Rate Thread
#127716 Sep 11th, 2007 at 09:10 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I have often caught myself ridiculously (and humorously) telling my son some oddball bits of logic as to why he must always or must never do something. I think it is the always and the nevers that get me fouled up and catch me in the silly Mom-Reasoning.

Recently, Maxi was complaining about all the work we go through to wash, dry and replace the slip cover on our loveseat and he wanted to know why we couldn't just toss it over the couch all willy-nilly and call it done?

I said "Well, because if someone comes, I want the living room to look nice when they come in the door."

He reminded me of all our friends who've seen the place messier than just having the slipcover awry.

So, in true Mom-Logic I countered with "But what if the President comes?"

When he got up from the floor, still laughing, he wanted to know "WHY would the President come?"

So I said, well if he was driving down our road and was lost....

To which my son replied with a side-splitting belly-laugh practically choking himself trying to get the words out to remind me the President has a cell phone, and Secret Service and all manner of backups, so it would be very unlikely he'd ever need to visit us!

He still helped me get the slipcover on, and very nicely I might add, well, because I AM the mom, right?

So now when I tell him to do something he can't see the usefulness of, he asks "Because what if the President comes?" (snicker snicker)

And I say YES! What IF!

But still, I have a headful of alwayses and nevers my mom and grandmom passed along to me, and I'm sure you do too. Always wear clean undies because what if you are in an accident? Always take a bath before going to the doctor because what if he finds out you didn't? And so on. And so on.

In fact, I think my entire life has been governed by all the alwayses and nevers I was taught in childhood and it makes me happy to think I've passed along a new one to my son "What if the president comes?" There is some satisfaction in thinking about when he is a man and will be telling his children "get that done because what if the president comes?!"

Evil, aren't I?

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Sep 11th, 2007 at 09:13 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
lol lol

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Wendy, I just KNEW you were gunna post Laughing Smilies at that one; I just knew it!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
lol thumbup lol OR what if Martha Stewart came by? shock lol

#127796 Sep 11th, 2007 at 11:30 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Merme,
Love it- used to tell my kids the country is a democracy but in this house I am the dictator .... got a lot of eye rolling at the time- .....
now they say it to their kids!
LOL!
Nana

[Linked Image]
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Nana ~ my sister used to say that all the time. Her kids called her "commie mommy". We all laughed.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
How true Merme. My mother-in-law was the true 'always and never' person. Today we think about it and smile because you never know what can really happen.

Wouldn't it be so cool if there was a look-alike of the President that could be arranged to go to your home to use the phone. The look on Maxi's face would be priceless grin

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
Wouldn't it be so cool if there was a look-alike of the President that could be arranged to go to your home to use the phone. The look on Maxi's face would be priceless grin

That would be UNFORGETTABLE! Wouldn't we love pranking him like that?!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
The Presidents family has a compound here in Maine, not too far from where we live. The sail often along the coast. It isn't COMPLETELY absurd to think he could see the President one day, or the President's dad around Portland... just not in need of our phone! lol

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Nana's11
Merme,
Love it- used to tell my kids the country is a democracy but in this house I am the dictator .... got a lot of eye rolling at the time- .....
now they say it to their kids!
LOL!
Nana

yep here too---one pre-vacation time a few years ago--my DH & the girls (teens then) were packing our car. the girls had 1 idea, (& noted there were 2 of them with the same idea & "dad" with one idea) the DH another--so HE says--well this is NOT a democracy it is a dictatorship, so we will pack my way. they remind him of that comment even to this day.

and yes, Merme I think we all have the always & nevers--and our kids one day adopt them-- :wink: clap

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
#128324 Sep 12th, 2007 at 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by loz

Now there's something that would get me cleaning and organizing. And now that you've said it I must get everything spic 'n span.

Nuria
#128346 Sep 12th, 2007 at 09:47 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
I never understood that one why ...my mom used it all the time.
I always wondered if having clean underwear on kept me safer...or what? touched

Makes no difference, they cut the clothes off ya and leave ya naked anyway lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
Makes no difference, they cut the clothes off ya and leave ya naked anyway lol

THAT'S why you are supposed to have clean undies on -- 'coz the whole world is going to see them!

lol lol

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
LOL.
When I had my car accident- the paramedic appoligized for having to cut my jeans off- he was younger than my youngest kid I think,,, so yes wear clean undies..you never know when a giant black Pathfinder will run into you.....
PS yes had clean underwear and it is no fun to ride in an ambulance..
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by cancolgirl
Originally Posted by loz

Now there's something that would get me cleaning and organizing. And now that you've said it I must get everything spic 'n span.

I would let Martha do it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
#128517 Sep 12th, 2007 at 06:19 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot

,, so yes wear clean undies..you never know when a giant black Pathfinder will run into you.....
If I got hit by a Pathfinder my underwear wouldn't be clean..... blush
...after i got hit.

Know what you mean Cindy.

I went to work one day, called the doctor thinking they would make me an appointment but they told me to come on over. I didn't think he would make me take off my clothes but he told me to undress down to my bra and underwear and put on a gown. I had on a purple, flowered bra and navy blue underwear. I couldn't keep my mind on what he was telling me because I was so concerned about my mismatched underoos. I wanted to tell him that I was color blind or that these were my high school colors or something.

I worked with a woman who had a little baby, hadn't washed, went out at lunch and had a wreck. They had to cut her out of the car, put her on a back board to take her to the ER. She said the only thing she could think of was that since she had not washed that she was wearing her only clean undies and they were pink, velvet panties and a bra that she hadn't worn since her honeymoon and she said that later the nurses told her that she kept telling all the men doctors and men nurses that she usually doesn't wear this kind of thing. She was ok.

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Oh Sheri, those stories are too funny!

Once, very early on a Sunday morning, I went to the ER by ambulance. I was wearing my elaborate make-up and face jewelry I used to wear.... VERY gussied up. All the nurses wanted to know where I'd been all night dressed like that?

I said "church this morning" and they all schreeched "CHURCH?!"

Twas true. I'd been to church, had a heart attack while there, and the ambulance brought me in and a family took Maxi to their house. I don't think the nurses believed my story until my priest walked in.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
but, did you have on clean, mstching undies?

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
YUP!!!

I wouldn't dream of going to church in anything but!!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
lol @ Sheri & Merme. lol

I too got taken to the Hospital in an Ambulance. (car I was in hit a telephone pole.) I was just about 20. And yes, they cut ALL my clothes off of me--ALL undies were white--never saw them again. I can only hope the were nice AND clean. (too long ago for me to remember)

So I too think that clean/not risque undies are a "must" when you leave the house-- notme

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image