Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Never did a thing in the past week, the rain has stopped but the wind and freezing weather has hit.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well I've got half of the garden watered. And one row of crocuses dug up and a start on the first row of daffodils. It's going to take some time but I'll get them all dug up. Or at least try.

[Linked Image]
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I think I planted my bulbs too sparsely, I only ended up planting about half of the bulbs from walmart and not the iris or crocuses yet. I left a circle with 4" radius around each bulb, cuz the packaging said space them 4", but I think that was a bit too much. I planted everything about 4" deep allium, narcissus, and tulip. The arum I read is hardy to z6 and some say to z5. but for safety, I did them about an inch deeper and will cover the entire thing with fallen leaves once they begin to fall (I want about 2" of leaves)

As for the extra bulbs, I was thinking of planting them out later or in post later and leave them out, then bring them in starting in February and let them flower inside. If postage wasn't so expensive I buy more bulbs and send the extras to whoever wanted them

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Postage would cost you more than the bulbs Kenny. Nice thought though.

I only plant my bulbs in October, I thought you couldn't plant them this early.

Mind you I have planted so many bulbs and have not seen any flower out of them, the moles did a number on them two years ago. Seems only the daffodils make it with no trouble, so I will be planting up some more as soon as I can get some.

Today I need to mow my dandelions(if it stops raining), the grass has stopped growing but the frost doesn't seem to bother the weeds.

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I started my fall clean up, we had frost again this morning. I need to get my bulbs dug up and seperated today.

5k Posts
5k Posts
nervousfrost! nervous
its been getting chilly here in the nights n mornings, but so far no frost!

i just weeded n waterd, picked 4 tomaotes grin every thing but a few tomatoes, n a few califlower died in my vegie garden boohoo gonna try another spot next year. boohoo think this is my 4 year trying to grow a pumpkin patch

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
No frost here yet either!!! but is is supposed to rain today. thumbup

Christy: I gave up on pumpkins & cantelope & such--my plants do real well until say the middle of July & then no matter what I do they die from the heat. tears

I am doing not much other than watering & weeding right now--not even much harvesting-- tears--

I am going to put in some blackberry plants this fall & another flower bed either this fall or next spring though. clap

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
5k Posts
5k Posts
shockcarol thats exactly what mine do! they get so lush, flower, n maybe if im lucky a pumkin will start to grow then wham! they all die, boohoo
i noticed a few gardeners around my area are growing them in part sun/ part shade, witch i thought was wierd cause were a colder zone, but im gonna try it next year n see how they do. prayers

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've completed the watering. I'm trying to figure out number of pots I'm going to need in what sizes to transfer everything to the new place when the time comes. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Well it looks like the rest of the daffodils and the tulips are gone. That hurts because some of the tulips were gifts from my friends here and I had never seen them bloom. But I'm going to muster a stiff upper lip and just keep at it.

I transfered the first clusters of lillies of the valley to pots and dug up the chocolate mint plants. They smell luscious. I have to take some water down for them to drink. And I'm going to bring up the chocolate mint to perfume the apartment. I love that stuff. Hopefully with some tender loving care I can get it back into good shape so that when I transplant it, it will be as large as it was at the beginning of the season. Today is a relatively nice day so I want to do as much as I can.

Last edited by tkhooper; Sep 6th, 2007 at 06:32 AM.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Tammy, do you have a restaurant near you? They throw away containers from small to large. Here they give them away free.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Ok I dug up the 3 small burgandy mums, 3 columbine from Bills packet of seeds from the race sponsorship program, the pineapple mint, the rest of the lillies of the valley. And the nodding onions that still haven't bloomed after two years. Plus one of the small eqyptian onions. There are still two of those in the ground. But I want a bigger pot for one of them because it is doing very well. I still have some to go but not to many. So today was definitely a day of progress. I also borrowed a shovel from my landlord so that I can put the compost in the 33 gallon trash can that I used to use for compost. That will be a great way to move the compost. And considering how long it takes me to turn it I figure I better get a start on it early. I'll still need to get at least one more trashcan before I can move all of it but I'm sure one will turn up.

You can tell I'm ready for the move right? It's because of the amount of damage my garden here sustains everytime I turn around. The lastest is that someone has stepped on the peppermint. Grrrrh.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
tammy, are you moving far from where you are now?

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Got the daffodils seperated and replanted (I still want more though), moved a Red prince Weigela to it's final destination and trimmed back alot of things. Moved some coneflowers as well(they have invaded me). Spread seeds everywhere(gonna be sorry when they come up and I have no clue what they are lol )

Only thing left to do is move the two burning bushes that I thought were dwarf and read the tag and they are not. They get 9 ft by 9 ft, wow.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Ok picture me green with envy. You have a Weigela. I love those plants. I'm not familar with the Red Prince variety but I've never found one I didn't love yet. Maybe I'll put that on my wish list.

