Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#107843 Aug 11th, 2007 at 02:14 PM
Murray Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi World,

I've got crispy brown tips on the leaves of my Dracanea plant and I'd like to know what may be the cause of this, otherwise the plant is fine.

I know it's probably an easy question, but I'm a bit of a novice!

Can someone advise my, please?

Murray

1k Posts
1k Posts
Here it's caused by the salts in our tap water. We're told to flush through when we water, and not to water shallowly.

Hi, Murray. I know it has been a while since you posted this question but hope I may be of some help. I originally came from Auckland &, if I remember correctly, the tap water there is fluoridated. Dracaenas of any breed do not like fluoride, apparently, nor chlorine, but that can be removed by letting the tap water air for about 24hrs. Fluoride can't. You may have to use a tap filter, bottled water (expensive option) or collect rain water. As yet, the tap water here is not fluoridated & a dracaena deremensis, whose leaves were browning when bought, has perfect new foliage since using the "aired" water. Same with my "Lucky Bamboo", but I also have another two dracaenas that don't seem so fussy. Anyway, hope this is of some assistance to you & go the "All Blacks"!!!! (NZ's national Rugby team for those aren't rugby followers).

Murray Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much for this advice.

I know it's been over a year and I've just gotten around to checking this post - my how time flys!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image