. You get excited when you hear songs in movies that your jazz band or any other band played.

48. You automatically go to attention when you hear a whistle...including the ref's.

49. You continue doing band in college even if you are not majoring in music.

50. You get annoyed when you are listening to the radio and the car's blinker is not in sync with the beat of the music.

51. You subdivide into 8ths, 16ths, triplets, and quintuplets a turning signal, walk pace, song on the radio, or just about anything that keeps time.

52. You once drove back to your house going 60 mph because you forgot your music, or part of your uniform, or other essential item, before a practice or concert or competition.

53. You describe distance in 8-to-5 steps.

54. Someone threatening to kick your instrument is worse than someone threatening to kick you.

55. You have a favorite key and/or time signature.

56. You listen to a song and think about how cool it would be to arrange it for a field show.

57. You only date people who are in the band (or orchestra or choir).

58. You have most, if not all, of the songs your band(s) has ever played on your MP3 player.

59. You've ever suggested having a lock-in in the band hall.

60. 95% of your pictures in your scrapbook or photo album are pictures of things you did with the band.

61. When your friends call you a band geek, you don't deny it, and in fact, take it as a compliment.

62. You've ever tripped with your instrument and sacrificed your body to protect your horn.

63. You tap your foot to elevator music and the radio.

64. You don't go home on the day of a football game.

65. Your band locker is your personal space for anything and everything.

66. You rarely see your family during the fall because you are always doing marching band things.

67. When you're walking along with a friend, you automatically get in step and in time with their footsteps.

68. Your marching show is your ring tone.

69. You skip other classes due to weather, but then go to band.

70. You hear a slight beat and rhythm to everything around you... i.e., the air conditioner, the fan, the pencil scribble sound, and the squeaky desk.

71. You like the way reeds taste.

72. You wonder what it would be like to play the music in basically every movie you watch.

73. You can listen to a song and figure out the time signature, and often consult with other bandies who are doing the same thing at the same time.

74. You trade instruments when there's a substitute teacher for band class.

75. You've learned the hard way not to walk through the brass section without shoes.

76. You know that getting to a band event early means you're on time, on time means you're late, and late means you're in trouble.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
LMAO KENNY!!! lol lol lol lol lol

Ok, I can agree with ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCEPT:

4, 14, 15, 16, 36[sometimes], 39, 41, 57, 60, 65, and 74

YES, i read through them all! lol lol
Everything else is 100% true! :Lol:

It's amazing, and kinda weird, how we can do some of those! :Lol:

I'd comment on most of those, but i'd be here forever :loL:

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
That is soooooooooooo funny, Kenny! thumbup

Neither of my kids were in marching band, but both were/are very into their instruments and have friends who were in marching band.

Amy is going to major in music performance, and would have been in her school's marching band if not for the fact that she is in music school in NYC all day Saturdays.

Keep up the great work, guys! clap
I agree that the marching band is the BEST part of going to games! flwr
I could care less about the sports end of it all! rspb

oh, and Drumline is one of my alltime favorite movies -
I HAVE to watch it whenever I find it is on tv! bop touched why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered

5. You walk in step with any music you hear.

7. You would never go to a football game if not for band.

10. You know that "one more time" actually means "four or five more times".

12. It bothers you when the person walking next to you isn't in step.

14. When you retell some of your favorite memories of summer, you start with the phrase, "This one time at band camp..." and mean it.

15. All your friends are in band.

16. You've actually been to band camp and consider it the highlight of your summer.

19. You've never had to pay to get into a football/basketball game.

20. You've never sat in your class section at a pep rally because you're always playing.

28. You realize you are out of step with the song in your head and you adjust your step.

32. Someone asks you who your favorite band is and you say "High school or college? DCI? Which division? I, II or III?"

41. You use the excuse, "I can't, I have rehearsal" more than five times a week.

43. You only know how football is played because
you are forced to sit through the games.

64. You don't go home on the day of a football game.

76. You know that getting to a band event early means you're on time, on time means you're late, and late means you're in trouble.

Oh those applied to me in the flag squad and rifle squad too, we were just as important to field shows because of the visuals......and yes I went to band camp, and had dot books, and rehearsal after rehearsal. I know I've said it before but our band was serious---our crowning event was Alantic Coast Championships in Scranton, PA. We were the first band in our county to ever make it! Band camp WAS fun! lol Except when they tried to make me clean toilets.....which I got out of doing, and then I got in trouble and was told to run laps, which I didn't. notme

lol

[Linked Image]

Last edited by loz; Sep 22nd, 2007 at 09:37 AM.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I was on the drill team so some of those apply to me too. I never went on a Friday night date because my boyfriend played football. My girls were cheerleaders so I never watched any of their school football games because I sat on the 2nd row of the bleachers watching the cheerleaders who were usually dancing to the "band." My husband is the drummer in a band right now (a different sort of band), aptly named The Johnny Major Band, so I'm sort of a band geek too. You've got to walk in cadence!!!!! no matter where you are or what the song.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
applies to band moms too! the girls were flag line (here, and in fl, that was serious band business), and matthew marched tuba.

i don't think we had a friday night free in the fall for over 10 years! shock

i've gotta send this to my kids! lol and scott.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse

i don't think we had a friday night free in the fall for over 10 years! shock

I know what you mean. My girls were cheerleaders from 6th through 12th grade. They are 5 years apart. 6, 7, & 8th grades the teams played basketball on Tuesday night and football on Saturday night and in these grades the the girls cheered for basketball too. 9 -12th grades football was on Friday night. So for a few years I was at a game Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. It kept me out of trouble. angel

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
The school I went to before moving here had about 30 people in the senior band (grades 10,11,12) the band here at my new school (wind orchestra of just gr 11 and 12s) have 160+ people...a big difference! I went from playing first to third and the stuff was equally challenging...a real eye opener to the real world for me! we don't really have marching bands here...canada doesn't seem to have much football nor marching bands, except maybe those veteran bands

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
That's a huge difference Kenny! Our band had about 50-60 members and about 18 flag members. We competed in the smallest band division. We had the best band director, he lived and breathed for band. It's a shame you guys don't have marching bands even though there's not really football. What about parades? No marching in them?

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Bestofour
...It kept me out of trouble. angel
it might have kept me out of trouble if i would have went to every game lol i was a big believer in carpooling though!

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
we do have them but its not as common as you sit at school and compete in festivals type of band. the only marching bands that I know of around here are the veterans' and the scouts

[Linked Image]

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
Originally Posted by Bestofour
...It kept me out of trouble. angel
it might have kept me out of trouble if i would have went to every game lol i was a big believer in carpooling though!

carpooling is great! if only I made friends within the band who lives on my street (I know there's a girl who lives like 5 houses down) but I don't know her that well, I think it might be nice for her to get a ride with me since our rehearsals ends at 8:30 on tuesdays and start at 7:00am on thursday...after all I think its safer cuz it already dark outside.

[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Too bad about no marching - that is the best part. My girls HS band won the competitions. It was a great band. And all the parades. I remember those from high school. If I ever get a scanner I'll post my drill team pictures.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
our band got invited to paris to the international youth band festival for new years ellie's senior year. she went. was a good experience, although she got frustrated with her fellow band members saying things like "they knew we were coming, why don't they speak better english and have more american food?"

her response was to ask them in what language they'd greet the hosts if they visited us!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image