Rate Thread
#125310 Sep 7th, 2007 at 05:14 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I asked Nana in a pm for her recipe for freezing mashed potatoes. We love them in our house, but now I am only allowed 1/4 cup once a week of them. That is a bunch of work to make mashed potatoes and only end up with such a small portion! So I was glad to remember that she freezes hers and wanted to know how she did it. Maxi thinks mashed potatoes are better than any other kind and there is no reason he should go without just because I can't have them. So, I am going to make a batch and freeze them in single servings that can be thawed out from time to time for his supper.

I'm using fresh potatoes, the better part of a 5 lb bag
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Evaporated Milk
I will mix them with my electric mixer rather than my hand-held smasher.

How do y'all make mashed potatoes? And does anyone else freeze them besides Nana?

For holidays I always like to add tiny tiny bits of turnip, to get the golden flecks shot through the white mashed potatoes. Then it is really festive!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #125403 Sep 7th, 2007 at 08:50 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I don't add butter or milk to my potatoes except for at holidays, kind of a treat then. We eat potatoes here everyday so i don't like to add extra.

I have frozen them before but wasn't happy with the results. Try a small batch first in case.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #125438 Sep 7th, 2007 at 09:17 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
I am a garlic freak. I usually add to about 4 large potatoes 3-6 large cloves of garlic. Boil it with potatoes and smash with potatoes. I sometimes use sour cream instead of butter and milk. Other times I add a smidge of milk and then some parmesan and cheddar cheese, with some pepper and garlic salt.

My kids's favorite way to eat smashed tators is something we call sheepdogs. Take hot dogs and slice them open lengthwise, being careful not to cut all the way through. Gently open them and lay in a cooking dish, then put huge dollops of cheddar smashed potatoes (with sour cream and cheddar) on top of the open hot dogs. Baked at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with a wee-bit of additional cheddar and toss in until cheese is gooey.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #125517 Sep 7th, 2007 at 01:06 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sarah ~ Maxi can't wait til I get our oven fixed so we can try this recipe! He loves the sound of it AND the name of it! Sheepdogs!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #125537 Sep 7th, 2007 at 02:06 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Just to clarify, the smashed tators goes in the cut-open part of the hot dog and where I said "toss in until gooey" I meant toss into the OVEN until gooey. Sometimes I surprise myself with what I write. lol

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #125542 Sep 7th, 2007 at 02:56 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by LandOfOz
Sometimes I surprise myself with what I write. lol

You are too funny. But I knew what you meant!

I understood you did not mean for me to toss the oven.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image