Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#132306 Sep 21st, 2007 at 06:31 PM
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have three mammillarias - hahniana, bocasana & matudae. The first two appear to be doing well (the tiny bocasana is flowering), but the matudae seems to be imploding. It looks like a slowly deflating balloon boohoo.They were all bought about the same time, from the same store & were supplied by the same grower. Everything about their living conditions is identical, so I am at a loss as to what is happening to the matudae why. Should I just cut my losses & replace it?? As a newcomer, cactus-wise, any advice would be greatly appreciated. clap wavy

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm not sure what the problem may be. But I would segregate it from the others in case it is contagious, i.e. some type of rot, fungus or insect that could infect the others. Someone will come along with a better idea soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks jonni13. They are in adjoining pots attached onto a tray, so I think I shall evict the matudae & put it in the rubbish bin. It does look like a lost cause, I,m afraid. Hate to admit defeat, though. Would still like to know if there is a known cause for this type of collapse. Thanks once again.

500 Posts
500 Posts
Generally, 'cactus collapse' is from overwatering. They don't need much. The pot you have them in sounds like it could be glazed and you can't vary the water much as they are all draining into and reabsorbing from the same tray. Cacti do best in unglazed terra-cotta, on the smallish side, with a quick draining soil, in full sun. They also take a dry rest in winter (from Thanksgiving to Valentines' Day I don't water mine at all). Here's a cool pic of older Mam. Matudae.

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Ho...laria-matudae/Mammillaria-matudae-1.html

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
The pots my cacti are in are plastic on a shallow tray, easily drained. There are stones at the bottom for drainage with good draining potting mix & they are in full sun for about 7hrs daily. Over winter, they received very little water, as per instructions,(but our winter doesn't really last long). Two of them are still doing well (touch wood!!). Have finally bitten the bullet & removed the matudae. Dissected it & found it was a hollow husk, dry as a bone, had no roots either. All this happened very quickly, too. Ah well, try again. The pic was certainly cool, that plant must be very old, sure is weird!! Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image