Print Thread
Rate Thread
#56962 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 04:57 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
mine is stove top tuna casserole.

make a box of macaroni and cheese, using a whole stick of butter and half a cup of milk, then add a drained can of tuna and a drained can of peas. good stuff, fast dinner, my family hates it, i love it rspb

#64122 Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
stove top tuna casserole.

make a box of macaroni and cheese, using a whole stick of butter and half a cup of milk, then add a drained can of tuna and a drained can of peas. good stuff, fast dinner, my family hates it, i love it rspb

We ate this a lot as kids Jiffy and I loved it! Still do as a matter of fact! It tastes good and is easy to make! Everybody I have told this to has never heard of it and thinks it sounds gross. Glad to hear that somebody else eats it too! lol

#64127 Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Oh I just noticed a difference. One thing we had in our tuna casserole that I see you don't is a can of cream of mushroom soup. It is excellent!

#64156 Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:16 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I still make tuna helper a lot and we had tuna casserole growing up too! thumbup

#64619 Jun 12th, 2007 at 04:01 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I had never had tuna casserole until I was in high school (ate it at a friends house then)
My dad does not like tuna, so mom & us kids would eat it for lunch.

We did eat a lot of wild game & fish though. Anybody ever eat wild doves in sage/bacon & butter??/ You make Polenta to go with it & if you are brave & healthy you put the butter & oil you cooked the birds in on top as you would gravy. Heavenly!! But this was before the knowledge of cholesterol.

But I can STILL taste it!!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #67105 Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:02 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
carol, we ate a lot of fish too. pa helped support us by catching and selling fish, so we ate a lot of fish. fried fish and grits is still a favorite. and my kids will eat that thumbup (and so does the yankee husband lol )

#67121 Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:13 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Well Penny, grits aren't really an everyday thing that people eat up north so that is probably why.

I had grits for the first time when I was in Florida and I did not like them! I don't really know how to explain them but they didn't taste good! But, that is my personal opinion!

Last edited by plantqueen; Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:14 AM.
#67132 Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:22 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
penny, i'll send you some with specific instructions for cooking them. if they aren't cooked right, you may as well eat sand. and jess, i'd bet you had them in a restaurant, didn't you? lol

raw, it looks a lot like cream of wheat. only grittier. what grits are, is the corn that isn't corn meal yet, but is cracked beyond hominy.

in the south, we cook them 1 part grits to 5 parts water, simmering with salt and butter until tender and the desired consistancy. if you don't have enough butter, salt, or they aren't done all the way, like i said, eat wet sand, it'll taste better.

but well cooked grits can't be beat, and if they are cooked right, anyone who likes "new" food usually likes them. (my gramma convinced scott they were edible, along with fried green tomatoes lol )

#67144 Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:28 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'll hook you up, just give me time, i'm sloooooooow! blush

for breakfast, we eat them with eggs, and meat if we have it, for lunch and supper, they go with fatback, fish, or fried shrimp (some people - like paula deen - eat them with shrimp and tomato gravy, never had that, can't make myself try it)

#67180 Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:52 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if you are truly southern, she's over rated, but she has given legitimacy to southern food thumbup

#67190 Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:56 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
her fried chicken is good, and she makes good biscuits. but the line to get in her restaurant is horrible, and she charges way too much for plain ol' poor folks food. i mean, really $18 for grits with tomato gravy and half a dozen medium shrimp shock but, like i said, the fried chicken is good thumbup

i hate making my own fried chicken, it's messy rspb

#67205 Jun 15th, 2007 at 12:13 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
2 blocks from my office in savannah. it is called "lady and sons"

#67209 Jun 15th, 2007 at 12:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I did have them in a restaurant Jiffy! They reminded me of cream of wheat with no flavor at all! I added butter and salt but I just couldn't eat them! lol Guess I should try some homemade ones!

What is fatback? I have never heard of it. why

#67212 Jun 15th, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
We ate a lot of hotdishes when we were growing up and I still make them all the time. I don't have one specific favorite because there are so many different ones that we make but I have always really liked tatertot hotdish in the fall or winter!

#67222 Jun 15th, 2007 at 01:15 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
fat back is the part of the pig that the bacon is cut from, but is right against the skin, it is almost all fat with a thick rind. it is fried until there isn't any fat left hardly and it is really hard and cruncy.

jess, what is tatertot hotdish? i've never heard of that.

#67227 Jun 15th, 2007 at 01:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
lol I knew you would say that! Most people have never heard of any kind of hotdish because it is an upper midwest thing!

Read this!

Tatertot hotdish is ground beef mixed with cream of mushroom soup and green beans(that is the veggie I use). You put that in a baking pan and then top it with tater tots and bake it. There you have tatertot hotdish! You will see a pic of it on that link!

Even after you explained fatback I have never heard of it or heard of anybody eating something like that! why

#67248 Jun 15th, 2007 at 02:07 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
fatback is a country/poor thing, a few steps above chitterlings (pronounced chit-lins)

there are restaurants here that serve it!

and i see, you use the tater tots like we use potato chips or pretzels! sounds good!

#67252 Jun 15th, 2007 at 02:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You put pretzels on hotdishes??? shock Never heard of that!

Never heard of chitterlings either! And that is not how I would pronounce it! lol lol neener

#67255 Jun 15th, 2007 at 02:12 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
trust me, you wouldn't eat them either devil but i promise, you'd love something called cracklin' bread. that's cornbread with the gribblies from frying bacon/fatback mixed in. good stuff thumbup

and pretzels crushed makes great toppings for casseroles or hotdishes!

#67260 Jun 15th, 2007 at 02:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hmmmmmm.....never tried that with pretzels! Might have to try that!

Cracklin' bread sounds good! I probably would like that! Don't know what chitterlings are but they don't sound very good!