Tamara, no it's not to far. About a mile maybe a mile and a half. I can't walk it but I think the plants will make the transfer without to much trouble. At least that is my hope.

I didn't get back into the garden. It started to get hot so I stayed in the house. Hopefully tomorrow it will be cool in the moring to and I can get back out there and do some more. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well the rain chased me back in.

I have lots of Weigelas. I have Red prince, Pink princess, Variagated, Minuet and two unknowns.

The transfer should go well, is it going to take much work to get your new garden area ready?

5k Posts
5k Posts
yea! i got impatience seeds today! one poped in my hand wile i was getting them, reminded me of those popy things we use to squeez just to pop em! lol
also collected more cosmo seeds:} bright lights,seashells,white,n sensations, think the daydreams are almost ready to be picked;}

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It is currently lawn so I will have to pull up the sod and amend the soil but that should be pretty easy since the soil looks to be good soil to begin with.

After fighting with clay for the last few years this will probably seem like an easy job.

Maybe after I get established we could take a cutting trade for some of your Weigelas. I think they are fantastic plants.

Congrats on your collecting sibyl.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wish you were closer. In the fall, plants go on clearance here. I got two of my 'unknown weigelas' for $2 a piece.

Christy, soon be time for some pics of your gardens.

I'd rather chuck sod as well then till it.

I love it when it's time to start getting seeds too Christy. I think I like the whole cycle of it. Since this was my real first year that I started everything from seed, some from seeds I got from the swaps (thank you to all), others from ones I bought, and other from who knows where because I know for a fact I did not plant any Violas this or last year and since this is a new development why, however I did plant some petunias last year and I guess it must have re-seeded even tho I tried finding the seed pod on it last year it just always seemed to be cut off when I would go and look, I now have one of them blooming, all this makes me love my garden even more. So I am waiting patiently to gather more seeds. And hoping that we don't get frost anytime soon prayers . And I haven't done much in my garden aside from collecting seeds as well. Mother Nature is taking care of the watering and I don't have very many weeds growing at all, everything now is just waiting, and waiting. Now what I might do today is try and put together a type of hoop house for my tomatoes. I covered them last night, but did not do too good a job because I was a bit tired (read tipsy) when I got home (no I did not drink & drive, that's what designated drivers are for grin) and it was really dark. So if I can make something that will be fast and easy I'll be very happy.

Nuria
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I got a small lamb's ear plant from someone down the street, and it's already got five plantlets attached to it. I can see why its invasive, but I just love the foliage! I wouldn't mind letting it cover the semishade spot where the drying machine exhaust is and it seems to be the only thin that thrives there aside from the MGs. I've been religiously collecting MG seeds so they don't self seed that much. Boy are they tough! I just pinch off the seedlings at soild level and they can still grow without the cytocoldens (seed leaves). I dug up the badly crowded iris and divided then and replanted them. Some of them were from Sarah I think (LandofOz) and they sat in my room from last july and I got them planted in feburary. Then, in two months in april, I had to dig them up to move them to the new house. though they didn't bloom, I could tell they're healthy from their roots. I'm surprised that they are this tough! I might go out to plant the rest of my alliums, narcissuses, and tulips. I still haven't figured out a spot for my few dutch irises and the saffron crocuses.

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I so know what you mean kennyso. I've been trying to make a garden plan for the new place and it's hard. I know there has to be space for everything because it is a bigger space than the one here. But then I keep adding stuff lol.

So far today I've watered and gotten the kalanchoe ready to go to church. I hope they find homes.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My lambsear has multiplied but it's not become invasive like mint or vinca majora. Also lambsear grows up too so I like that about it. It doesn't seem to show up in different places as do some invasive plants. At least here it just multiplies around where the original plant is so it's easy to pull up if I need too.

Kenny, to where are you moving?

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Haven't done a thing out there in days... hopefully I'll get things in gear this week.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Sheri, we moved a while back but the garden is as if its new. I'm quite proud actually what I've done since we moved here:

Dug two small beds which I showered with annual seeds (they're in bloom right now!)

Dug a raised bed with railroad ties (dropped off at our door from a friend) and planted bulbs in it (temporarily housing as a cutting bed for the butterflybush pieces)

Thinned out the way out of control spireas and trimmed them drastically to a more managable size.

