Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#123384 Sep 4th, 2007 at 12:44 AM
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi!! It is coming up to spring here (not that we have much of a Winter really, tho' it is a bit wild & woolly today!) & I have a question for yo clapur cluey members. I have an aechmea fasciata "Primera" which I bought a few mths ago. It was in full flower which lasted until recently.It has sent out five offshoots which have grown quite quickly, I would like to know what (& how)to do with them. The aechmea lives on a small patio which faces SW, (our cooler side) & seems to like this arrangement, along with the kentia palm, maidenhair fern, zygo (holiday) cactuses & other shade enjoying plants. We also have another small patio facing ENE (the sunnier side) for the potted plants that like a bit of sun & warmth. All of them, including the indoor plants, are doing well, touch wood!!! We have only been in this unit for several mths & it seems to be a good place for potted plants thumbup It has renewed my interest in house plants after a long period of hibernation, & now, having finally joining the information highway have found this great forum, which also seems very friendly claplove the icons too & am having fun to know how to use them!!! Many thanks, in anticipation of any assistance wavy

Hi.I can't help with this problem.I just wanted to say welcome.

Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
RE: Hi from a new member from Australia.

Many thanks littlelizard for your welcome, it is much appreciated. I have no doubt my aechmea problem will soon be solved!!

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Welcome Joyous2!

I cant even pronounce "aechmea fasciata "Primera" " isit a houseplant?? Post your question in the houseplants forum and you'll get a lot more response to it thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your welcomes. Yes wrennie, it's a house plant & its pot is getting rather crowded with all its "babies"!!!! This is just a quick hi, am going shopping & will probably buy some more potted plants (naturally). Bye!!

Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, happy day!!! Did buy some plants (of course), a small tray of lobelias to pot for a display of flowers over the next few mths, don't know how long they last, have never grown them before. Our climate is such, that basil becomes a weed, just keeps on growing!!! So that may have a bearing on their lifespan, hope so. But the highlight was buying a Wollemi pine, magnificent!!!!! Never, ever thought we would own one, such an ancient & weird tree, it's particularly impressive. Thanks wrennie for your advice re the aechmea, I'll post it on the House Plant forum. Byee

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is a bromeliad.
I will answer what my book says in your other thread. I want to welcome you to the forum. Nice to have new friends. I swear, I am going to Australia the next time I'm down that way. I keep getting stuck in New Zealand and haven't gotten past the Tas.
Welcome from hot southern California.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Welcome to the forum.

khorysmom

Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks jonni13 & khorysmom for your welcome. I grew up in NZ before coming to Australia & now live in the sub-subtropical region of nthn NSW on the Pacific coast. Good for most house plants except those that insist on some frost etc. I don't have a garden, just a good number of potted plants inside & outdoors. Keeps me happy & exercises the, almost, green thumb!! Bye for now, happy gardening.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

Joyous2;

Welcome to USA form............Hope you plants grow like the kangaroos jump.
ha ha .Welcome to the forum and jump right in and offer you advices.

call me dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joyous2:
Welcome to the forum!!!!

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Dodge & JunieGirl,or g'day as they say in our neck of the woods. My plants do seem to be doing their best to act like kangaroos!!!! Some seem particularly happy, thank goodness, & they do reward you for the TLC they receive, don't they?? Bye for now.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
We hope so...... lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Hi Joyous!! I have seen you posting around, and joining in with us!!! I'm sorry this welcome is so late but I did want to get my welcome in also!! grin

You will find lots of gardening and houseplant help on here; lots of fun places in Banter Hall and Gardeners Chat!!! There's many talented people in various crafts, here; and of course we invite you to come chat with us in the Coffeehouse!!! Because of workers, retirees etc. we seem to have a morning group of people, a daytime group, and evening group. Once in awhile on Friday and Saturday nights we even get to partying in the Coffeehouse!!
So search the forum, find things of interest to you, and please, talk to us so we can get to know one another!

See...I'm so late that you probably know all of this already! lol lol
But I still wanted to extend you a personal invitation. I look forward to talking to you and getting to know you.
Shirls wavy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Many thanks Shirls. I'm rather slack as I've only just seen your welcome!!! Still enjoying finding my way around, both the forums & the keyboard, never was a typist. I guess the time difference (it is 12MD Tues here @ the moment) may be a bit of a barrier to any free flowing banter, but I'll pop in at various times of the day (or night). Thanks again for your welcome.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image