Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#132071 Sep 21st, 2007 at 08:10 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I'd like to plant bulbs in pots. Sometimes I don't know where exactly I want to plant them in the fall and when they come up in the spring, I wish they were somewhere else. Also, I'd like to have some pots of tulips to put on the deck or bring in the house in the spring (or force them earlier). If I put them in pots, should they be left outside in the snow rspb this winter or put in an unheated quonset or garage. Will a clay pot crack in the winter?

PattyM
ND farm girl #132073 Sep 21st, 2007 at 08:44 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Clay pots can crack if you leave them out in the snow. As the snow melts into the pot and refreezes it espands & breaks the pot. There are frost proof pots that can be left out.
You can put the pots in a shed, garage etc for the winter. or after the foliage dies off take the bulbs out and store them in your fridge until you want to force them, or plant in pots again in the spring. (the fridge fools them into dormancy)

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image