Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#124934 Sep 6th, 2007 at 12:04 PM
tiny450 Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone have any ideas on gardening for the future? We shots live in Northeast Wisconsin where it was extra dry this summer..kinda of a weird dryness...my roses are going kaput no matter how much I water, our vegetable garden is going kaput.. whyI told a surgeron at work I wanted to start growing cactus, he said with the lack of rain even they would dry up...so any ideas folks? rose

Hi Tiny - I'll leave ideas for dry gardens to those better placed to give them as here in England we have just had what is offically our wettest summer since records began!

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well if your local governments allow for it catching rainwater and storing it is a good idea.

Also using grey water is a good idea.

Then when you do water a plant water it deep so that the roots go deep. The deeper the roots go the more drought tolerant the plant will be.

Next use plants that are drought tolerant in the first place.

Also make sure you use plenty of compost in your garden. The biomatter will absorb the water rather than allowing it to run off.

A good mulch will also help your soil retain moisture.

If you get flooding once a year or so like some areas you might want to think of a cystern. A plastic one was on a tv program today it's weight was 180 pounds for a 11,000 gallon tank.

That's about all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure people will have many more suggestions for you.

I forgot drip irrigation is also a fantastic way to conserve water. It puts the water where it needs to be and helps prevent many types of plant diseases as well.

Last edited by tkhooper; Sep 6th, 2007 at 03:07 PM.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image