Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#124664 Sep 6th, 2007 at 05:07 AM
OP Offline
I took some babies from my mom's spider plant. I have them in water right now, but I wanted to know if I could just put them in a pot. I want to make sure they don't die. There are quite a few. I'd like to put them in a larger hanging basket so they have room to grow and spread. If I do this while they are little, will it hurt them or stunt their growth? Someone told me they like to be close together or rootbound???
If I'm not making any sense, please let me know and I'll try to clarify myself.

Thanks
khorysmom

khorysmom #124682 Sep 6th, 2007 at 05:37 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
You can put them in soil as soon as the bbies hve some roots. I dont think giving them room to grow would stunt their growth. And I'm pretty sure they wont start to send out the runners where the babies live until they're root bound a bit.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #124685 Sep 6th, 2007 at 05:43 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Wrennie. I knew the question was probably silly, I've just never tried to grow a spider plant before. I wasn't sure when I could put it in soil.

Thanks again.

khorysmom

khorysmom #124732 Sep 6th, 2007 at 07:31 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I've put some in soil stright from the mom they've had rootlets just long enough to hold and might need toothpick therapy to keep in place.alot of time i'll start some in some soil in a pie plate& after a month or so stuff in a container or being I'm mild climate.I can plant in ground and they return cause my ground don't freeze.I DO have a hanging basket pot that I crammed a bunch of babies in 2005.It started blooming /sending babies this summer,but have been sending them out in trades.I use them as ground cover in some of ,my large pots too,besides the shade bed.I do know that if you let grow in water too long they will get leggy,they seem to grow better started in soil and can keep the soil moist as in bog when they start out then repot in container.They need their soil freshed up every few years also or they won't grow as well (plus my hot summers bake them slightly I'm sure)They like humidity.they will grow good in a bathroom for that reason.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #124768 Sep 6th, 2007 at 08:24 AM
OP Offline
Thank you njoynit. I'll put them in soil when I get home tonight then. I want them to be beautiful. Maybe I will put a plant in the bathroom just so it has come life in it.

Thanks again.
khorysmom

khorysmom #125189 Sep 6th, 2007 at 08:17 PM
njoynit,

so what you are saying is that spider plants need to be put in soil no matter what the size of the "babies". My mom today got me a slip of a very small spider plant (I still would like the ones you are going to send me) instead of putting it in water, i should put it in soil even though there isn't much of roots on this baby.

Is that correct?

Carla
Zone 6a
khorysmom #125252 Sep 6th, 2007 at 11:57 PM
There is danger of overwatering if you pot the babies in too large a pot.

Star Dancer #125324 Sep 7th, 2007 at 05:46 AM
OP Offline
Carla,
The spider babies are in the box you should be receiving today. =D

Star Dancer,
Would I be better off planting them in a smaller pot to start then? I don't want to kill them.

Thanks
khorysmom

khorysmom #125541 Sep 7th, 2007 at 02:47 PM
Yes, planting in a small pot is best. Then place the plant in bright indirect light and be careful not to over water. You won't have to repot them to a larger pot for quite some time. Spider plants will flower and reproduce faster if they are potbound.

Star Dancer #125671 Sep 7th, 2007 at 05:56 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:Spider plant...
I just put the things right in the soil without cutting them off the mom.
They grow without much care at all......

bow

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #126782 Sep 9th, 2007 at 05:49 PM
I put a bunch of spider plants outside last summer in pots and in the ground and they did amazing. Lots of runners, flowers, big healthy leaves.

I repeated the process last May and I don't think any of them are any larger now than when I planted them.

Must have just been a bad summer.

the quiet ones are the ones who change the universe...the loud ones just take the credit
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

Yes it was the weather .....I had that happen to lots of the flowers.. Like the Red cypress vine......First year I had it out , It just went all over an arch way and covered it completely.. This time it is in a hanging basket and has just started to crawl.. Disappointing for sure.

Now the browneyed daisy vine .......Went crazy this summer, and last year it grew at a snails pace.

It is mother nature.........Dont let her drive you crazy , just keep on planting and fool her.. Ha ha .

