Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#124957 Sep 6th, 2007 at 02:13 PM
~NL~ Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I recieved my iris collection yesterday and need to plant it. There are 15 different varieties in the collection. I was talking to a friend of mine today, and she said I needed to plant the different types away from each other, so they do not cross pollinate.

My question is.... Is this true? If so, how far away should I plant them from one another. I have grown iris's before but they were of the same type. So I am stumped! Please help!! prayers

Shirl

graffixofeden.net
"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears."
~NL~ #124978 Sep 6th, 2007 at 03:32 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
You should plant them so that they can clump (I believe make a triangle with three plants?) the rhizomes will not 'breed' and turn into another variety, but if you are collecting seeds, they will probably be cross bread if they are in the same garden

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #124986 Sep 6th, 2007 at 03:38 PM
~NL~ Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
You are such a sweetie for answering me so quickly, kennyso!

I only have one rhizome of each variety, and do not plan on collecting seeds off of them. They are going to be beautiful once they bloom.

Thanks again

Shirl

graffixofeden.net
"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears."
~NL~ #125393 Sep 7th, 2007 at 08:39 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
No problem Shirl, I was looking up info on planting iris cuz I just got a small lot from the community garden and I just happened to see your post...coincidence?

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image