Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#126743 Sep 9th, 2007 at 05:07 PM
OP Offline
Anybody know anything about plectranthus? I bought several this year from my local high school plant sale and they've done really well. I'm just hoping that I don't need to uproot them and bring them inside for the winter. It would be great if they could stay in the ground, continue to bush out and make fabulous cover around the base of my really ugly holly.
Please help! I have no idea whether my newest baby is annual or perennial. I can't find it anywhere in the forum, nor any book I've looked in.

Thanks!

Snapdragon
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
There are different varieties, what kind do you have?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Since plectranthus (a S. African native plant) is only perennial in zones 10 and higher (possibly zone 9) it would only be an annual for you in DE.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Well, I'm not sure really about the variety - I'd never even heard of such a plant until this year. It is green with a white edging on the leaves which are very "almost scalloped". It's about 1.5 ft in height and the biggest one, which really leafed out, is about 2 ft across. It also is really smelly if you rub the leaves (smells kinda like a musky fruit). I absolutely adore it, so if I have to bring one in to have any next year, I will. If you know even anything about propagation that would be helpful (with it's current size it would be easier to try babies inside), given that my house looks like a very crowded greenhouse in the winter.
Thanks for any help you can offer! grin

Snapdragon
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it's related to coleus and it should easily root from cuttings. i'd still bring the main plant in anyway...

Zone 6b
1k Posts
1k Posts
commonly called 'Cuban Oregano'

mint family should be perennial

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image