I have the spider plant also .....It was off my sisters grave , about 10 years ago and it is still great......

Are you fall planting yet?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #140802 Oct 13th, 2007 at 06:24 PM
Hi!

I wish I would have seen this thread sooner. Hopefully I can still help a bit...

Just this past January I snipped some babies off of another plant. I had never grown a spider plant from a baby before, so when I searched it up, I found THIS thread from the old forum, and followed it. It worked like a charm for me! I really need to hand out a special thanks to Patty S, who posted that!

Anyway, I managed to get 5 out of 6 of the babies to root successfully in water. I kept 3 for myself, giving the other 2 away. Once they were ready to plant them in straight soil, I planted them in their own small (4inch, if I remember correctly) pot, and put them outside in May, but not in the direct sun. They were ready for a transplant in late June, so I bought a bigger pot (that I could hang) and put all three in that same pot.

In the 9 months since I have brought them home, they are still doing great, and are already having babies of their own! I just brought it in for the winter a couple of months ago and this is what it looks like now...

[Linked Image]

I'm hoping it will be a while before I need to transplant them again, or better yet, if it never needs it again. :)

Sam

SamJam #140804 Oct 13th, 2007 at 06:29 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

Looks good to me.
It will grow quite a while in that pot .....If it gets too long of branches, just clipping them will help.

They are an easy plant to keep going. Good luck and keep going.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #140807 Oct 13th, 2007 at 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by dodge
thumbup

Looks good to me.
It will grow quite a while in that pot .....If it gets too long of branches, just clipping them will help.

They are an easy plant to keep going. Good luck and keep going.

Thanks! I was suprised that it started shooting out babies so soon to be honest. That's why I transplanted them into the bigger pot as quickly as I did. I have already clipped a few of the tips. Spidey (yes, I name my plants, lol) doesn't seem to like the tap water here (even after letting it sit a couple of days), and sometimes it cause the ends to turn brown. I'm seriously thinking of buying bottled water for it, since it only seems to need water once every two weeks or so.

Thanks again!
Sam

SamJam #140814 Oct 13th, 2007 at 06:42 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
flwr

THey do naturally get brown on the leaves..I wouldn't water too much .. My water is hard water and they live for years here....
You can just let the babies hang like that.. They dont have to be cut off.. It looks even nicer when it has about 15 of the branches hanging around it .

You dont have to take them off to grow.

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #146082 Oct 27th, 2007 at 07:31 AM
My spider plants are all children of one that I had years ago, they are almost indestructible. I don't bother rooting them in water anymore. I just snip off the babies and stick the rooty end into some wet soil. I don't think I have ever had one fail to grow. All my friends have them now and I offer them to strangers at times. I have three or four going now. Anyone who wants babies can feel free to PM me with an address and I will send out a few.
My cat loves to eat them, so the availability varies depending on how often she gets access to the plant.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by delawaredrew; Oct 27th, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
delawaredrew #146095 Oct 27th, 2007 at 08:06 AM
This one gets very little light and light watering, same plant as above but this is a better pic:
[Linked Image]

delawaredrew #146112 Oct 27th, 2007 at 09:24 AM
I love the statue in the pot. thumbup I have my 9 year old spider plant mixed with some purple passion and they look great together. flwrI place it outside in the summer and the pp sends out a beautiful yellow flower (that it never had indoors) and those flowers stay all summer. Winter is totaly different tho. boohooit suffers, but come summertime its ready for a hard trim and out it goes again. I stick the babies in wet dirt also and just watch the grow. thumbup

I love my garden
delawaredrew #146152 Oct 27th, 2007 at 11:01 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

That's very nice .Is that a ceramic type container?
I sometimes use margarine tubs.

YOur doing very well..........

Mine is more white in it..one of these days I will take a photo.
I am very busy hunting leaves photos,

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #148059 Nov 2nd, 2007 at 05:23 PM
Statue is a Benihana restaurant drink cup, I have 8-9 different ones, found most of them at a Salvation Army.
Pot is just a cheap plastic one, I wanted a light-weight one to put on that stand.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image