Divided and replanted the crowed out irises which the owner left behind

Salvaged, trimmed and pruned a rose of sharon into shape and got it to bloom (well...ma nature got the flowers to open lol)

Thinned out a thick patch of lily of the valley (these were next to a peony and the shoots wer egrowing inside the peony!)

My plans now are to (since its warm just 24*C to move what I need to, namely the Hollyhocks from against the side of the wall to the small bed.

Start buying more bulbs and planting soon

Maybe start to prepare bulbs for forcing by getting them in the fridge so I can have blooms for christmas (not likely as my mom probably won't let me)

Order some paperwhite bulbs (I love these! They smell so nice and are so easy to force!)

I also want to start a leaf mould pile (just pile fallen leaves into a pile to get leaf compost...maybe I shouldn't use mould!)

[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Gee Kenny, you're so industrious. I have a lot of leaves too and the main things is to keep them turned or they sit there forever. I guess they need oxygen or something to really break down but they make beautiful mulch in the end.

I have to admit I haven't been doing much either but checking to see if my tomatoes have finally ripened. And I come back every day empty handed, except for one here and there. I did have a salad tonight with purple, red, green and yellow tomatoes. It not only looked good but was delicious. We've had weather in the 20's (celcius) the past 2 days, but we are going to dip to around 1°c tomorrow night with a chance of snow and worse than snow, FROST. nervous . I need a quick fix for the next couple of days so I don't have to go picking all the toms off the vines. I am going to try building a new "hoop house" this year last years was good but from removing the plastic off of it too many times it got riped.

Nuria
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh, I see Manitoba got snow. Did it hit you as well Nuria?

Still raining here.

Nope (thank goodness) but it's a little cold and it rained all night, which is good because I didn't water much the last few days. Tamara I feel for you. What a bummer of a summer. I'm still trying to figure out how I am going to build this greenhouse/ hoop house. The worst part it will get really cold tonight and the rest of the week looks awesome. And the rain isn't helping matter 'cuz now all the wood I was going to use is wet.

Nuria
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
cancogirl, what does your G mean?

Green Bay Packers team Logo. One of my Fav football teams.

Nuria
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, there was frost this morning.

The strangest thing has happened, after the storm went through I cut most things to the ground. Now in the back corner of my house I have daylilies and roses starting to bloom, they never bloom here in September.

I hauled some manure to my veggie ground, that's it.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It rained so I'm ok. Now we are not moving until January or later so I guess I'll be replanting most of the things I dug up. I don't have room for all of it in the house. I just can't seem to get it right lol.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh Tammy but if you replant them, how will you dig them up in January?

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The ones that disappear I guess I'll have to keep in pots. We seldom get a really hard freeze although we do occassionally get snow of some thickness. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do. I'm not the greatest planner anymore. Believe me I'll take all helpful suggestions.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I keep forgetting that some people live in warmer climates lol here in January we'd have almost 10 feet of snow down already.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Yep I'm definitely in a warmer climate. And a good thing too because I can't keep my balance on anything slick. I always fall.

[Linked Image]
Tamara,we had our first frost as well. Blah, and now the next few days temps of 20°c +. Everything survived tho, and my little hoop house thingy I made yesterday worked great. I might be able to hold off for a couple more weeks untila really hard frost hits. (Here's me keeping my fingers crossed so my toms have a chance to ripen outdoors.)

Nuria
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Heavy frost this morning 0*C(32*F) out there, haven't dug in the ground lately. I replaced siding all day yesterday.

500 Posts
500 Posts
Here in New Hampshire we haven't gotten a frost yet, but am sure it is right around the corner. I spent the day cutting back lots of day lilies and other plants that were ready. I checked over to my neighbors as I work in her garden some and found a gold mine! Little baby rose Champion has started up all in her grass. I dug them all up and transplanted them into her garden and some in my own garden where I want them to spread. My husband was not impressed with the wholes I left in the yard and I explained I had to as at probably 4.50 a plant at a nursery I was saving lots of money.lol

Ladyslipper

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
It's been cool, just reaching 15*C today high...I ripped out all the annuals and put them in the compost bin. I planned to scatter some mung beans into the beds, as a cover crop to put nitrogen into the soil. I might buy some more bulbs and plant them instead of planting so many annuals next year. I also ripped out the morning glories and all the seeds I spread on the ground (I already collected a box full) so that they will sprout then the frost can kill all the sprouts so I don't have so many babies next year...smart eh? lol I have a bit more extra money now from delivering flyers so I plan to buy more bulbs and save some for summer bulbs (callas and others) when they come out in April. I want to order paper whites but I'll have to see...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image