#67263 Jun 15th, 2007 at 02:24 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
fried greem tomatoes--yes---better than fried zucchini!!
i think I had grits once at a restaurant by reelfoot lake. We love to go to Union city TN and then to reelfoot to stay ther ofr a night to eat the food there.

I think my favorite childhood food is/was the doves and the squirrel in red gravy & polenta---you can make it with dark meat chicken if you want--still good!!

________

#67311 Jun 15th, 2007 at 04:13 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
triss, that reminded me of a "special" breakfast we used to get once in a great while.

bologna boats... (pronounced baloney boats)

take a piece of bologna (the oscar meyer type, but we never got oscar meyer, too expensive) and fry it in a hot skillet with some bacon grease, the after it curls (it will make a bowl) fill it with scrambled eggs and grits... i used to LOVE that, but not sure i could eat fried bologna anymore why

#67321 Jun 15th, 2007 at 04:32 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
As a child, there were so many of us around the table that my mother would set large platters of eggs and bacon on the table for us to serve ourselves.
When the bacon was gone we would pour syrup into the bacon grease that was left and 'sop' homemade biscuits in it! Yum!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #67351 Jun 15th, 2007 at 05:35 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup sounds good to me shirley!

#67511 Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:11 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Oh Triss,--about the fried Bologna---- sure you could--i know i could--and as a matter of fact I think i will have my husband buy some so i can do just that---or perhpas have my brother, the butcher, slice me some a bit thicker so it tastes more like a hot dog---remember the real hotdogs that came in real casing?? taste was divine!!!

Oh, I am so very hungry---do you all think perhpas we were more hungy when we were littls & that is why we remember food tasting so very good?? i have often wondered----

________

JunieGirl #67551 Jun 16th, 2007 at 05:24 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
You can make fried bologna in a microwave too, no extra grease needed. grin Never thought of putting eggs on it. hmmm.

We had one of my childhood favorites for dinner last night. BF said lets have hot dogs & beans. {{OH NO NOT AGAIN!!}} Hot dogs sounded ok, SO......
Mom used to make this, very easy!
Boil egg noodles til still a bit firm {but not crunchy firm}, stir in a can of condensed cream of tomato soup, add cheese, she used velveeta {cant stand the thought of that anymore} I used some thinly sliced & chopped, or you can grate it, cheddar and a few slices of american cheese(the Kraft american slices type or deli) Mix it up good. Put slices of american on top, then the hot dogs in a single layer on top of that. Bake it covered (350*) until the cheese is melted and hot dogs are cooked.(my HD's were frozen so i cooked them in the water I was going to boil the noodles in, then the noodles in the hot dog water, from the hot dog greaseys, no sticky noodles! Then baked it all in the ame pot. 1 pot dinner!!) Mom used to broil it at the end to brown up the hot dogs. I didnt know if the pot I used would stand up to the broiler. You can make it in a stock pot, Mom used a dutch oven, or you can transfer noodles etc to a casserole dish.

#68016 Jun 16th, 2007 at 08:42 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by plantqueen
lol I knew you would say that! Most people have never heard of any kind of hotdish because it is an upper midwest thing!

Read this!

Tatertot hotdish is ground beef mixed with cream of mushroom soup and green beans(that is the veggie I use). You put that in a baking pan and then top it with tater tots and bake it.

Jess; we make this variation of your hot dish:
you take your dish, use tomato soup instead of the COM but add pepper. make mashed potatoes, dryer than you would adding a beaten up egg. place around the outer edge of the casserole the greenbean/meat mixture is in. Bake it until hot & bubly and or the mashed potatoes are slightly browned.--and there you are.
very similiar aren't they??

________

JunieGirl #68813 Jun 18th, 2007 at 07:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That sounds kind of like Shepherd's Pie to me! why

But, yes it does sound similar. We make many different kinds of hotdishes and they are all the same concept. You just put different things in them!

#76722 Jun 26th, 2007 at 09:20 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
I've never heard of 'hotdish' before but is sounds just like a casserole. Here is my favorite childhood food: buckwheats. They are like pancakes except slightly sour and paper thin. It's an old family recipe (at least 5 generations, including me):
2 Cups milk
2 Cups water
1 pkg yeast
1.5-2 cups flour
1.5-2 Cups Buckwheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 t. baking soda

Mix the first 6 ingredients together; batter will not be much thicker than syrup. Let sit at least overnight on counter. In a small bowl combine the water and baking soda. Add to batter. Bake in a very hot Cast Iron (must be cast iron) skillet greased with Only bacon fat or baking spray. Serve with maple syrup, heavy cream, and a several generous dollops of butter.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. I may have to make these tonight for dinner tomorrow. You let the batter ferment overnight or even for a few days. But it's sooooo good.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #128326 Sep 12th, 2007 at 08:48 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
my sister and I had a charlie brown cookbook for kids and we used to make these cheese balls from it. not the Dippy kind. they were like cheese muffin type. they were soo good. I wish I could find that recipe book. lotsa neat recipes for kids,and my daughter loves to make stuff like that.........................................................

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if you find it, please post the recipe, that sounds good!

#128652 Sep 13th, 2007 at 08:32 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I will.

and in turn, if anyone sees that charlie brown cookbook, please let me know where. Thanks!

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My mother used to make chocolate peanut butter drop candy. It was so delicious. She lost it in a move we made and has never been able to replicate it.

Heyhey, Mrs. Bradley! If you mean The Peanuts Cookbook, you can find it on eBay. Happy hunting. kat wavy

KAT2007 #129655 Sep 15th, 2007 at 01:25 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
sheri, were they like peanutbutter balls dipped in chocolate? if so, she might find a similar recipe listed as "buckeyes". i've seen and eaten several versions of those, and boy are they good.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image