Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#117280 Aug 23rd, 2007 at 07:25 PM
OP Offline
I am having alot of trouble with my roses this year I have been fighting black spot mildew and rust I have never had all this trouble before but are summer has been pretty wet and cloudy also I am woundering if I can spray all of this stuff with a mild soap soulition and get rid of all of it or do I neeed to treat each thig differently Some of my roses are new this year others are older but they are all having trouble this year. any help I would really be a happy gardener.

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Aug 23rd, 2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Removed email address from post.
trystogolf2 #117643 Aug 24th, 2007 at 11:01 AM
It is my understanding that the mild soap solution is for insects, both black spot and rust are fungus and therefore would not be helped by the soap solution.
I would get a fungicide to spray on your roses.

pattyrocks #117787 Aug 24th, 2007 at 02:58 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
black spot and rust are fungus.
neem oil (diluted,of course) sprayed on a weekly schedule is a good fix if you want to use only one product for all of your rose problems. including insects.but you have to be consistent.

I live in Oregon so I know all about the cloudy, misty, rainy days,cause we get A LOT!!good luck and let us know how it goes....

Mrs.Bradley #123171 Sep 3rd, 2007 at 04:17 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I agree with Mrs. Bradley!!!

Cut off and bag up every leave that is infected with Black spot/rust or fungus.( Every once in a while while cutting off leaves , disinfect your scissors or pruners. I always take a bottle of rubbing alcohol and paper towels with me when I do this and wipe down the blades of scissors especially and completely before moveing on to next rose bush or anything else in the garden Don't let any leaves lay around on the ground that have a fungus you'd be surprised how quickly one black spot leaf 3 ft away can infect good healthy leaves shock boohoo,,

Spray with 'rose Defense spray" ( I use Greenlight products) OR get some neem oil concentrate (* much better economically*) and dilute per direction and after cutting off infected leaves and disposing of them , spray top and under remaining leaves, well before they get full sun for the day, spraying in Early morning is best!, Don't over spray to the point of it Dripping( IT will take too long to dry before the sun gets to it) do this every 7 days for about 3 weeks.. I constantly have this problem here in TX in the spring when it rains a lot,, or when it's especially humid out,, Every year the same thing rolz boohoo But because I love my roses I just deal with it!!! notme lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Mrs.Bradley #127125 Sep 10th, 2007 at 01:43 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for your help I do love my roses but don't know alot about them. So I need all the help I can get. This neem oil were can you get this do I need to go to a gardening store? or would some place say like Home depot have it? bop Thank You agine

angelblossom #127127 Sep 10th, 2007 at 01:45 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for your help. Every one has helped so much good help it is nice to know there is some were one can go to get some help. Thank you again :ding: boohoo

pattyrocks #127129 Sep 10th, 2007 at 01:47 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for your help every one has been very helpful bop kissie

trystogolf2 #127300 Sep 10th, 2007 at 05:42 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by trystogolf2
Thank you for your help I do love my roses but don't know alot about them. So I need all the help I can get. This neem oil were can you get this do I need to go to a gardening store? or would some place say like Home depot have it? bop Thank You agine

Home depot does have rose DEFENSE By green light or other brand(s) also all nursery would have neem oil concentrate androse defense or Fungus defense ~~~~~ all are good!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #128751 Sep 13th, 2007 at 12:30 PM
OP Offline
OKEY DOKEY I am on my way thak You again for your help was just out in the rose garden and have even more ukk I sprayed the other day but eaither the spray was old or just not the right stuff. so am off to find need oil or fungus stuff thank you again

trystogolf2 #131398 Sep 19th, 2007 at 03:27 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I get my neem oil concentrate at Fred Meyer (aka Kroger) it is by greenlight,and sold in the garden department with all the chemicals and stuff.

Mrs.Bradley #161839 Dec 17th, 2007 at 11:03 AM
If you want to try something for control of Powdery Mildew and Black Spot that is not a harsh chemical, try a product called Greencure. It is available on-line at a few locations. If anyone is interested let me know and I will provide the link where I get it from. You can check it out at www.greencure.net also. I have used it for three years now with excellent results! It even stopped and kept away the powdery mildew that used to attack our pumpkins and cucumber vines leaves! We had bumper crops of each. :o)

Stan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image